Need Help!!township Problems.- Mtbr.com

Oct 2007

Need Help!!township Problems.

yesterday i got this letter from Lower salford township in montgomery county.its about my north shore drops and dj. i have 3 drops 2 - 5 footers and a 2 foot drop and two dirt jumps on my parents property which we do own. its two acres. i was wondering if anyone out there can help me.. ive put so much time and money into building these and do not want to tear them down. the letter goes

" Dear property owner :

the lower salford township in its last monthly meeting had the topic of your property brough before our board. we have received two complaints that the wooden ramps on your prperty constitute an "eyesore" to the neighborhood. we would like you to rememdy the issue of your own accord - so we can prevent the necessity of fines or further review before the board of supervisors.

i appreciate in advance your prompt attention to this matter and im sure this is just a case of a project that has "gotten away from you" - and as a homeowner we all have these issues from time to time.

sincerely douglas gifford
    lower salford board chairman."

thanks..
    Attached Images Attached Images

the unvarnished nonsense
    I'd tell them to go [email protected] off. And get a good lawyer.

Edit: From your townships site...
    Zoning permits are required for:
    ALL Detached Residential Accessory Use Buildings and Structures up to 500 sq. ft. in gross floor area.(Includes ALL Sheds uder 500 sq. ft.)

If you have over 500 sq/ft bulit, you might have an issue.

I'd still talk to an attorney, before doing anything.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Yeah ^^^ what he said. Also take some pictures of some other people's eyesores in their yards. You could also put up a privacy fence.
    Team _________

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Ignore them and take a drive around LS for some photos. I ride my roadie through here all the time and this is the least of their worries. Go to the next meeting with them and show off that your ramps are not that bad. Or you can ask the board what you need to do to remedy the eyesore, ie fence, screen planting etc..

You should know that for the Township to adress something like this, as neighbor or someone else had to lodge a complaint as it states in the letter. Find out who complained and why. Also, not really sure of the exact code definition of eyesore (I looked but the web site was down), but this is also somethign that is worth checking into. The only issue you may have is if they classify is as an accesory structure, you will likely have a certian distance it needs to be set back from your property line.

You should not be afraid to push the township about this issue! They should be willing to work with you on this. Call the code enforcement officer and ask him about it.

Whatever you do, be nice and polite! If you go into the situation all pi$$ed off, you lose before you start!

Good luck!

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    What was the date of the letter?

Here is a link to he BOS meeting minutes, didn't see anything in here about it.

http://www.lowersalfordtownship.org/...s/min-bos.html

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    You need fencing - to hide what you've built but also to help prevent any personal liability for your parents. If some neighborhood 7 year old hits your doubles and breaks his neck on your parents property when no ones home it will be ugly. People get sued all the time by people trespassing on to their land and hurting themselves. If you have fencing with locked gates then you're covered.

Oct 2007
    the date of the letter was june 1st. yeah i think ill def try to fight it. good ideas..thanks.. i would never be able to put privacy fence around our whole property..too costly..but im gonna see if i could plant some evergreens and maybe some fencing to stop it.. thanks

mtbr member
    Always one a$$hole neighbor to complain, definatly fight it, It's really a shame you can't do what you want on your own property nowadays. i hate crap like that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I can't really offer any advice to what has been said so far. But man, it looks like you have a fun setup there.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

So, once the neighbor on the right of my property had a paper burning barrel. He never used it much. The neighbor in front had a chimney inside his building approx 10 feet from my neighbors outside burner. The front neighbor used to burn paper/cardboard from his business everyday with no screen on the stack.

One day I find someone complained about my neighbors barrel. He called me to ask if I knew anything about this. I accompanied him at his house when the code officer showed up and we showed the CO the barrel was for cooking, but told him of the neighbors burning of cardboard sometimes even ended up on my car. He said ya but thats in a building so it's OK.... Hum? He asked if we were really going to eat the food we cooked on the burning barrel...

Well, the hot dogs weren't too bad, and to see the CO walk away in dismay, was priceless.

So, you might wanna have a picnic on your picnic/ramp tables!

Are there kids swing sets in your neighborhood? Are they fenced in? A 7 year old could get hurt on them or even hang them self on the chain not to mention the flying seat hitting then in the head!

It's all how you look at things...

mtbr member
    Give it to Mr Giffords daughter

mtbr member
    Maybe throw on a coat of paint so you can say that your project is finished.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I would ask the township what they want and find a way to work together.
    I would also place NO TRESPASSING signs every where.
    Also what Davis had said but I would check out the townships definition of a structure.

STRUCTURE
    Any form or arrangement of building materials involving the necessity of providing support, bracing, typing, anchoring or other protection against the forces of the elements.

If your ramps are not permanently attached to the ground you might be ok.
    good luck

pro
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    They couldn't even use proper grammar? Are you sure it's a legit letter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pro
    They couldn't even use proper grammar? Are you sure it's a legit letter?
    I imagine he retyped it. Probably was a written letter with a fake signature at the bottom.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Mount platers with flowers on the sides of all the structures. Then it won't be an "eyesore".

those are Rollercams...
    Honestly, it looks like crap. As a homeowner, I wouldn't want to have to look at it myself. However, it is your property and as long as it dosen't present any danger to anyone, it should stay. Put up a locked fence and tell the township to **** off.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie_a4
    Mount platers with flowers on the sides of all the structures. Then it won't be an "eyesore".
    ^^i like that idea

also, plant some ivy so it crawls up the pillars
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

Members who have read this thread: 0