Mt Penn Question...- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Apr 2009

Mt Penn Question...

I want to know if my older 29er Paragon Frame can handle Trail 58..

It looks like these guys are in full body armor/ full helment and downhill bikes..

But it looks like a fun trail (i want to go and try)---here it is:

Area 58. Mt Penn GoPro HD - YouTube

ALSO can anyone tell me how to get here (Exactly to trail #58) from Lancaster pa.?--AND how long it will take??

--If anyone has this exact address I can Google it..

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    40.354557,-75.898464, fire tower, is the start and I think 40.338295,-75.90927 is the finish. Tons of trails in this area but on this side of the mtn going towards Reading is no fun to ride back to the top, most people shuttle back up. More trails are on the East side of Skyline Dr and are easier to ride back to the top.

banned
    Apr 2009
    I would not be able to Shuttle back up (I am coming solo to ride) and have to ride back to the car.

Any suggested route? ALSO I hear there are no maps---so would I really get lost easily here?

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Man. Mount Penn looks sick. Just spent way to long watching you tube vids. Are there organized shuttle days?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Just go and explore, if you have a good sense of direction and gps you'll be fine. There are several sections divided by roads, use gps to figure where you are when you come to a road.

Mt Penn - Reading, Pennsylvania, US

banned
    Apr 2009
    --(i don't use GPS) did not get one yet (and had one on cell phone but drains bettery too much)----BUT Thanks----I will get there to explore one day soon...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Duryea road gap was completed last weekend and several of us hit it,actual gap is approx 30' with up to 60' depending on how much transition you use upon landing and speed coming into it,this is a blind landing double.and to say the least as your coming up to it at speed every instinct and common sense is screaming at you to abort,but man o man like a pure shot of adrenaline when you pull it off!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hoping to see some practice shots on Saturday. Where's the best place to park and hike in with the family? I was thinking of parking at the Pagoda and walking down. Or is there a better spot?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm curious on where to park too. I mean I could walk from my house but I'd rather park part way and walk around the event. I haven't ridden anything up there at all this year. I normally hit blue marsh or Neversink. I'm very interested to see how the DH event goes off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Duryea Downhill Sunday

Looking forward to taking the family up on Sunday to watch the race. Live at the bottom and know where you can typicaly park, but not sure where to park for short walks to watch. Also trying to find good spectator points along the race route. Any info?

I gotta work Saturday so I can't scope it out during practice runs.

Peace,
    Oquipah

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Here's where they suggest spectator's park during the race: Duryea Downhill

Members who have read this thread: 0