Mt Gretna Riders Warning- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mt Gretna Riders Warning

The Board of Trusties for the Gov. Dick area (the only good legal riding area) are planning to clear cut and log almost the entire area to raise funds for their visitor building. What will anybody have to go visit without the trees!

The board is holding a meeting on Wed. June 29 at 7:15pm to discuss their options. Please, please, anybody who has riden there and/or hope to ride there in the future please come out to the meeting. The meeting will be held at the new visitor center on Pinch Rd. in Mt. Gretna. If anybody doesn't remember how to get there I would be happy to give directions. This is all the information I have so far.

my church is the woods

will be there

Quote Originally Posted by Man from Utopia
    The Board of Trusties for the Gov. Dick area (the only good legal riding area) are planning to clear cut and log almost the entire area to raise funds for their visitor building. What will anybody have to go visit without the trees!
    I've read that they are considering logging some areas, but not actually clear cutting the whole thing. It is uncertain what they will do next. The land is deeded for recreation, so they do have that as their first priority.

I do think that if a decision is reached to log the whole thing, the community will respond by burning down their unwanted "visitor building", thus negating the need to log for $$$ to run it.

http://governordick.com/

mtbr member
    I donno. I met a woman on the trail last night who was handing out flyers, but she didn't have any left for me to see. So I'm just repeating what she said. She did say clear cut, much like they're doing on the game lands by dinasour rock. She also stated that "they" have a patetion with 400 sigs and that the people living in Gretna are pretty compacent to the whole situation.
    Thanks for the web site, that's much better then word of mouth.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Mt Gretna Riders Warning

There are a lot of bad rumors and misconceptions about what?s happening at Gov. Dick right now. The people that collected the 400 some signatures did so under some false pretenses. They told some vacationers and residents that they were putting port-o-toilets all over the mountain and they should sign to fight this.
    The Gov. Dick Board is deciding to approve a stewardship plan (this plan covers the trees, but the wildlife and trails as well). They are not planning to clear-cut the entire park just selective cutting in specific areas. The goal behind this plan is it to improve and diversify the forest. The real problem at Gov. Dick is the deer browsing, which is the board?s highest concern. I?ve heard both sides in which I?ve heard good arguments for logging and good arguments why not to. In the end my goal is to save the trails.
    I?ve attended these meeting for 4 long years as a mountain biking representative and support committee member (along with another mountain biker). We have made tremendous strides at the park?as the Susquehanna Area Mountain Biker Assoc. we have created the map, put up trail signs, and maintained the trails where permitted.
    There is not too much for the public to say or do at this meeting, unless you have expert knowledge in ecology and forestry to help change the plan. You are represented and we will try to do what we can to keep mountain biking at the park. What we need are volunteers to help with trail maintenance so that we can continue to ride at this beautiful park.
    If you need more info see the SAMBA website www.sambabiker.com to contact myself (Secretary) or the Trail Coordinator.