NBR: kind-of, where best to live an be able to ride-2-trails in Wilkes-Barre?- Mtbr.com
    Chilling out

NBR: kind-of, where best to live an be able to ride-2-trails in Wilkes-Barre?

Short version: Bear Clan is moving to W-B this summer (the Mrs has a job teaching at King's College and the Bear has a job lined up three blocks away), but the big question is where to look to live?

Ideal situation would be bike-2-work-able (if I can work out situ with work) and bike-a-ble from home to trails for weekday AM/PM rides.

Bike-2-work needs to be w/in 10-ish miles riding from intersection of E Market Street and Wilkes-Barre Blvd I think.

Bike-2-trails i'm a bit more flexible on, but I have no idea about the realistic safey of biking the surrounding roads, particularly in hours of darkness even with lights and blinkies and such.

We're going to be getting up there sometime mid-July onwards so far I can see, yet. Final dates are kind-of awaiting word from my future employer.

Not that i'm sure it makes a difference, but we currently have one cat and will likely be getting at least one more after we resettle, and possibly in the future a pup too (that will become a trail-dawg, maybe). Having garage space, or basement, to dedicate to the Bike Shop is a factor (currently five bikes, reserving right to grow...). Having space to park our camping trailer is a factor.

Thanks in advance for any info. ;^)

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Tough call...

Living...

Kingston closest. flat ride to WB bout 2 miles depending.
    Dallas, Back Mt Rail Trail(read a grade, not bad) to use as riding route. 6 miles to WB
    Mt Top, nice place to live, big hill to get to back and forth to WB... toughest location. bout 6 miles depending

Other towns about up and down Route 11(Wyoming Ave) and are flat to WB

Legal trails from WB

Frances Slocum, bout 5 miles
    Moon Lake, bout 10 miles

Other places ro ride everywhere, but no groomed stuff just old coal junk!

Keep in touch as we can work details more, questions always welcome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I grew up in Kingston, some nice streets and close to WB. Forty Fort is close too. You'll be in a flood plane though with the river depending where you choose.

Forty Fort and Kingston are prob best places to start - both have some of the nicest neighborhoods in the valley near WB. From FF you can utilize the asphalt dike along river to avoid traffic. Back Mt trail to Dallas would work if you're commuting by mountain bike.

Keep in mind that buying a home in the flood plain occasionally makes life interesting.

Other local trails include - 7 Tubs - (could ride in from work via E. Northampton St,) and Mt Top (I wouldn't want to ride to Mt Top trails from WB)

ganginwood
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Having space to park our camping trailer is a factor.
    try butler street in kingston
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

[quote=jonz187]Forty
    Keep in mind that buying a home in the flood plain occasionally makes life interesting.

Ya, now that we have to personally pay for the upkeep of the dikes the river will "NEVER" flood again... They promise!... LOL

Chilling out
    good suggestions, feel free to make more. ;^)

i'm not really worried about hilliness on the way home to-work i'd think it better to be more slacker, but on the way home it's fine. it'd do nothing but good to "me muscles" as Popeye would say.

Living in flood-plain == bad, IMO, I'd be much more at peace living above the height of the levees to be sure.

Commuter bike would be one of a skinny roadie, a long travel 26er, or no travel 29er, depending upon mood.

We're really looking forward to the move, much as Austin has been good to us we really miss lots of things like trees, seasons, water ...

Run With The Wind
    Bear,

Welcome to the area! I am an avid cyclist (mountain & road) and Realtor in the area you are looking relocate to. I would be happy to give you a tour of the area including homes in your price range, road routes and trail riding areas. If you bring your bike we can also do a ride if you are interested. My contact information is listed below; contact me at your convenience.

Thank You,

Jonathan Stoshick
    Century 21 Smith Hourigan Group
    358 S. Memorial Highway
    Shavertown, PA 18708
    Direct: (570) 696-5437
    Fax: (570) 696-1367
    Cell: (570) 760-0410
    E-mail: [email protected] or [email protected]

Members who have read this thread: 0