Moving to central PA- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Moving to central PA

Hey PA folks.

I'm going to be moving to central PA in the next year and I'm looking into places to ride. It looks like winter state park and hopewell park are some of the area I found on trail forks. Anywhere else I should check out? Any recommendations for resources for finding trails in the area, bike shop recommendations, etc?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Where about are you moving too?
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Purple Lizard Maps

Rothrock, Bald Eagle, Raystown

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    We aren't sure but the lewisburg, bloomsburg, Williamsport area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bald Eagle State Forest - RB Winter State Park and Scout Camp trailheads, Rothrock State Forest - Galbraith Gap & Coopers Gap trailheads will give you tons of singletrack, doubletrack, and gravel road. I'd say they along with Raystown are the backbone of trailriding in central PA.

State College has a few smaller spot, as I know Williamsport does as well, but you'll find these well mapped, signed, and maintained.

Know you didn't ask, but good rail trail near Williamsport - Pine Creek trail that goes from Jersey Shore to Wellsboro. Another one from Mifflinburg to Lewisburg, but no where near as good as Pine Creek.

PM me for more info if interested.

Keep on Rockin...
    If closer to Bloom, hit up the trails b/t Aristes and Natalie. Many miles of biker built single track. Also hit up the trails by Danville.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    If closer to Bloom, hit up the trails b/t Aristes and Natalie. Many miles of biker built single track. Also hit up the trails by Danville.
    Huge recommendation on the singletrack between Aristes and Natalie. Miles of classic NEPA singletrack with just enough rock garden challenges to keep your attention.

Parallel to the above mentioned trails, the Roaring Creek/Reservoir gravel road makes for a relaxing 16 mile ride for the whole family.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Here's a really cool off the beaten path place that I visit often!

Rider Park
    Rider Park - First Community Foundation Partnership of Pennsylvania

You can get the trail map from the Rider park link on this page.

Pretty much direction you choose from Central Pa you will find stuff to ride, do a search here on mtbr for "Williamsport trails" you will find lots.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks for all the input! Any good local bike shops and group rides you know about?

mtbr member
    Dutch Wheelman in Bloomsburg has always treated me fair. They are definitely more 'road' oriented though.

mtbr member
    Anyone with pictures of Rider Park?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Definitely check out Ski Valley in Danville. It's the best shop in the area for mountain biking info and service.

As for the trails, you're moving to an area that's absolutely laced with top-notch, low-key singletrack -- 100+ miles of it within 20 minutes of Bloom/Danville, and waaay more when you branch out an hour or so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rmagda58 View Post
    Definitely check out Ski Valley in Danville. It's the best shop in the area for mountain biking info and service.

As for the trails, you're moving to an area that's absolutely laced with top-notch, low-key singletrack -- 100+ miles of it within 20 minutes of Bloom/Danville, and waaay more when you branch out an hour or so.
    Thanks for in input. Definitely valuable to have a good mtb oriented shop. I'm really lucky to have one where I live now.

What are some of the more local trail systems I should check out? The ones I've found seem to be the hopewell park and Geisinger trails. Where I live now the majority of my rides are on trails within 10 miles of my house, so I'm used to being able to squeeze in a quick 45 to 90 minutes ride without investing a long drive to and from the trails.

Keep on Rockin...
    The area in green below, and south of the green between 54 and 42, or Natalie and Aristes is loaded with xc type single track.

Where you coming from?

Probably best to park by Natalie, just a few yards past town, heading south, on the right of the highway, there is an old coal road. The road can be found just as the highway starts to head downhill. Last I was there some massive coal shovels were left for salvage just on the other side of the yellow road gate.

I don't think the bike trails are listed on the map, but its a good reference to get you there via highway.

Moving to central PA-dcnr_20028405.jpg

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmike View Post
    Anyone with pictures of Rider Park?
    I gotta look but I think there is a thread somewhere, as I ride there quite often and have taken pics!

Looking...

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rmagda58 View Post

+1 Great post!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post

I don't think the bike trails are listed on the map, but its a good reference to get you there via highway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dcnr_20028405.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	1113523
    Big Mountain Trail is on the map, though barely legible.

Normally, we'll park one vehicle on the Aristes/Rte 42 side at trailhead on top of the Aristes mountain. Then ride Big Mountain Trail west towards Rte 54, taking one of the intersecting trails down to Roaring Creek Trail for a relaxing ride back to where another vehicle is parked at the lower parking lot at Roaring Creek.

