Mt Penn Newb- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mt Penn Newb

mtbr member
    May 2007

Mt Penn Newb

I am probably going to make my way out there tomorrow. Solo. I am a bit apprehensive since there is apparently no trail map or well marked routes. I don't have the time to get lost for hours on end. I like riding Rocky Tech XC/All mountain. Not into a big jumps. Any suggestions on where to park and if there is any foolproof game plan as far as keeping me from getting lost? Basically looking for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Did you try the bamba site? Maybe someoe will be interested in guiding you. I know enough to get around but it would be hard to descibe. I usually park up by the w penn tower or by rotary park. Its hard to get lost. The trails mostly come out to roads that you cross. Good luck and enjoy your ride.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    If you park by the fire tower you will want to ride on the side NOT facing the city. From there everything will be down hill. Think of it as exploring rather then getting lost. By this time of the year the trails that are used alot are "open" and rideable, other trails are getting grown on by weeds/sticker bushes. Youl start to realize maybe this isn't a popular trail and turn around. If you have a phone with GPS keep it on and if your feeling lost ride until you hit a road and ride the road back to your starting point, or UP since you started at the highest point. I am working or else I would meet you. BAMBA is very friendly group that you could ride with also.

Chilling out
    I have a GPX file built from a lot of tracks from the (not my tracks), you could use it to show where trail is known to be, to at leastvsome degree.

http://www.bearandwife.com/bear/maps...ing.MtPenn.gpx

If using an android phone, apps like Locus or Oruxmaps can display this on top of a topo map for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Re: Mt Penn Newb

Another map made up of various rides

Zugunroute : Explore
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Another map made up of various rides

Zugunroute : Explore
    That looks helpful. Have to compare that to my old "my tracks" to figure out everything I've missed when I've been there. I think I've been missing a lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I might head out there sometime this weekend if I get a chance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I rode around Mt Penn for about an hour and 1/2 today, Man, this hill can really really give you a work out. My bike is pretty old and not exactly set up that great for the sort of terrain I encountered. My old Raleigh M-80 has a super stiff front fork and continantal town & country tires, so I was a little under equipped. There were many areas that were very steep and rocky, to the point I had to get off and walk it. Mostly though, the trails I was on were passable. The down hills were great, the up-hills a real ass-kicker for me. the trail I was on, You go down, and down and down, thinking "eh, this is reasonable" and then I switched off, and came up a different way. seemingly much more direct but I think I came upon a few hills that felt like they were about 40 degrees and VERY rocky.

I do feel like this hill would be best to go along with someone who knows the hill, is somewhat near your skill level, and has a somewhat similar bike, or is patient.

Anyone like that here want to go for a ride at Mt Penn sometime?

mtbr member
    I might be down to ride this weekend. But it would be like 3ish.

mtbr member
    I'd be up for heading up there at some point, do you have any time during the week or just weekends ?

mtbr member
    Not this week but possibly next week. I live roughly 35-45 mins away depending on traffic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have time most days during the week, as long as I'm not traveling for business. I have a very flexible schedule most days so If I'm feeling like it I can always go up there as long as I have a little advance notice. I am only about a 15 minute drive away if traffic isn't too horrible. I may be able to do another ride here Saturday or Sunday this weekend, any time of day - though I do end up having to work some weekends, so that's not a for sure thing.

mtbr member
    Depending on weather I can do Saturday or Sunday at 3ish. Bring your bike with travel and we can run some fun stuff!

mtbr member
    Looks like they are calling for rain in the afternoon but its sunny as ever right now. Might just go tomorrow just in case it rains today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Anybody riding today? Been a few times but can never find the good trails. Would like to ride with someone who knows the trails. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'm planning to be there around 3:10ish. I'll leave about 2:30 and takes about 30-40 minutes. Parking at Antiedam Lake as I want to ride all over today. Driving a little green convertible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    I'm planning to be there around 3:10ish. I'll leave about 2:30 and takes about 30-40 minutes. Parking at Antiedam Lake as I want to ride all over today. Driving a little green convertible.
    See you there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I could not make it, how was the ride? I'll try and make it next time.

mtbr member
    Fun and great ride. Btownrider made me work! The place is just so fun.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Finally made it out today. Skipped work. Parked at Antietam Lake and worked my way up the yellow blaze trail, crossed List and kept going until I hit a rocky single track by a school... I think it was a school or something. There i bumped in to a local named Evan. He offered to show me around. The dude had speed, I was in his dust a majority of the time, but it was nice to follow his lines. We sorta worked our way up and down the mountain for close to 10 miles.

I loved the ride. Great flow, nice techy spots, but not as difficult as I was lead to believe. The lines were always easy to discern and the baby heads were easy enough to plow over. Some descent obstacles and drops along the way as well. Looking forward to making it back next season.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Anyone want to ride Fri,Sat,or Sun?