Mt Penn Recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Mt Penn Recommendations

Hi,

I am heading to Mt Penn tomorrow for a day of riding. I got maps from maprika and Trail Forks but am looking for some recommendations on where to park and maybe some loop ideas.

I plan on doing anywhere from 15 - 20ish miles .

Should I park near the A-Line trail or at the lake?

Any advice is appreciated.

Also any cool places nearby for a burger and a beer after riding?

Thanks

Russ

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I always prefer to park at the lake just to get the big climb out of the way and end on a down. You can always park at the BAMBA parking lot (2 List Road) which is round abouts the middle of the spider web. I like to ride up to the fire tower on the tower trail to start things off and then hit any of the myriad of trails that come down from there. Most of the trails start off of A-Line, which in itself is a lot of fun, but there are also a ton of awesome trails close by. Some of my favorites to hit near the fire tower are Stage 3, cb, A-line Duece and run that down to the bowl. The bowl is also a lot of fun. You can also hit the network and red trail off of the air field which is about halfway down A-Line off to the right. Hopefully you are into more of an all mountain style of riding as these are mainly faster kind of rowdy runs that I'm listing, but that's mainly what I'm into. There's also XC riding at Penn, but it is a little more difficult to find.

Going down towards the lake there are a few good options. You can hit S-curves to power line trail then run over to Dane's run. One of the best is Dane's run and the newer Flo-around section on it or you can hit the steep rocky decent, whichever you prefer and then that run's into lower Dane's run which is pretty rad as well. You could also go down Lanshe's Hill (Too fast kids) which is a lot of fun and take that to Dane's run or Pineapple Xpress. Another fun way down to the lake is taking prelude down to Sweetness or TNT and then WOO. Lots of awesome trails to ride there and a good majority, though not all are mapped in trailforks. Taking woodcutter to TNT or Sweetness is also fun, but it is getting pretty blown out and not nearly as flowy as it was.

Figure if yo do 20 miles there you will probably hit around 3k of elevation. You can also link Penn up with Neversink which is a pretty cool but underrated loop.

Have you ever ridden Penn before? If you have any questions feel free to ask, I ride there a pretty regularly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Sorry didn't answer the food and beer question, but there is Bixlers right near the lake and also the Liberty Taproom is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I've never used Maprika so I just installed it to check it out and I'd say it has about 5% of the Penn trails on it, so I'd stick with trailforks.

Get back to me and let me know what type of trails that you like and maybe I could point you in a more specific direction.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I don't ride there often, but am urging you not to miss out on Dane's. Been there a handful of times, and the upper parts are a blast, but Dane's has this special something. Its got pretty much everything a great mtb trail should have.
    I'll second parking at the lake. It's a bit of a grind up, but gets you a feel for the place, especially when you get towards the top. Don't sleep on the rocks at the top of A-line - the first time through it can be tough to pick the correct line.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStang View Post
    I always prefer to park at the lake just to get the big climb out of the way and end on a down. You can always park at the BAMBA parking lot (2 List Road) which is round abouts the middle of the spider web. I like to ride up to the fire tower on the tower trail to start things off and then hit any of the myriad of trails that come down from there. Most of the trails start off of A-Line, which in itself is a lot of fun, but there are also a ton of awesome trails close by. Some of my favorites to hit near the fire tower are Stage 3, cb, A-line Duece and run that down to the bowl. The bowl is also a lot of fun. You can also hit the network and red trail off of the air field which is about halfway down A-Line off to the right. Hopefully you are into more of an all mountain style of riding as these are mainly faster kind of rowdy runs that I'm listing, but that's mainly what I'm into. There's also XC riding at Penn, but it is a little more difficult to find.

Going down towards the lake there are a few good options. You can hit S-curves to power line trail then run over to Dane's run. One of the best is Dane's run and the newer Flo-around section on it or you can hit the steep rocky decent, whichever you prefer and then that run's into lower Dane's run which is pretty rad as well. You could also go down Lanshe's Hill (Too fast kids) which is a lot of fun and take that to Dane's run or Pineapple Xpress. Another fun way down to the lake is taking prelude down to Sweetness or TNT and then WOO. Lots of awesome trails to ride there and a good majority, though not all are mapped in trailforks. Taking woodcutter to TNT or Sweetness is also fun, but it is getting pretty blown out and not nearly as flowy as it was.

Figure if yo do 20 miles there you will probably hit around 3k of elevation. You can also link Penn up with Neversink which is a pretty cool but underrated loop.

Have you ever ridden Penn before? If you have any questions feel free to ask, I ride there a pretty regularly.
    Thank you for this information! I will check out some of these trails and let you know. Im not really sure what to expect but my favorite PA trails so far are moosic mountain which has a bit of everything so I guess that’s what I prefer. Hopefully I can find that today

Looking forward to trying something different!

Thanks again

Russ

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    If you prefer a bit of everything you'll probably love it at Penn, just be prepared for a spider web of trails. Just go with the flow and have fun with it!!

It's more "All Mountain" than XC, but it's all a fun time!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStang View Post

Thanks Again for the advice! Those trails are pretty sweet. it took me a while to get my bearings and i felt like i was going up and up and up....

I hit the too fast kids, and dales run (* i didn't realize there was a flow around and hit the steep stuff. I had to walk two sections of this trail as well as one downhill section that was sort of near gravity trail...)

Anyway I had a blast and finishing off with too fast all the way down dales to the end was a nice way to end.

I will definitely go back to explore some different loops

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Awesome, Glad that you had a good time!! If you want someone to guide you around next time feel free to reach out, I ride there pretty regularly and would be more than happy to show you around. I'm not the fastest climber, not by a long shot, but I love the downs!!

Yeah Dane's flo around is a really fun little trail, but the tech rocky stuff is also pretty cool! Did you hit the bowl at all? Too fast kids is fun too!! They've recently added a couple small jumps and berms, which makes it even better!

Do you mind sending me your strava user so I could check out your route?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I’m headed up tomorrow. Does anyone have a good gpx file for me? I am looking for a “best of” ride. Maybe 10-12 miles / 2 hours-ish. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpilot View Post
    I’m headed up tomorrow. Does anyone have a good gpx file for me? I am looking for a “best of” ride. Maybe 10-12 miles / 2 hours-ish. Thanks.
    Not sure about a GPX file but there are a few good rides the size you are looking for on my Strava that may help you out. Send me a PM if you're interested.