Mountain Lion SW pa- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Mountain Lion SW pa

Hey, I just wanna give everyone a heads up. I was at state park this past weekend and was talking to a park ranger. I was just talking to her and asked if they had heard of any sightings due to all the rumors going around. Well, it's official. There was one hit by a truck not long ago in the Altoona area. Not small either. Probably about 5-6 in length. It is unclear at this point if it was a pet or form the wild but either way I just wanna let everyone know. I got the impression they were keeping it quiet for now.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by 94M400
    Hey, I just wanna give everyone a heads up. I was at state park this past weekend and was talking to a park ranger. I was just talking to her and asked if they had heard of any sightings due to all the rumors going around. Well, it's official. There was one hit by a truck not long ago in the Altoona area. Not small either. Probably about 5-6 in length. It is unclear at this point if it was a pet or form the wild but either way I just wanna let everyone know. I got the impression they were keeping it quiet for now.
    Hum? No... not another state worker holding out? Why would they keep it quiet? I'm sure there is a newspaper article isn't there? What paper?

I saw a 3 legged, 2 headed, orange spotted alligator in January at mOOn lake smoking a cigar! Then it commited sucide by climbing a tree and flying down to it's death on a picker bush... LOL!

Here, Kitty Kitty

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Hum? No... not another state worker holding out? Why would they keep it quiet? I'm sure there is a newspaper article isn't there? What paper?

I saw a 3 legged, 2 headed, orange spotted alligator in January at mOOn lake smoking a cigar! Then it commited sucide by climbing a tree and flying down to it's death on a picker bush... LOL!

Here, Kitty Kitty
    Yeah... your a tool. But anyhow. Take it for what it is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    retype please deleter

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I really don't doubt that there could be some out there. Definately not a large population but if there were a few I wouldn't be surprised. Mountain lions were found in PA back in the late 1800's. Obviously a very long time ago but goes to show that they can and could survive in the state. But as someone that spends a lot of time in the woods between mountain biking and hunting I have to say that I've never seen one. Nor have I ever encountered someone with actual proof. With todays technology (trail cameras, cell phones,etc) there would be pictures all over the web and local news.

One thing is for sure, the Lions that are confirmed in PA play a good game of football.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Just messin wit ya...

... but I spend lots of time in the woods even at night and I never saw one of these critters. Could they exist in PA sure there is no state line boundary police stopping them. Even a pic could be changed to look real nowadays! I don't know why people get all wound up bears are way more popular and dangerous. Funny no bones or carcasses are ever found.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    There were really strong rumos that the game commission released a few in Quebec Run a few years ago. That rumor, like the one in the op, is one the state doesn't seem to like to confirm. I teach high school near Quebec Run and always have students bringing in images from game cams. One time a game commissioner was in talking to the kids and I asked him about it and he said it was impossible.

I saw footprints at Dolly Sods in West Virginia a few years ago at Red Creek. At the time I found a guy who was doing a study (Eastern Lion Research or something like that) and he relayed two accounts where rangers and forest service workers had seen mountain lions at Dolly Sods--one near the picnic area and the other near Bear Rocks.

The most recent account was from a biology teacher I work with. She and her husband observed one pass through their yard in Fayette County. They're both educated people, and I believe them.

ganginwood
    this topic has bean beaten more times than my.....well, nevermind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    If they are there I wouldn't worry too much about them. Keep your dogs close. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning than being attacked by a lion.
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There was a supposed "Mountain Lion" roaming the eastern hills of the City of Pittsburgh, which is where I live.

They even caught it on video one evening..............it ended up being a very fat, overfed, housecat that had obviously been on the loose for quite a while.

mtbr member
    i believe it. nature can adapt to most anything.
    there were multiple sitings of a panther in Philly throughout the 90's
    around '93 or so i saw a mtn lion in suburban philly. i was driving home and there it was on the side of the road. fo reals. lil bigger than a large lab. i came to a full stop 20' away and it trotted off across a field. it was a pretty f'n amazing experience.
    ďLife is hard; itís harder if youíre stupid.Ē-John Wayne

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703

One thing is for sure, the Lions that are confirmed in PA play a good game of football.
    yeah, against 1-AA teams. if penn state ever wants to be taken seriously on the national level again, they're gonna have to step up and play some real teams and produce some real results. your statement still would have been spot on 15 years ago. but sadly, the lions are kinda like america as a whole right now. just going to hell thinking of how great it used to be once.

