Mt. Penn BAMBA parking lot and one trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Mt. Penn BAMBA parking lot and one trail

Hi,

I went to Mt. Penn after work yesterday which was first ride this year. This was 2nd time for me and 1st time was about 2-3 years ago. I parked by Camp Lily and I do not recall seeing BAMBA parking lot sign before and made me thinking about it. Is this for BAMBA members only parking? Or anyone can park there?

Also, I remember when I was there 1st time, I did a trail that went down and was twisty. Like turning left, right, left, right etc It went down for good amount of time and climb back up was also good amount of time. Any one able to tell me what is name of this trail could be?

Thank you
    2012 S pecialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

2017 SANTA CRUZ Hightower CC X01

Chilling out
    Don't know trail names, but BAMBA lot is for everybody to use.

Thanks to BAMBA. ;^)

mtbr member
    Your description of the trail you rode sounds like virtually all of Mt. Penn. There are so many trails up there it's impossible to say which it could have been.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Don't know trail names, but BAMBA lot is for everybody to use.

Thanks to BAMBA. ;^)
    I figured that's the case but didn't want to assume and take anything for granted which lot of people seems to do nowadays. My hats off to BAMBA. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
    Your description of the trail you rode sounds like virtually all of Mt. Penn. There are so many trails up there it's impossible to say which it could have been.
    it was pretty vague description, wasn't it? I've only been couple of trails that time but I didn't come across trail like that. It almost felt like never ending continuous left and right turn down the hill till it ended and I was like NO~~~!!!!! I started off of BAMBA parking lot. I might have gone some way before I got there but at the end of the downhill, I was like wow! that was fun! Then long climb back up which I was surprised how long I had to climb compared to distance(at least way it felt) I came down.

my church is the woods
    FYI, get the trailforks app https://www.trailforks.com/region/mt-penn/

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    might be "Dane's Run" on the map in the parking lot. That's probably the most fun trail at Mt Penn. It has a steep rock chute at the top and a ~3 ft drop to flat, otherwise it's fast and twisty.

I took a pic on my phone of the map so I can have the trail names. My other favorites are parts of "Figure Eight" to "Pine Barrens", "Deer Head" (usually take the rocky section just above the sports fields to get there), "Stonehenge", "C-line" and the rock overs nearby, "A-line", "Area 58", and the race course.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Sounds like you might have went from Prelude, which is a fun downhill section and followed that up by hitting either TNT or Sweetness which are both real windy downhill portions. They both come out at the fruit farm and the trek back up is pretty decent as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks guys, I'll try to check those out after wrok today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Did A-line, Prelude and Sweetness. Can't tell if Prelude and Sweetness was it but it was fun. Sucks it was getting dark so I had to stop. Climbing back up sucked though I'll try TNT and Dane's Run next.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Sounds like a good ride man! I love hitting Prelude down to TNT or Sweetness, but yeah the ride back up bites. I usually just come back up the gravity trail or sometimes one of us will park down at the angora lot and we'll take Wizard of Oz over to it and shuttle back up to the fire tower.

Try giving Woodcutter to Bumble bee a shot. It's a lot of fun and will bring you out onto Angora Road right around the top of TNT and Sweetness. If you're not using Trailforks make sure to download it as it's pretty well developed for the area. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yup, it was good ride! I really wanted to do that again yesterday and try TNT this time but I figured it's going to be dark by the time I come back up. Not to mention my legs were done and wasn't sure I was able to climb up again 2nd time It was only 2nd ride of the year after 7 months of no ride.

Couldn't go fast(Not that I'm fast anyway) and jump(scary stuff for me yet) since I wasn't familiar with the trail but I'm sure couple of ride will fix that.

While I was looking at the map, that was the route that I was going to take next ride or climb little and back to Prelude and down to either Sweetness or TNT. Can't wait till next ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Is the second half of middle C still ridable? I used to ride that all the time (really fun) but a few years ago I went down and it was too overgrown. The top half was also getting pretty worn too, maybe it just doesn't get much love.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not sure but when I got lost yesterday, I ended up on couple of trails that were pretty tight squeeze I ended up turning around

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HaxEJxuK View Post
    Couldn't go fast(Not that I'm fast anyway) and jump(scary stuff for me yet) since I wasn't familiar with the trail but I'm sure couple of ride will fix that.
    I'd stay away from's Dane's Run for a bit then as it's a pretty technical downhill and has a couple steep sections as well as a 3 foot drop. It's definitely a fun ride, but be careful!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Did 3 A-Line run, Woodcutter to Bumble bee twice and Prelude to T&T. It was fun day and once again, it got dark too soon again. I was able to ride couple of spots that I had to walk last 2 visits so I got little bit of confidence back.