Moving to Media (15 miles West of Philly). Trail websites/suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Moving to Media (15 miles West of Philly). Trail websites/suggestions?

Hey folks,

I am moving from the very mountain bike spoiled Raleigh NC to Media PA. I would like some information about trails/websites pointing to trials. Raleigh has a local website and forum group will all of the trails, directions, etc....anything like that for this area?

I like technical single track and would consider myself an intermediate-advanced rider.
    GG Smash

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Wissihickon, French Creek, Marsh Creek, Bear Creek, Blue Marsh, Downingtown (Gibson Covered Bridge) are just a few. Check out the trail review section.

HopHeads, Unite!
    www.phillymtb.org

PMBA. Great group of people dealing with the Wiss and a bunch of other areas around there. French Creek State Park is also rockin'...literally.

Delaware has some good stuff, too.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are 3-4 rides posted each week @ craddlestocanes Yahoo group. Most of the rides are with-in 20 minutes of Media. If you search Yahoo groups you will find us. We are always happy to show new people the local trails.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Wow....N.C. to the Philly 'burbs....

I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised with what you'll have avail. to you.

In addition to the great stuff that's already been mentioned, you'll be near Fair Hill, MD and White Clay, DE. Don't let the "out of state" stuff fool you. They're right at the hub of where PA/DE/MD all meet up. Only a couple of miles in-between them, actually. And, not a far drive from Media at all. So, there's 8 places mentioned already. Plus, Brandywine trails.... The Thursday night "races" in Philly....

Hmmm....what else?

For those weekend day trips, you'll be under two hours from Jim Thorpe, PA. I think that the drive to Mt. Gretna, PA is WELL worth it. Rocky Ridge Park in York, PA. Lowerider's bike shop in Downingtown, PA (right near the Gibson Covered Bridge trails already mentioned....and right near Victory Brewing Company...if that's also your thing) has just sponsored a box van to do shuttles at the Pagoda near Reading, PA for DH'ing...if you're into that.

For a full weekend, there's stuff out in the mid-state, Penn State, and there's an IMBA Platinum "Show" trail opening up this spring at Raystown Lake in PA. A few hours drive from Media.

Can't go wrong with phillymtb.org and the general riding population in this area are GREAT folks. There are exceptions to everything but, I guarantee you. Drop a line during the week that you're looking for a ride and you'll have people ready and willing to have you along so that you can learn the area.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Welcome to the area, I live in Media too. All of the above are excellent suggestions. However may I suggest what I call "after work rides?" These are the ones that are short enough to do when you have limited light after work but you will still get a hell of a workout.

Bonner Park/The Quarry - Glen Mills - 10 miles from your house

Smedley Park/Swarthmore - You can catch the trail right in Media by the trolley lines.

Check out www.trail-junkies.com a Delco only group that organized rides. They also have a racing team.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I live like 10 miles from media. Everybody pretty much got the extent of the trails down here.

I had no idea there were this many people around here... lets ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for all of the responses folks! I will definitely be posting back in this thread when I make the move....because frankly I hate exploring new trails without a tour guide. It just never seems to be as enjoyable!
    GG Smash

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    I, honestly, was getting a little worried when I checked in on this thread earlier today. No responses... for a little while... But, responses like Tortfeaser's are typical of what you'll find around here. I've never even HEARD of the stuff that this poster's talking about and you're already in....

Like I said before... I feel that the riding community around here is GREAT! You'll have no probs. making the switch to PA. Sure, you'll miss some stuff about NC....but, some of the riding up here will have you thinking..."We didn't have THAT down there!"
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Members who have read this thread: 0