Need roadtrip advice.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. Need roadtrip advice.....

My wife and I live in the Philadelphia area. For the second straight year, it looks like our trip to Kingdom Trails, VT is going to be canceled due to the weather. We're looking for an alternative road trip. Here are the requirements:

1) Must be less than 9 hours drive from the Philadelphia area
    2) Must be cross country/trail oriented riding...not looking for super technical, narly rocks or big downhill bombers....
    3) Must have a town near by with some good pubs, bars, etc.

We're looking for someplace that has multiple days of riding (3 or 4 days). It can all be at one location, or we can make stops on our trip if you care to suggest an itinerary.

We're looking for places that we haven't been, so here's a list of where we have been:

Dupont State Forest (NC)
    Patapsco (MD)
    Gauley area (WV)
    Harrisonburg (VA)
    WhiteClay (DE)
    Fairhill (DE)
    Blue Marsh (PA)
    Waywayanda (NJ)

Thanks for any suggestions!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The Jim Thorpe/Pocono area has some great riding, and that would probably be a 3 hour drive from Philly.

mtbr member
    Check out the threads on Raystown/Allegrippis - sounds like it may meet your needs.
    smells like cotton candy.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've been checking out Allegrippis since yesterday. It does sound perfect. That's where we're going!

mtbr member
    There's also a really nice rail trail (if you're into it for a change of pace) not too far from Huntington - the trail head is in the Alexandria/Water Street area. Alexandria also has a nice little sports bar/restaurant with great wings (Main Street Cafe I believe it's called - if it's still around - I haven't been to the area in a few years).
    smells like cotton candy.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Would any non-camper types who have been to Raystown care to recommend a place to stay ? Or tell me what place(s) to avoid, I'm talking about 3 to maybe 6 people.. don't wanna spend alot of money but at the same time.don't wanna sleep with roaches either ..you know,...nice but it doesn't have to be millionaire nice Thanks !

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Place to stay near Raystown

From what I hear, there's not a lot of options. We're going to be staying at the Comfort Inn in Huntingdon, because we want to be able to walk to a bar or restaurant at night. It's supposed to be 20 minutes from the trails. There are a couple of B&B nearby and maybe a motor lodge, but I think that's about it. Another cool option would be to rent a house boat on the lake at Raystown. http://www.7pointsmarina.com/ If we had more than just the two of us, that's probably what we'd do....just for the fun of it.

If anybody is going to be riding at Allegripis next week, drop me a line. We're always looking for friendlies to ride with!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sbermhb
    From what I hear, there's not a lot of options. We're going to be staying at the Comfort Inn in Huntingdon, because we want to be able to walk to a bar or restaurant at night. It's supposed to be 20 minutes from the trails. There are a couple of B&B nearby and maybe a motor lodge, but I think that's about it. Another cool option would be to rent a house boat on the lake at Raystown. http://www.7pointsmarina.com/ If we had more than just the two of us, that's probably what we'd do....just for the fun of it.

If anybody is going to be riding at Allegripis next week, drop me a line. We're always looking for friendlies to ride with!
    That's kinda what I am finding too.If you wouldn't mind,let me know how the Comfort Inn was.We're not going till Sept..Any "been there done that" info would be nice .Looks like your in for a fun weelend.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    theres really only at most two days of riding there at raystown, you might want to head up to Rothrock State forest, heading in at greenwood furnace going back to coopers gap for a day. maps etc are on the www.nittanymba.org site if ur interested

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Are there trails at Rothrock that aren't super technical? The wife prefers flowy trails with some challenges as opposed to challenging trails with some flow. I'd rather her confidence not get shaken or that she not have to spend the day hik-a-biking. Any recommendations at Rothrock?

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    its a tough call not knowing what your used to etc. theres definetly gonna be rocks no matter where u go in rothrock. you may want to put that on hold and go check it out yourself before subjecting ur wife to it. would hate to dampen her spirits.

Members who have read this thread: 0