mt. penn- Mtbr.com

Thread: mt. penn

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

mt. penn

I live north east of Baltimore. It looks like saturday might be a good day to get out for a ride. Ive been wanting to ride at mt penn and was thinking about heading up that way. Could anyone tell me what the trail conditions might be like and if it would be worth it to make the 1 1/2 hour trip? And also does anyone have recomendations on routes to take or where to start?

I heard there is shuttling going on there sometimes which i would love as downhill is more my thing but i wouldnt mind some climbing and to check out a decent amount of the park..... thanks in advance

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Not a direct answer, but I live around Harrisburg and it was slop out there today. Rain tomorrow. Trails are going to be a mess all over the state. I wouldn't waste the time driving unless mud is your thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mt. Penn drains amazingly well. In the summer, you can ride it immediately after a storm with no issues. It can, however, get messy during snow melt, or if it rains on top of frozen ground (nowhere to drain). Looking at the weather, Sat. should be nice on Mt. Penn. Antietam Lake is my usual parking spot. It's a tough climb from there, but the payback is a mile of sweet downhill at the end of the ride. The trails aren't marked (except for some of the main trails) or mapped, so you should bring a GPS.

From Antietam Lake, keep heading uphill until you get to the next road. Then keep your eyes open for side trails. They're a lot more fun than the main trails. Most trails were cleared of leaves in the fall, so they shouldn't be hard to find. The place needs to be explored, rather than just followed. And the rewards are many.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    This morning was beautiful on Mt. Penn. There were a few soft spots, but they were few and far between. Sunday and Monday should be nice too.

RideDirt
    This place is sick !! I haven't been yet but will very soon .

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Anyone want to do a xc ride at mt penn tomorrow Mon 2/20 morning. Around 9-10AM

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Did a test XC loop yesterday with local friends and some Allentown boys I haven't seen in a while that I have been laying out.this loop will offer the best of classic XC but will have many challenges that our area offers,major climbs,steeps,singletrack and double,have a approx 12 mile with additional side loops that connect into the major loop and will offer more climbing for you mtn goat boys! this does not even include the Antiedam/County side.ultimately I see a 20 mile plus leg burner!

Nickel Havr
    Anyone see the new work on A-Line?

IT'S SICK!!!!

Everything just got bumped up a few notches!

Riding was good yesterday... A little sloppy in parts but not bad at all.

I'll try to get some pics of the new stuff on A-Line in a day or two...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

RideDirt
    Get another video bro lol , its been a while since you added something on the tube.. Ill be hitting you up for a tour soon dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckstream1 View Post
    Anyone see the new work on A-Line?

IT'S SICK!!!!

Everything just got bumped up a few notches!

Riding was good yesterday... A little sloppy in parts but not bad at all.

I'll try to get some pics of the new stuff on A-Line in a day or two...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    hello

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by m-wilhelm View Post
    Anyone want to do a xc ride at mt penn tomorrow Mon 2/20 morning. Around 9-10AM
    I can do that. Earlier is better so we can beat the thaw. I'll PM you with details.

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Get another video bro lol , its been a while since you added something on the tube.. Ill be hitting you up for a tour soon dude.
    Haha... Yeah I've been slacking on the video front!
    I'll try to put one together soon... The last few shots I got didn't turn out due to the cold weather affecting my cameras.

Let me know when you're ready for the grand tour....

Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Nickel Havr
    Ask and ye shall recieve!

For your viewing pleasure...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4nEAyzdTKlA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RideDirt
    Awesome! Its that on a new trail or just like added? Seems like you guys or whoever does the trail works is on top of their game. Good stuff bro

mtbr member
    Winter is OVER, and it's time to break out the DH sleds and do some shuttling before the lifts open up. Trail conditions are prime all over SE PA. Any chance there will be a shuttle day/fund raiser at Mt. Penn this year?
    bike = good

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Remember,all DH boys park on left side facing Firetower,any organized shuttle/fundraisers over 25 have to apply for an event permit!

