Mt. Gretna last night- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Mt. Gretna last night

What a great trail system for the people who love a little bit of everything, but mostly the rocks and technical stuff. Took Trail 10 (Serious climb to get to it from Pinch Road) to 12(Excellent downhill with a little mud at the bottom), then to 13 (Nice and flowing and pretty flat), then to 15(the ultimate in technical riding). Met a guy out there that created these trails with his wife. My wife had the dog and went the other way so we met at the end of 15 and she followed me back to the car. My son had to turn around early(the beginning of 12) because of a rear brake problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nice! Heading back to college in 2 weeks. Looking forward to riding down that way A LOT during the school yr.

Jul 2009
    Thanks for sharing. I am only about 40 minutes way from there and have often gone to the Jigger Shop. Maybe next time I will take my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone have maps of Mt. Gretna area?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rummie
    Anyone have maps of Mt. Gretna area?

Here ya go! I have found that going around clockwise is the best, but that is only my opinion. Let me know if you ever want to hook up and I can show you around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jul 2009
    Thank you for the map.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I will most likely be up there on Saturday morning doing my "normal" loop if anyone is interested in hooking up. Usually around a 2 hour ride give or take.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Man... I love Mt. Gretna. It's such a great place due to its wide variety of trail options. I like being able to come to a crossroad and deciding which path I take from there on out. It's handy because if I run into an issue or I need to get to my car to leave the area in case of an emergency I can at least take the shorter paths to get back to my car, or in the opposite situation I can just loop on other paths all day if I wanted.

I bounce between Gretna and Blue Marsh a lot. Blue Marsh is what I consider to be a little more hardcore, simply due to its 1 continual "no turning back" feeling I get on the long trail.

I hope to hit both Gretna and Blue Marsh at least once more before the weather gets too crappy to make it happen. Work has kicked into high gear so I'm not too sure how well that'll pan out, but here's to hoping it will!

Glad to see there's other Gretna fanatics out there. Keep riding!

mtbr member
    Rode this trail system for the first time. Good Lord trail 15 is insane! I thought Rock's Ridge was a tough trail but this one is by far the winner. I went over the bars while clipped in and busted myself up pretty good. Big lump and gash on my forearm and some scrapes on my legs. Some of the tralis definitely need to dry out though. It was really muddy on 12 and 13. Also if people climb trail 4 they need to get their heads checked out.
    2008 Iron Horse MKIII Trail - Bone Stock
    Member of the Rattling Creek SingleTrackers

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by h0ser81
    Rode this trail system for the first time. Good Lord trail 15 is insane! I thought Rock's Ridge was a tough trail but this one is by far the winner. I went over the bars while clipped in and busted myself up pretty good. Big lump and gash on my forearm and some scrapes on my legs. Some of the tralis definitely need to dry out though. It was really muddy on 12 and 13. Also if people climb trail 4 they need to get their heads checked out.

Trail 4 is an old downhill coarse... 4 to 15 is my regular loop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Although I am not sure that it is physically possible, my goal is to do the entire trail 15 without walking, at all. There are 2 areas on that trail that I scratch my head and wonder if anyone has ever made it. Hopefully my new stem arrives in time to hit it Saturday morning on my new Cannondale Rush! Selling my K2 Razorback 4.0, although it has treated me so well and works great. I used to do the 4(awesome downhill) to 15 route, but then having to come up the other side of 12, or turn around on 15 is a pain. Now I go the other way around and take the switchback from the Pinch Road Lot to 10 to 12 to 13 to 15 all the way to the Ranger station, then go back down the hill to the lot and it is in the 1.5- 2 hour range which is perfect!

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugi
    Although I am not sure that it is physically possible, my goal is to do the entire trail 15 without walking, at all. There are 2 areas on that trail that I scratch my head and wonder if anyone has ever made it. Hopefully my new stem arrives in time to hit it Saturday morning on my new Cannondale Rush! Selling my K2 Razorback 4.0, although it has treated me so well and works great. I used to do the 4(awesome downhill) to 15 route, but then having to come up the other side of 12, or turn around on 15 is a pain. Now I go the other way around and take the switchback from the Pinch Road Lot to 10 to 12 to 13 to 15 all the way to the Ranger station, then go back down the hill to the lot and it is in the 1.5- 2 hour range which is perfect!
    There's a few of us that can clean 15 without dabbing...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    In which direction? Both?
    I have been trying FROM 13, but not the other way TOWARD 13. I can see going TOWARD 13 could possibly be a litte easier, but still insanely difficult.
    That is amazing...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Do any of you guys put your rides on motionbased?? It would be nice to follow a nice loop that someone who rides there often usually rides. I ride grenta a few times a year when visiting family in Mountville and Hershey. I have a decent loop that I do that is only about 8-10 miles. I park on pinch rd, climb up the fire roads to the tower, down 4, then loop around towards 117 and back up. I don't know if I have ever ridden trail 15. Is the trail marked well? All I know is when I loop back before gettting near 117 there is a nice rock drop that is about 3.5 feet high, and a small skinny that goes over a fallen tree.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugi
    In which direction? Both?
    I have been trying FROM 13, but not the other way TOWARD 13. I can see going TOWARD 13 could possibly be a litte easier, but still insanely difficult.
    That is amazing...

It's possible to clean it either direction, just gotta know the lines. It's still very difficult though, I can't do it every time...

Members who have read this thread: 0