NE PA trails?- Mtbr.com

Thread: NE PA trails?

Jun 2005

NE PA trails?

Hi I currently live in Texas, but will be home a bunch this summer visiting my family in the scranton area. I def. need to get some rides in when up there.

I'm gonna be home this coming weekend, but without the bike. I figure its not worth the haul right now with the weather.

I was gonna check out some trails (by hiking) and figure out where the best ones are while I'm up there. Anyone have some info for me? I'm also always up for trail work.

Oh I'll also be in the Philly area. So what's good there.

Any input would be great thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    just over the pa and de line theres white clay,great trials,there my local ones.also same distance,there the pa/md line and there u wil find fairhill....lots and lots of trails.im assuming thats the type of riding ur looking to do?fast winding singletrack,no bad climbs.BOTH PLACES ARE DEF. WORTH THE DRIVE!!!

my personal favorite is whiteclay(whitley farms/brians field loops)
    so this is how you add a signature!!

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyTX
    Hi I currently live in Texas, but will be home a bunch this summer visiting my family in the scranton area. I def. need to get some rides in when up there.

I'm gonna be home this coming weekend, but without the bike. I figure its not worth the haul right now with the weather.

I was gonna check out some trails (by hiking) and figure out where the best ones are while I'm up there. Anyone have some info for me? I'm also always up for trail work.

Oh I'll also be in the Philly area. So what's good there.

Any input would be great thanks.

I'm riding this Sat and Sun. I'm about 8 miles from Scranton. I could loan you a bike and we could ride some of my trails.

Lee
    e mail [email protected]

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    I'm riding this Sat and Sun. I'm about 8 miles from Scranton. I could loan you a bike and we could ride some of my trails.

Lee
    e mail [email protected]
    I shot you an email.

Thanks! I have saturday free for riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dd13
    just over the pa and de line theres white clay,great trials,there my local ones.also same distance,there the pa/md line and there u wil find fairhill....lots and lots of trails.im assuming thats the type of riding ur looking to do?fast winding singletrack,no bad climbs.BOTH PLACES ARE DEF. WORTH THE DRIVE!!!

my personal favorite is whiteclay(whitley farms/brians field loops)
    To drive from Scranton to the DE/PA border is a two+ hour drive, and in that the you spend driving, you can get in some great riding in the Scranton area, Carbondale/Fell Mt., Mountain Top nera Wilkes-Barre, and in White Haven, ... and of course Jim Thorpe is less than half the driving distance to DE.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    To drive from Scranton to the DE/PA border is a two+ hour drive, and in that the you spend driving, you can get in some great riding in the Scranton area, Carbondale/Fell Mt., Mountain Top nera Wilkes-Barre, and in White Haven, ... and of course Jim Thorpe is less than half the driving distance to DE.
    Where do you ride in White Haven?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by poconoceancity
    Where do you ride in White Haven?
    Haven't done it in two or three years, but the best trail is a combination old railroad bed and fire roads that can take you to Crystal Lake and then to Mountain Top near Wilkes-Barre. I forgot the name(s), if there actually is a name. I originally found out about if from the bike/ski shop in WIlkes-Barre, Country Ski and Sport. They used to sell topo maps with some trails marked on them, or some of the people working in the shop would mark up the trails for you if you had a map.

There's also the head of the Lehigh River Gorge trail, all easy downhill, 1%, to Jim Thorpe. And there's also a combination of dirt roads and fire roads around Hickory Run state park, again I forget their names. Haven't been to any of these in a few years, though.

mtbr member

Idea

I shot you an email.

Thanks! I have saturday free for riding.
    Lee, why dont you guys come to Mt Top to ride??? I'll show you some cool trails
    Going to be a cold one though...
    Let me know & I'll see if I can round up a few people for an Ice breaker.
    Joe

Sep 2005

7 springs

If your here in the summer definitely ride 7 springs

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jkad
    Lee, why dont you guys come to Mt Top to ride??? I'll show you some cool trails
    Going to be a cold one though...
    Let me know & I'll see if I can round up a few people for an Ice breaker.
    Joe
    I will have to see. Trying to finalize plans.

Jun 2005
    Well I made it to PA even after the guys at airport securtiy were taking bets trying to figure out what my pedals really were, some guy got it though, stumped the original person.

Then my bike bag has see-through mesh covered sides so my helmet was clearly visible.........upon boarding the pilot was standing there saing hi and asked what the helmet was for "biking or skating"...........I told him it was for when the plane crashed.

He didn't laugh.

I'm excited to ride in a place where it snowed last night.

May 2004
    Well I made it to PA even after the guys at airport securtiy were taking bets trying to figure out what my pedals really were, some guy got it though, stumped the original person.

Then my bike bag has see-through mesh covered sides so my helmet was clearly visible.........upon boarding the pilot was standing there saing hi and asked what the helmet was for "biking or skating"...........I told him it was for when the plane crashed.

He didn't laugh.

I'm excited to ride in a place where it snowed last night.
    Trail Report~~~~~

Well the ride was great! Weathermen are wrong again. My Hats off to you idiots! Except Vince of course, because "Vince said it would be like this" But anyways it was 50 degrees! The "MUD" even made an apperance.Can't wait 12 more hours to do it again!

Moto till you Die then Moto more!

LC

Aug 2004
    scranton area musts: Carbondale/ Fell Mtn. and Prompton State Park. They are within 15 minutes of each other and provide plenty of trail miles to get your biking in. Oh and if you want to come out to State College (central PA) Rothrock is a great place to ride. Literally hundreds of miles of trail. But when i'm home c-dale and prompton are everyday ventures (lucky enough to live within 10 minutes of prompton)

Members who have read this thread: 0