mtbr member
    I have seen them on private property near Gettysburg PA.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

I really wonder with all the humans running around the woods, mt biking, off roading, atving, hiking, hunting, tagging animals, and interfering with the natural process, the fact the woods really belong to the creatures! If the mountain lions have a message board and say "Hey guys just a warning I saw 3 humans on mt bikes today, but I didn't get any pics with my phone, camera, vid camera, laptop, game camera, security camera, or computer, so just take my word for it, and oh ya I'm just trying to survive and get a meal, cause I don't know how to buy food, get to, or know what a McDonalds is"

In all the woods, in all of Pa, I have yet to see actual proof of a mountain lion where I frequent... but the many elk that are never mentioned are really majestic creatures! So, if ya wanna be really scared and feel as a human just where you stand in the realm of nature...

... GO PET AN ELK!

at least they aren't like cats that run and hide...LOL

Fossil
    The Game Commission's official position is that the animals seen are likely illegally kept lions that were either released or escaped. http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...?A=11&Q=171356

I certainly may be wrong, but I think the original post may be tied to a hoax: http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals...inlion2007.asp

Read down thru the last link (Snopes) and you'll see the Altoona version...
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Iím not out to prove anything! These cats can here and smell you coming from over a mile away. If you are moving through the woods forget about ever seeing one unless it decides you are dinner.

Fossil
    I'm with ya, and I'm not out to say one way or another either.

My father-in-law is a retired game warden from NW PA. For many years he heard rumors of big cats in the woods and denounced the stories as kooky. Then one of his deputies saw one... and he changed his tone a bit. And the PGC has fined folks for keeping and in some cases releasing mtn lions illegally, so the question isn't so much are they there, it's more like is there a native population. My opinion is "probably not", but what would I know. I do think it's a good move to put them back on the endangered species list just in case... wild or not.

To top things off , while on a mtb ride in the ANF near Westline two years ago, I saw one as well. No mistaking one... there are no other cats with real long tails and bodies that neary span the doubletrack, especially when it sits there staring at you from about 75 feet away. It looked thin and ragged, bolstering the PGC's assertion that the ones out there were likely captive at one time. Plus, despite the fact that it was a damp day and I was on a gentle downhill grade, I'm sure a wild/native cougar would've heard me coming and not stuck around. This one just stared back at me for nearly a minute before casually slinking off into the woods... I was in awe as you might imagine. And - of course - no camera.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I used to live in Southern Arizona . Some areas have pretty good populations of pumas, but that doesn't mean you're gonna see them much.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by dredevil
    Iím not out to prove anything! These cats can here and smell you coming from over a mile away. If you are moving through the woods forget about ever seeing one unless it decides you are dinner.
    If it decides I'm dinner, it will earn a well placed piece of lead for it's efforts!

Then I wiil have proof one did exist near me!

Self defense....... ya know!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If it decides I'm dinner, it will earn a well placed piece of lead for it's efforts!

Then I wiil have proof one did exist near me!

Self defense....... ya know!
    That is assuming you know the lion is stalking you. Those cats are so quick they can run you down and pull you off your bike without warning. You'd be lucky to react quick enough to get out your gun.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703
    That is assuming you know the lion is stalking you. Those cats are so quick they can run you down and pull you off your bike without warning. You'd be lucky to react quick enough to get out your gun.
    LOL LOL ... Who said anything about having to "GET" my gun "OUT"...

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    LOL Hum........
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    LOL LOL ... Who said anything about having to "GET" my gun "OUT"...
    lol, fair enough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I could believe it.. isn't there a pretty large population in West Virginia?

I live in the suburbs of philly and remember seeing a mtn lion a few years ago, was confirmed in the newspaper too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I wouldn't worry about a puma going for you on your mtn bike. Big meatheads are not their natural prey! They usually go after smaller humans if they go after them at all. But according to what I read on this thread they are non existent anyway so why even think about it

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jakekenney
    I could believe it.. isn't there a pretty large population in West Virginia?
    I believe Florida is the only state east of the Mississippi that has a confirmed population. It's generally agreed that the species is extinct in all other eastern states. But there is always the possiblity that the Florida population could someday start working itself north into other states.

Members who have read this thread: 0