Nickel Havr
    Awesome! Its that on a new trail or just like added? Seems like you guys or whoever does the trail works is on top of their game. Good stuff bro
    The first half of the vid is on A-Line... The second half of the vid is on a newer line that gaps A-Line.

I didn't do any of the work up there... But I sure do appreciate it!

Truly the best work around...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Right now conditions are fast!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Has anyone heard of the downhill race coming back to Mt. Penn in May?

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Nickel Havr
    I can't wait!

I got a buddy that lives on the mountain... So I'll have some awesome parking!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Have an Enduro in the works,hopefully part of an East Coast series,how about some feedback from locals! three or four stage with timed DH's.will be meeting with like minded promoters in the next several weeks to try and make this happen! we have the terrain and have done a rough layout of proposed stages.what is awesome about these events is that they can be very diverse in approach and interpretation,like having a tech section for instance,but the beauty of these events is that you can compete and also have a social and or trail ride to next stage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to this!

Nickel Havr
    Revival of an old thread...

Say it with me.... Rooaadd Gaaaap

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3VnSjJE8dlk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nickel Havr
    Finally got some time to edit and upload my '12 Duryea DH footage...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TN0r7d6B9ho" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nickel Havr
    Just a heads up for the Mt.Penn riders...

A-Line has been vandalized!
    Please take a recon lap before dropping in to pin!

Any help in the rebuild would be greatly appreciated...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    WTF is wrong with people. The DH event was a huge amount of fun! If I had the bike for it I'd be up there all the time. I live between MT Penn and Neversink mtn and I love all the MTB stuff around here People need to get frikkin lives instead of vandalizing so much time and hard work.

I'd help with the rebuild if I could but I barely have time to ride anymore.

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by Energetik View Post
    WTF is wrong with people. The DH event was a huge amount of fun! If I had the bike for it I'd be up there all the time. I live between MT Penn and Neversink mtn and I love all the MTB stuff around here People need to get frikkin lives instead of vandalizing so much time and hard work.

I'd help with the rebuild if I could but I barely have time to ride anymore.
    You can ride everything on Mt. Penn with a hard-tail!
    I don't understand why people have to mess with all the jumps... It's not like you can't ride around them.
    A few guys will be getting together this Saturday for a rebuild and a grill & chill so we'll have it back together in no time!

Have you found the secret trail on Neversink yet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Unfortunately it happens the original A-Line had cool bridge features,step up gap to bridge drop off double,etc,the city got complaints and Parks came in with chain saws and skid loader and totaled everything,happened at Rotory park too.we left it sit for awhile so things cooled down a bit and just built smarter,thats why no bridge features no more stand out to much.but still you get the occasional random saboteur.the profile of the Mtn has changed a lot in the last few years,more multi use activities the Gravity Trail,hikers,orienteering,runners,equestrians all trying to get a piece of the acttion and want there fair share.the city parks is very aware of what is going on and eventually will step in and create policy over extreme features which by the way are completely illegal,just are getting away with it for now.hopefully by creating an IMBA chapter here we will be able to have some influence and say for Mtn bikers here to keep this a viable Mtn biking destination for all disciplines!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have only ridden Mt Penn a few times and never discovered all of the trails,but its ashame people have nothing better to do than destroy trails. And who would complain to the parks dep,? That they would come up and total everything? I would think there are higher priorities for the parks dep. to tend to,just my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckstream1 View Post
    I don't understand why people have to mess with all the jumps... It's not like you can't ride around them.
    X, what leads you to believe other riders did this?

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro View Post
    X, what leads you to believe other riders did this?
    Probably wasn't...
    My best guess is an angry equestrian or a hunter...

Or maybe some ghetto thugs out drinking in the woods...

I just figure that if you can maneuver around the features, what is the reason to destroy them?

The sad part is that even with IMBA backing, there really isn't any way to keep this from happening again.

Members who have read this thread: 0