NEPA Downhillers?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

NEPA Downhillers?

Is there anyone in the Northeast part of Pa that frequents Mountain Crek or Platty? I've been into DH for 9yrs, but no one else seems to stick w/it that long. Aince Mtn. Creek is cleaning up, I'm getting a season pass but don't have anyone to carpool w/this year. One of my buddy's will be going, but prolly no more than once a month. If anyone from the Scranton/WB area is going this year, let me know! Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Amy and I have season passes to Creek. We go every weekend. Sunday would be the day for us most of the time. We live in Kingston. I have a trailer set up for 4 bikes. PM me for my number.
    Dave
    ahh...the sound of my hub when I coast.

Wizard of the Trail
    I have been wanting to try this DH thing for awhile. I know you can rent bikes and gear, but is there any instruction? I haven't left the ground intentionally since I was a kid. Sorry about the hijack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

eci
    Fahn, Ill be moving back sometime early summer and i will strong arm rogan into going every weekend. Not planning on a pass yet but will probably switch between creek and platty.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Once i actually build the Demo 8 up i'll be going......... That 650B Dragon is looking mighty tempting and poses a huge threat to steal some of the downhill build funds........

mtbr member
    Dave, I've always gone on Sundays but this year I'm working at Cedar on Sundays. Saturday will have to be my day this year unfortunately . Ice, I think they're both great places for their own reason. I really like the rough, old school feel of Platty. Creek is more convienent and has better variation though. Jay said he'd like to go about every other weekend. I'd like to go almost every week though. When are you moving back? ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

eci
    Most likely early June. I'm down for sat shreds that'd make the wife happy.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    Is there anyone in the Northeast part of Pa that frequents Mountain Crek or Platty? I've been into DH for 9yrs, but no one else seems to stick w/it that long. Aince Mtn. Creek is cleaning up, I'm getting a season pass but don't have anyone to carpool w/this year. One of my buddy's will be going, but prolly no more than once a month. If anyone from the Scranton/WB area is going this year, let me know! Ttyl, Fahn
    I'll be heading over from Bloomsburg a few times. I am looking forward to more riding this year compared to last, hopefully. Also hoping to head to 7 Springs, Whiteface, and maybe others, but Dia-- uh, I mean, Mountain Creek will be at the top of my list most likely.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Anyone going to MC tomorrow? I'm waiting to hear if my buddy's going or not. Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Chilling out

Good job!

Mr. Fahn,

I'll be heading out regularly to MC too - I also have a season pass - just a no-brainer from my point of view - and I'd be happy-to, nay, honored to ride share with you some time(s) - especially considering you were among the first to welcome me to NE PA and I have yet to spend trail time with you!

I will likely be heading out there a bunch with D&A, but I have more flexibility than Dave does and can also make Saturdays happen now and again.

For that matter once we get to the main part of the year I could also go out on Fridays too - my normal work days are Mo-Thu.

Six-Pack - it'd be great to finally get out there w/you, considering our failed attempts last fall! How'se the family doing?

Giest - MC does have intro packages but I don't know what they cover and all. I'm sure if you hooked up with me or Dave or Amy or any other "experienced" rider you'd have a good time! If you're going to rent (from there or Platty) be sure to reserve a bike ahead of time, via phone or online. If you want to head out there and just hook up and ride with me you'd be welcome and I'd do my best to give you good help - I've a long history of bike tutoring and while no Pro DH guy I am sure I know enough to get you started. I'm pretty sure D&A would welcome company too.

FWIW, I don't know if I'll be wanting to go MORE than weekly - I have big plans for AM riding this year too (especially once some special event in June happens *cough*cough*) but I didn't rebuild my Titus as a dedicated DH machine for wrenching practice.

;^)

Wizard of the Trail
    Bear, thanks for the invite. Much appreciated. Will probably look to do this come June or so. I have some medical issues that came up.

mtbr member
    That sucks Geist. Get better! ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Chilling out
    Geist, just shoot me a PM sometime.

It helps me out for anyone looking for a fri/sat ride hook-up if they express interest to me directly more than 24 hours in advance, BTW.

;^)

Wizard of the Trail
    Thanks guys!

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack View Post
    My schedule frees up a lot after the first week of June, so I am hoping to get more time on the bike then.
    noted, seems like I know a fair amount of people who'se schedules become easier to deal with after some point in May, why is that? Ha ha ha!

Glad the family seems happy - being a handful was to be expected I guess - lots of rides going to happen this year though!

trail addict
    Family is good. The younger one is a handful! I am hoping to get out to MC once in May, nothing definite yet, though. I had a few spring rides that were fantastic and now my bikes have been parked for like 3 weeks. I'm gonna go insane. Maybe tomorrow morning I'll get out a little to Geisinger or something.... maybe.....

Anyway, would love to catch up anywhere-still haven't been to platty or 7 springs, but MC is top of my list right now.

