NEPA tires recs,opinions, suggestions wanted- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

... and if we just ... NEPA tires recs,opinions, suggestions wanted

Beginner thinking about replacing the OEM tires (Continental Race Kings 2.2 - but look more like a 2.0 at best) on my 29 HT. Like riding at Lackawanna State Park, some ATV trails and Moon Lake when time permits. Some rides at Moosic but not often. 230 lb rider w/o gear - What new 29er tires to consider or avoid? More concerned about traction/durability than weight - not worried about racing at all - my lungs give out before anything else. Thanks,

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    big and burly: panaracer rampage

xc do it all: maxxis ignitor

summer hardpack fast tire: maxxis crossmark

light and big: schwalbe racing ralph 2.4

currently rockin a racing ralph front crossmark rear

for winter (really fall when the leaves come down) rampage/racing ralph front ignitor rear

but really there are lots of good options. personally i am not a fan of the wtb offerings for "our" style of trails but i know plenty of people who happily ride those as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I run panaracer rampages with great luck. They have held up great to rocks, etc. and the grip is great. Ignitors washed out a bit more on me and the sidewalls didn't last.

I was also really impressed with Serfas Krest. Durable, if a bit slow.

Chilling out
    i'm around 200# and when I ride a 29er it's a rigid 29er, and the Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.2" tires that I've got on my bike have been working great around here since July when I arrived.

Not fast, not light, not quite as burly as the Rampage (which IIRC are 2.35" tires), but have been doing me well enough.

I do run them tubeless (stan's strips on DT TK7.1 rims) and that's probably a factor.

mtbr member
    I have two 29ers a rigid and a hardtail and I use WTB Exiwolf tires on both......great for all types of riding!!
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

Thumbs Up!
    I have been riding the WTB Stout 2.3 on my 29'er in SE PA with excellent results.
    I ride rigid so it offers some "cush" and has great grip when it is wet. The only weak point but not an issue for you is the weight (900 grams)
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by J Ro
    I have been riding the WTB Stout 2.3 on my 29'er in SE PA with excellent results.
    I ride rigid so it offers some "cush" and has great grip when it is wet. The only weak point but not an issue for you is the weight (900 grams)
    Oh I almost forgot. They are currently on sale for $24.95 at Performance Bike.
    I am not in any way affiliated with Performance Bike. I'm just passing on a good deal.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

thanks for the replies,and mentionign the

WTB Stouts on Performance. Ordered the stouts from Performance for $17.99 a tire!! Couldn't resist at that price (lower price came up AFTER they were placed in cart) and if they prove too heavy in the rear I will just have to switch out to one of the other suggestions. Ironically, I had intended to get a Conti MT KIng for up front and leave the back the current Race King but I couldn't resist the Performance sale. Thanks for the heads up

Twagner
    Jan 2009
    I have two sets of conti and both are 2.1. They don't even look like 1.95. Has anyone else notice this? Do they run smaller then listed or do they just look small.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

yep, the Conti's ran smaller than stated for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Twagner
    I have two sets of conti and both are 2.1. They don't even look like 1.95. Has anyone else notice this? Do they run smaller then listed or do they just look small.
    do not know if it is still the case. Here and there I have seen people comment on it. IN my case, I have been experimenting with the air pressures f & r with the Conti Race Kings and their performance does improve with lower pressures (surprise, surprise right?) At 40 lbs in the wet they got too squirrely for me...

Members who have read this thread: 0