Moraine trail report- Mtbr.com
    Hermit

Moraine trail report

I've had the chance to get in a couple of rides out at Moraine SP recently. Most of the trail is in good condition - firm tread is the rule. There are a couple of short sections where it was muddy and I had to walk, but I'd say it was 98% good.

At least two trees down, plus sticks and branches scattered everywhere on the trail. Alexander Road to the back parking lot is soft and muddy, but okay for even my little car.

Recent pics and video on my blog.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

The White Jeff W
    I really need to get up there again soon.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Hey swampboy- I sent you a P.M. about Moraine

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have always wanted to make it there but have no idea where to bike. Maybe at some point we could get a group ride together and then maybe head to North Country brewing in Slippery rock for a beer.

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by DBLDEE20 View Post
    Hey swampboy- I sent you a P.M. about Moraine
    I replied with a TON of info. Gotta support another mtbr with a ww kayak avatar.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by 94M400 View Post
    I have always wanted to make it there but have no idea where to bike. Maybe at some point we could get a group ride together and then maybe head to North Country brewing in Slippery rock for a beer.
    It's not hard to find your way around - they red-blazed all the trails a while back. There's a decent map I made on my facebook map page (it's the second map):

Facebook

Got a partial Moraine guide video on youtube from a couple years ago, too:

Moraine mountain bike trail guide part 1 - YouTube

Go get some. It's a great place to ride if you like rocky tech stuff.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info Steve. Maybe I'll see you at Moraine or on the river...

Hermit
    I was out there again on Friday and the trails were once again good enough to get in a ride. There were a couple of muddy spots that I walked around, but if you think that they got 1.25" of rain on Thursday it's pretty amazing that it was as good as it was.

And yeah - the good part of Slippery Rock Creek is only about 15 minutes from Moraine. Sounds like a great opportunity for a ride/paddle combo day!

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks

Hermit
    Moraine was pretty solid again this weekend, even after the rain last week. Seems like the water is starting to soak in again as the soil warms up - the few wet spots generally seemed better than the last couple of weeks.

Looks like there might be some new singletrack on the big rock downhill - like a parallel line. Makes me wonder if they're hoping to include the tech loops near Mt. Union Road in the race out there this year...

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

Hermit
    Had a Friday the 13th ride at Moraine today. The tread keeps on improving, to the point that there were hardly any soft spots, and none that required dismounting.

I put a short vid from today up on da tube:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1LMnHzHo7jw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My wife and I rode Moraine on Apr 12 and 15 (we did Bavington on the 13th). We had a great time. I must give cudos to the new trail work that has nice friendly lines around most of the big, gnarly stuff (excepting rock gardens, of course). The only real mud we had was close to the power line (directly on it and the one newer -- to me -- section of singletrack between the 1st and 2nd hills headed out from the parking lot ... I think across the powerline from the only left-hand side -- headed out -- singletrack rock garden).

The only thing I didn't get on was the "expert level" one-way downhill. I would need a higher level riding partner to do much more than just casually scout it out.

Best,
    Mark

PS "New to me" means anything I don't remember from about 5+ years ago -- which could be memory or truth. *grin*

mtbr member
    Looking to hit Moraine on May 18th. Coming over from Columbus to see the in laws, and I thought I would get ride in. I have never been there and looking for a local to possibly show me around. If anyone is going to be riding, and wouldn't mine me tagging along, let me know.

mtbr member
    swampboy, got your PM,but having some issues replying. Anyhow, I will try to give you a heads up closer the the 18th! As for Moraine and the rocks, should be fun. However, if there is a better trail to ride, I am up for that as well. Just haven't done much in PA
    Ride first, drinks after!

@endo_2011

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_2012 View Post
    swampboy, got your PM,but having some issues replying. Anyhow, I will try to give you a heads up closer the the 18th! As for Moraine and the rocks, should be fun. However, if there is a better trail to ride, I am up for that as well. Just haven't done much in PA
    PM not working right for me either. Just send an email instead.

SteveZ
    swampboy62"AT"yahoo.com
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I will be up there this Saturday if anyone wants to head out. Maybe around lunch?
    Jamie

mtbr member
    Looks like we will be hitting Morraine some time tomorrow; still working on time. I forgot my flats in Ohio, so this should be interesting to say the least, but I am here, so I have to hit this trail system!

@endo_2011

mtbr member
    Actually looking like we will try to ride Brady's run instead! Shooting for a start time between 11 and 12!

@endo_2011

Members who have read this thread: 0