My schedule frees up a lot after the first week of June, so I am hoping to get more time on the bike then.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    7springs is a blast. Haven't been to mountain creek. Everyone at 7springs that has ridden MC said they like 7springs better. They say MC gets packed and crowded.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by scsabol View Post
    7springs is a blast. Haven't been to mountain creek. Everyone at 7springs that has ridden MC said they like 7springs better. They say MC gets packed and crowded.
    fwiw, I've been at MC on a pretty busy day and the longest I waited for the life was about 5 minutes. The lift itself takes about 6 to get to the top. A race-pace run down the hill will take 3-4 minutes, or longer.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Just from 7 springs on a festival weekend, there were no lift lines. Always hop right back on. No worries on the Mt of traffic or trail merges. Also no clowns there resting where they shouldn't be. I've just heard a lot of mixed views of MC. Launch bike park is also here, smaller but heard good things.

Chilling out
    I've only been to Launch once, will probably be back this year to see again - note that it does get warm there - warmer than MC in my opinion - maybe because it's in the same geographical region as Philly and not as tall a hill as MC - dunno.

mtbr member
    Don't put them down until you ride them all! They all have pros and cons. Like any trail, people will stop in obvious spots. Most of the time it's off trail. I went and rode MC today and it started off slow and muddy, but got packed quickly and became fast. It was good to team up with a couple riders from the past and some new guys too. I rode with Ringo for a bit who was new to DH. He was impressed with himself and what he could ride cause he originally didn't think he could. Anyway, it's good to have Marc Tremain back at the front of the helm. The mtn. will be getting better through out the whole year. ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Is it still considered diablo?

I want to hit up launch.

But not before I shuttle at Mt Penn.

Chilling out
    It is NOT - the *management* that made it "Diablo" is no involved, I understand that it is part of the same crew running it that runs the winter resort.

I am pretty sure that a bunch of the people that have been the getting-dirty doing-the-digging work are the same, but they were never the issue before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Was there yesterday. New Management , new attitudes. The updated trail work is a huge improvement. Good riding despite the wet and sometimes mucky conditions. Trail crew and staff motivated to remove bad taste left in a lot of people over the last couple years. Now i wish I had bought a season pass when they were on sale.

trail addict
    I though I would post back to here rather than start a new one..... It looks like June 9th will be my first trip of the year to Mt Creek! A bud and I will be heading out from Bloomsburg probably in my 4Runner. If he backs out, I may be looking for someone to car-pool with if possible (and Sunday may be a possibility in that case).

It would be cool to catch up with anyone else who may be there.

Chilling out
    I need to take M to the airport that day, but can't remember timing right now.

I could be headed out then after. ;^)

Sent from my brain using neurons fueled by caffeine

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    is it completely necessary to have a full on downhill bike for MC?? I have a Trek Fuel EX, would that be enough for some of the milder stuff there?? I'm not planning on going there and hucking huge drops or anything like that but would like to see whats its like there without having to rent a bike or anything like that. Thanks!!

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by crfnick56 View Post
    is it completely necessary to have a full on downhill bike for MC?? I have a Trek Fuel EX, would that be enough for some of the milder stuff there?? I'm not planning on going there and hucking huge drops or anything like that but would like to see whats its like there without having to rent a bike or anything like that. Thanks!!
    There's some stuff you could hit - you'd want to change the setup of the bike a bit - lower the saddle - maybe temporarily put on a shorter stem - just to make it more controllable and fun.

Depending on you and your skill level would decide really how far you could take it.

A viable alternative, depending upon where you are, would be to go hit of Launch bike park down at Spring Mountain. It's smaller than MCBP and would have more trail that you would be more comfortable on. I think the lift-pass is cheaper too, but I am not 100% sure.

Either way, plan on renting a full-face helmet and some armor, it's cheap insurance.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crfnick56 View Post
    It is not completely necessary, but keep in mind that most of the singletrack there is not pleasant on an XC/Trail bike and just bearable on an AM bike. You will be OK on the fireroads and a couple of the easiest trails. If you are inexperienced, then you will find your skills hold you back on the intermediate runs; if you are experienced, you will start to find the limitations of your bike quickly on the intermediate trails and the bike will definitely hold you back on the expert runs that you might otherwise be capable on.

IMO, if you just want to check it out, it is worth it to rent a bike and beat up something that doesn't belong to you (and is designed for the terrain), but I guess if you are only planning on going for the mild trails, then the fuel will be ok. Like Bear said, drop the seat (and shorter stem probably if you can scrounge one up) and I would also say it is worth it to check the brake pads before a day of lift-access riding. No lockout, minimum propedal, etc... you don't want pedaling efficiency, you want responsive suspension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If you stick to the Green and Blue traisl to the right off the lift you could pretty much use any bike. Like said above depends on your set up. short stem, soften up the rear a bit to slack the front angles out. get a full face helmet, and at the min knee protection.

Trails like Ego trip, deviant, breakout, domboo, and greenhorn are pretty mellow and buffed.
    would still be slow going on a 4 or 5" bike, but I have seen people do it.

Members who have read this thread: 0