If the OP is coming from Bloomsburg, Rte 42 is probably easiest.
    If from Danville, then Rte 54.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Also if you are in the Bloomsburg area don't forget about Hopewell trails on route 11 and the Geisinger trails behind the hospital. I love shooting up to Hopewell for a quick spin after work or if you want, there is enough there to keep you busy for a long ride too. I haven't ridden Natalie trails yet so I can't speak for those, but my vote goes for Hopewell in Danville.

As far as shops, I haven't checked out ski valley yet, but The Bicycle Shop in State College gets my vote. Totally worth the drive to State College in my opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider View Post
    Bald Eagle State Forest - RB Winter State Park and Scout Camp trailheads, Rothrock State Forest - Galbraith Gap & Coopers Gap trailheads will give you tons of singletrack, doubletrack, and gravel road. I'd say they along with Raystown are the backbone of trailriding in central PA.

State College has a few smaller spot ....
    Just in case this was confusing to some folks (I was scratching my head the first time I glanced at it), Rothrock State Forest is enormous and covers a large amount of land. It has 100s of miles of single track, double track, and forest roads. Some of it is pretty close to State College with trail heads 15 minutes from campus. I'm assuming wi1trackrider was then also saying that there are other, smaller trails in and near State College proper.

Back to the OP, any of those towns offers easy access to 100s of miles of singletrack within an hour drive. Just hop on I-80 and go for a bit. The real different will be what is "right outside your door" (say, within 20 minutes drive). All of the towns you mentioned have close stuff (Bloom, Danville, Lewisburg, Williamsport).

I grew up outside of Williamsport and I now live in the Wilkes-Barre area. I regularly travel down to riding spots from State College (Rothrock) to Huntingdon (Raystown and more Rothrock) to Lykens (Rattling Creek) to Aristes/Natalie (Roaring Creek) [I think both of the last two are in Weiser State Forest -- correct me if I'm wrong, someone].

The big box of I-80/I-99/I-81/whatever on the south side will keep you pedaling for a long time. Outside, you have stuff in NEPA (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and surrounding areas), Michaux, the Allegheny Highlands, etc. etc.

Of the top of my head, if I had to pick one of those towns to focus on for buying a house (or renting), I'd probably lean towards Lewisburg and then to Bloom or Danville. The news out of Williamsport is always worse than the reality, but even my small town outside of Williamsport is dealing with way too many issues to make me happy.

Best,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks for all the helpful input everyone!

What kind of bikes do most people in the area ride?

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Pretty much everything, Fat, Plus, 29er FS and HT a few Rigid SSers.

The 29er and wider tires work well on rocks in Pa.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful input everyone!

What kind of bikes do most people in the area ride?
    I've been loving my 27.5+ so far.

mtbr member
    29er Full Sus (120mm front, 100mm rear)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Most of this is south of you, but also check out SAMBA | Susquehanna Mountain Biking Association for trail info. From that area of central PA, I'd definitely head west to the State College area. Terrific trails. No too far south of you, Rattling Creek in Weiser state forest is good too. Samba has trail maps of that. Also, check out Mountain Bike Project https://www.mtbproject.com/ That's a great resource for trails

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I live in Williamsport, I put most of the trails up on mtbproject for this area. May look a bit crazy on there but it can be ridden nicely.

Williamsport
    - Williamsport Water Authority
    - Little Bear Area
    - Armstrong Area
    - Rider Park
    - The Gaps

Lewisburg
    - RB Winter

Bloomsburg
    - Hopewell Park
    - Geisinger Trails
    - Roaring Creek

The types of bikes really vary, Hardtail, Fatbike, FS, etc.. most have multiple lol. If you do move to Williamsport, hit me up. A lot of guys in the local club and I ride quite a bit. We will be happy to show you around.

mtbr member
    We do this Trans-Sylvania Epic thing. Now 5 days. Based from a scout camp between Lewisburg and State College. From there we can do 150 miles without repeating much of anything and we certainly don't use everything in the Rothrock and Bald Eagle forests. TSEpic.com. Courses on the site. Not sure where you're coming in from, but we hear it every year, people not from here don't realize what rocky is until they get here. You can't go wrong with big wheels and some nice travel (though people can and do ride it on rigid ss...). You're about to land in some great riding area. Gravel too - hundreds of miles of that as well. And the roads are pretty sweet too.

Interplanetary Traveler
    There is an excellent mountain bike trail system at Swatara St. Park which is about an hour SE of Bloom/Danville just off I-81 Exit 90.