Moosic updates- Mtbr.com

Thread: Moosic updates

mtbr member

Moosic updates

Well, it's been a busy year for me, so I haven't been able to get as much trail work done as I usually do. But the good news is that we're getting done what needs to be done!

In years past, we'd cut back everything about 4' per side in the spring time. But by July, the trails would be overgrown. With 10 years of experience at Moosic, I've learned that the last 2 weeks of June, into the first 2 weeks of July are when the trails go from cut back to overgrown. But the low growth really isn't the issue at hand, the scrub oak is.

What used to take 200+ hours annually with a 6" tri-blade, was now taking us 40 hours with a 22" hedge trimmer (for a Stihl Kombi system). This year we didn't cut back the low growth (blueberry bushes and other stuff) though. I think this is going to be our future plans. This keeps the singletrack, single too. From now on we'll only cut back the scrub oak. We'll trim the low growth in sections where it's needed, but we're not getting carried away with it like we have in the past.

A couple of weeks ago we cut out about 8 downed trees on Waterfall. This is the only section of Moosic that we have hardwoods, so downed trees are a rare find! That said, we cleared out anything that was laying down except for 2. Sometimes downed trees can be considered a TTF (tech trail feature), but a lot of times they're just annoying. There were 2 in particular that were in flowy sections, but were high enough that people were hitting their 24t rings! Lol! Some cut off turns and others were following a stream crossing onto slippery lumber. There's still 2-3 there that have been there since day one.

Lower Blueberry and Middle Blueberry have some reroutes planned. We got the OK. Now, if I could only find some time!

Eric Z. cut back the scrub oak on the lower section of Middle Blueberry just after the rock garden.

I cut back High Voltage and Bruised Ego (from the kiosk to the creek crossing) a couple weeks ago.

I cut back the scrub oak at the end of Blueberry in 2 different areas. One was also trimmed with the 22" cutter.

The scrub oak was cut out at the end of Stonehenge and trimmed for 50'.

And lastly, the trail that crosses the powerline at the end of Stonehenge and connects to Bones/Waterfall has also been trimmed with the 22.

Come ride Moosic this weekend. The leaves are starting to change!

Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Chilling out
    Nice, thanks to all the Trail Gnomes that put in the effort.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Likewise: thanks for maintaining a great trail system.

Best,
    Mark

Rolling on 650b
    Awesome. Thanks for all the work. Gotta plan on getting up there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for all the work! I will be there the weekend of the 30th! Love Moosic!

mtbr member
    Well boys and girls, the busy season is coming to an end soon and I wanted to get up and do a little work before winter is here. So, yesterday I went up and eliminated some bar bangers. There was one on Waterfall just before the creek crossing that had two trees that were too tight. The smaller tree (sapling) was cut down to allow you to coast through without hitting your bar off of the trees.
    The second one was after the second creek crossing on Waterfall, about 100yds out. Two saplings were removed. This will help a lot.

The second section I worked on was on Gene's trail between the Powerline and Connors. Climbing in from the powerline on Gene's, there were 2 trees that were too tight for a modern bicycle to fit between. The uphill tree was cut down. This will stop users from having to get off and walk. There were several saplings (4 I think) that were also cut out along this stretch of trail that were growing up against the trail.
    Between the bog and the rock ledges there was a "v" between two trees that was getting very tight. Even though it was still doable this year, it wouldn't be in the near future. The tree on the right has been eliminated.
    Lastly, by the resivour there were two saplings cut that were between some mature trees and the small ledge (to your right). These two were more or less nuisances and caught your bar sometimes.
    There was also a downed tree that was cleared out too that was close to the resivour.

All of these saplings and small trees that were cut back was done to keep the trail user on the existing trail and not create go-arounds. This won't widen the trail at all Fwiw, but help keep the trails in singletrack condition.

Enjoy the trails! Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    awesome dude you're a trail hero!

mtbr member
    Just stopping by to say thanks! I live in Northern Virginia but my mom and dad both grew up in Throop. My grandparents and loads of aunts, uncles, and cousins still live in the area so I'm up a few times a year. Was in for a cousin's wedding back in October and I brought the bikes with me so my cousin and I could go out. We had a blast riding Moosic and it was a short drive from where my grandparents live near Mid Valley High School. I will definitely be bringing the bikes more often to ride here.

Any other suggestions for the area to ride as well?

Next time I'm up I will make sure to post here and see if anyone is planning on going out. My cousins own the bar Backyard Ale House and I am always down for a post ride beer!

mtbr member
    Awesome! Pm sent
    Hubbard Bike Club

Chilling out
    Fair options not too distant from Moosic, to augment whatever LarryFahn sent you you can look up the trails on both trailforks.com and mtbproject.com (both on the web and in their mobile apps).