Mt Penn converting Mt Gretna riders !- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Mt Penn converting Mt Gretna riders !

Over the past several months have I met and ridden with local Mt Gretna riders coming to check out Mt Penn and not surprisingly they are very smitten to the point of proclaiming that they never need ride Gretna again and now see these guys coming here weekly! Having ridden Mt Gretna myself I came away with the impression that it was a ok ride that has a lot more potential but understand there is local user groups and political infighting over use.what makes Mt Penn the stellar place that it is to ride is the completely relaxed,friendly and openness of the rider community here and the working relationships with land managers and locals,,not to mention some of the best multi discipline Mtn biking anywhere! we have no organization or clubs but have managed to build this area just by perseverance the willingness to work with others,volunteering our time to trail maintenance,annual trash clean ups and just be good responsible stewards for this really unique and diverse place to ride.

my church is the woods
    Interesting....

I would love to ride Mt. Penn more often, but it's still an hour away, and Gretna is 5 minutes. What you said about Gretna is pretty accurate, however, there is also a lot of off the grid trails that keep me local more often than not.

I get down to Mt. Penn usually 2x a year, and only get in around 10 miles of trail there. Is there much more than that?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    Interesting....

I would love to ride Mt. Penn more often, but it's still an hour away, and Gretna is 5 minutes. What you said about Gretna is pretty accurate, however, there is also a lot of off the grid trails that keep me local more often than not.

I get down to Mt. Penn usually 2x a year, and only get in around 10 miles of trail there. Is there much more than that?
    Significantly more,still growing and improving!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Interesting....

hey I live really close to Gretna myself and recently started biking. I'm looking for some of these "off the grid" trails you speak of! I need more places to ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Interesting....

Yeah, I only get in about 10 miles per ride there too. But it's never the same ride twice. There are many, many options to suit your mood. I'm guessing there's 30-40 miles of trails, but I wonder if anyone really knows for sure.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Can you get a map of this place (I saw a video of trail 58) and would like to try it (but dont know where to go)---

ALSO, how far from Lancaster?
    Last edited by 247; 05-01-2012 at 10:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Think before you speak!

I know most of the people that have started riding Mt. Penn. It ticks me off when some guys don't appreciate the hard work and efforts involved with Gretna. Mostly because they aren't educated...And most people who ride Gretna for the first time, don't know where all the trails are and then start saying how bad the place is. IMO, if you don't like Gretna, then go somewhere else to ride and stop talking trash about the place. I'm local and staying there.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    ALSO, how far from Lancaster?
    Google Maps bro. Check it out, you'll be blown away.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Rad Rider 415;9290364 IMO, if you don't like Gretna, then go somewhere else to ride and stop talking trash about the place. I'm local and staying there. [/QUOTE]

You're looking at it all wrong. You should be happy - it will keep the crowds down.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Having ridden all that Gretna offers without the top secret local stuff which would not be in the offering to an outsider anyways! What Mt Penn offers is much more diversity in comparison that is totally accessible to any and all with a willingness and desire to explore,and that is why some of these previous Gretna riders are so smitten with Mt Penn!

I'm Local
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Having ridden all that Gretna offers without the top secret local stuff which would not be in the offering to an outsider anyways! What Mt Penn offers is much more diversity in comparison that is totally accessible to any and all with a willingness and desire to explore,and that is why some of these previous Gretna riders are so smitten with Mt Penn!
    Why is this even a competitive debate about who gets to build jumps and trails and who doesn't!?

I'm Mt. Gretna local. I would love to ride Mt. Penn more, but I don't have the time and a babysitter. So I stay local. If, some of you "reading" guys actually came out for a "locals" ride, you might be pretty surprised at what's just off the marked trails.

And basically you're bragging about "converting" a bunch of teenagers that really don't know how much work has been done in Gretna. James, I'm not pointing the finger at you.

