NEPA visit- Mtbr.com

Thread: NEPA visit

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

NEPA visit

I'll be visiting family in Harvey's Lake next week. I rode Francis Slocum a few times last year, liked it but found it short maybe I missed some. I've heard good things about Moon lake, anything else I should hit? I'm rehabing a broken leg so l I'm still a little sketchy on technical stuff

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Oh you found it alright

Moon Lake, 20 plus miles of any skill level trail avaliable to you!

Wednesday night rides

All info is in the websites and sig lines below.

Stop by the park office and get a map

See ya on the trails

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by murph62903
    I'll be visiting family in Harvey's Lake next week. I rode Francis Slocum a few times last year, liked it but found it short maybe I missed some. I've heard good things about Moon lake, anything else I should hit? I'm rehabing a broken leg so l I'm still a little sketchy on technical stuff
    If you want a tour guide for Moon Lake, I'm there a lot and show people around all the time. Throw a yell here or email me at [email protected] if you want to try and coordinate. With how wet it's been recently there are a couple of trails that get muddy. The Dark, JKE, Peek-A-Boo, and the Skinny trail that are marked on the map are the bad ones if it stays wet. There are a few others that you won't damage the trail, but the trail might damage you if it's wet.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Chris:

Rode mOOn tonight and the Dark is only muddy in a 30 foot stretch the rest is good due to the amazing Moon soil. At the Stewart race this past Sunday there were stretches of trail that were under 2 feet of water for 50 yards in many places!

All hail the mOOn...LOL!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Being from Vermont I hear you on the wet trails. I'm heading down Sat and will be there until July 5. Weather permitting I'd like to ride most days in the morning around 8, the afternoon is pretty much reserved for the family. Anybody up for a morning ride?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm planning on wandering around Moon Lake tomorrow (aka Sunday the 27th) and could make sure I get there at some time I could meet you and show you around if you want. It looks like thunderstorms possible later in the day, so morning is likely the best idea anyway. I need to hit a specific trail or two to GPS for the maps, but I could do them any time.

I'll throw out a suggested route for you. The map http://chriffer.com/MoonLakeMap is slightly better than the park office has. Start off from the from the office at the front gate and head to Nature's Way over a little brown bridge. That trail will be a nice warm up, and will turn into a service road. If you take this until the "stone" steps, it'll turn rightward and up. Look for T-Rex 2 on the left. That will spit you out into the campground which you can cross and find Screamer on the opposite side. Go down this, and the Dark is fun, but a bit wet at the end.

Because of the wetness there's no great link up from the end of the Dark, but if you head rightward from the fence the trail ends on to the paved road make a left on it and follow that for just for a bit there will be a trail on the left that's called Buddy's and takes you up the hill mirroring the road. This bring you up to the Nature Center parking area where you can link up with Big Blue behind the Nature Center and loop around back to where you started.

There are plenty of bailout options and trails like Salamander, T-Rex 1, Edge of the Ledge, Burt's, Moto, 5 Tree, that you could add onto the basic loop with if you are looking for more excitement. There are a few bike playground/trail areas along that loop too, one called Deacon at the end of Nature's Way, one where Edge of the Ledge hits the campground area, and another at the Nature Center.

Down NFS, across the Flume, and up 5858 is a lot of fun, but it's a pretty mean and technical climb back up. It sounds like you have plenty of time to try out the different possibilities.

ganginwood
    do you have a road bike? good rides from the lake on wednesdays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Guys thanks for the info. I rode the moon yesterday morning great trails. Chris I followed your loop, with a few variations. Heading back today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Guys thanks for the info. I rode the moon yesterday morning great trails. Chris I followed your loop, with a few variations. Heading back today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Went to the moon this morning and the gates were closed, I guess the park is closed monday and tuesday so I headed over to francis slocum. Is it o.k to ride the trails when the park is closed? If not where should I ride tomorrow?
    F.S was good, muddy in a few spots especially on the trail to the left when heading in, and nice armoring in wet areas I rode everything and doubled back on most of it, just not enough trails there.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by murph62903
    Went to the moon this morning and the gates were closed, I guess the park is closed monday and tuesday so I headed over to francis slocum. Is it o.k to ride the trails when the park is closed? If not where should I ride tomorrow?
    F.S was good, muddy in a few spots especially on the trail to the left when heading in, and nice armoring in wet areas I rode everything and doubled back on most of it, just not enough trails there.
    Moon Lake is open full time this Thursday and beyond. Mt biking is allowed 365/24/7 and you park outside the gate and ride the park, including night riding all year long as there is no hunting at Moon Lake. If your there after hours and have any problems call 911 for help.

Frances Slocum is always wet when it rains like it has, cause the trails were never correctly designed or to be ridden with mt bikes. Albie just walked around making trails...LOL

NEPMTBA continues to do all we can to improve the trails at FS. We were there yesterday cutting back never ending multi-flora rose pickers.Your correct about the lack of trails, and in the past we have worked with former PM Kris Baker and today work with PM Rex Bradish to expand to the other side of the park. Even with this expansion it wouldn't add much more in the trail mileage in the park. In the past I personally met with them working on and submitting a map plan to connect the two sides. One problem is the only trail that could connect the two sides is the Yellow trail that is off limits to bikes a documented as a self guided nature trail. Another problem is to link the two sides it would travel across the main park road and a very busy section of the park. One of our NEPMTBA members is a DCNR employee and he is lending a hand also. PM Bradish has my personal promise to help him with any designing, building, and maintaining any new or existing trails as NEPMTBA has been there since 2006 and will continue to try to formulate a plan to expand. We have an upcoming trail builders summit and I hope we will have good news in the near future.

Thanks...

Members who have read this thread: 0