I'm not trying to say Gretna is better, what I'm saying is you're comparing apples to oranges, and bragging about impressing some teens.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    What teens,these guys are in late twenties and up? and yes they have all ridden the "local stuff" all of our trails and runs are open to every one with no need to do the for local only BS,why not push to have anyone access,unless of course it is all illegal! .and it is not all about just trails and terrain vibe plays a big roll in rider satisfaction.it was never my intention to diss just pointing out that we were seeing a wave of Gretna riders coming here and are completely blown away! we are very grateful here to have such open access and a warm reception from authorities and land managers!

I'm Local
    Then you should've been a little more clear about this not being a "diss" ... And I still don't understand why you insist that there's a "locals only BS"... We only have a map for the Gov Dick trails, so it make it pretty difficult to explain where something is when there is no map.

Tech, not trying to get into an argument over this, I'm sure you even know me if you saw my face. Just felt I should point out your misunderstanding of our situation.

mtbr member

Map

Anybody have a decent Map of Mt Penn - or a crappy one for that matter? When I pass through alot of these areas it is at odd times during the weekdays, so my rides are mostly solo. Due to being old now w/ wife, kids, job, etc., time constraints, the fun of getting lost and exploring is a thing of my past. Any kind of map so those in my shoes could make the most of their valuable ride time, would really be appreciated.

Are the trails predominately DH, XC or good mix of both?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    justriding, the trails are predominantly XC, in my opinion. In fact, most of the DH runs are rideable in the uphill direction. However, no matter where you are you can choose from a variety of trails with different difficulty levels. At a very high level, I'd describe it as technical XC riding, however, it contains just about every kind of terrain for every kind of rider. I'm not aware of any maps, but I GPS'd some of my rides when my smart phone was still a new novelty for me. Maybe you can download them to your GPS and follow along.

Antietam 02/18/2012 - Google Maps
    Antietam 04/01/2012 - Google Maps
    Antietam 03/17/2012 - Google Maps

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Local717,as an outsider it was my understanding that outside marked trails is private property and privy to local knowledge,so it is not easily accessible to non locals,here it is not the case every trail here is an open book so even outsiders can ride all and everything,sure most trails are not marked,but it is real difficult to ride off of and onto private property.

We really do have a unique situation here on Mt Penn the community really embraces Mtn biking,we have proven our staying power and willingness to volunteer our time for the betterment of the Mtn overall not just for our own self interest.

I'm Local
    Tech, from the outside looking in, your opinion of our (Gretna) situation can appear that way. However, myself and many other locals are always willing to offer tours to better explain whats allowed and whats not. And I know I barely ever get someone actually show up for a ride... Not to mention, all the areas where you might run into private property are clearly marked, so that really isn't an issue.

And yes, our situation with "land managers" absolutely sucks. We as a community (Mt. Gretna) are always trying to make the whole situation better. I personally have invested countless hours in trying to make Gretna a better place, not just for bikes but for the town in general, because the "land managers" if left to their own devices would chop down all the trees and burn the place to the ground to better fill their pockets.

So yes, you guys up at Mt. Penn really do have it good.

mtbr member
    tduro - Thanks for the info and links.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Fortunately I live directly in the middle of all of these trails including French Creek and Camp Mack, and in my opinion all 4 are equally as awesome as each other in their own ways. You can make each an easy ride, or very technical epic ride depending on your mood, your abilities, and your knowledge (through experience) of each trail system.
    That "knowledge" part of it does get tricky, but once you know where you are going at each place, you absolutely cannot go wrong at any of them...I try to split my riding time between all 4, and will continue to do so...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Bottom line is that we are very fortunate to have so many options despite the political BS some have to endure....and really nation wide we have much open access! the coal regions alone have literally hundreds of miles of dirt bike single track uncharted territory if your willing to explore and love to wing it! Why some areas are more open to bikers then other places of like kind is and will always be questionable and disarming but in the end Pa is really a stellar state to live in for Mtn Biking overall!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0