Moosic Mt 4/22/12- Mtbr.com
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Moosic Mt 4/22/12

Great day at Moosic Mt today!

Always a bucket of fun, this place is "SUPER"

New trail work on Blueberry trail, lots of "hard work" to do all that "work" and personally appreciated, they repaired a wet spot that "was" getting worse, a big "THANK YOU"

Just in case you notice in the pics, Blueberry trail was burned on purpose last year by the Nature Conservancy to promote new growth, it looks like a moon scape, but soon it will begin to fill in again!

Rode da Moosic Mt...
    ...thanks to all who make it fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moosic Mt 4/22/12-moosic-mt-4-22-12-001_900x900.jpg  

Moosic Mt 4/22/12-moosic-mt-4-22-12-002_900x900.jpg  

Moosic Mt 4/22/12-moosic-mt-4-22-12-004_900x900.jpg  

Moosic Mt 4/22/12-moosic-mt-4-22-12-005_900x900.jpg  

Moosic Mt 4/22/12-moosic-mt-4-22-12-006_900x900.jpg  

Moosic Mt 4/22/12-moosic-mt-4-22-12-007_900x900.jpg  

Moosic Mt 4/22/12-moosic-mt-4-22-12-009_900x900.jpg  

Moosic Mt 4/22/12-moosic-mt-4-22-12-010_900x900.jpg  

Moosic Mt 4/22/12-moosic-mt-4-22-12-008_900x900.jpg  

Moosic Mt 4/22/12-moosic-mt-4-22-12-011_900x900.jpg  

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 04-22-2012 at 12:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I can't believe you rode that place on a rigid SS!!! Hats off to you, my man!

I haven't forgotten about your offer to guide a group of us down at da m00n, and fully intend to take you up on it within the next couple months!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

mudgirl:
    Thanks for the nice words, but...

I have a few secrets:

I helped build Moosic Mt. a bit, carressed a lot of rocks, making friends with them.

and

Rid'in SS since 2005...
    ...but did fall off the wagon a month ago, had to ride a gearie while I rebuilt my SS!!!!!!!!!!! Ended up breaking the "gearie"... LMAO

The Redline is the only bike I ride "everywhere"... LOL

Come on down... Got more new stuff for you to ride near da mOOn also. I will go out a bit on a limb cause I know Scott & Jimmy(owners at HCGA) will agree with me, bring you and your crew down and ride one of HCGA Friday night pasta rides, then camp over and hit the mOOn all day Saturday/Sunday, or we can figure something out if that won't work.

Only requirements are:
    1.Having buckets of fun!
    2.Making friends with lots of ROCKS

Ride da...
    ...fill in the FUN

Keep in touch!

mtbr member

Mmc.....

.....great riding....looks like the trail crews have been busy up that way.....can't wait to make my first trip of the year up there....thanks for the post. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Wizard of the Trail
    A friend and I rode this yesterday. We only hit a part of bruised ego to conglomerate up the access road to Blueberry. We had a blast on the fatbikes. Anyway, that low lying area that you have on the third picture. What is that stuff? Will that stay there or is it like a roman road underneath all that? Riding that was indeed a change of pace. It made that area a breeze, instead of all that mud that was there.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    Anyway, that low lying area that you have on the third picture. What is that stuff? Will that stay there or is it like a roman road underneath all that? Riding that was indeed a change of pace. It made that area a breeze, instead of all that mud that was there.
    Stone dust...it will stay. basically raised the trail up out of the low lying water area. Since that area is solid rock below and being a low lying area it will never drain. If you notice there is a natural artesian pond near there also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    OK, stupid question from a soon to be PA noob... what are the things you have ziptied to your fork and seat stays?

Very cool looking trails.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    OK, stupid question from a soon to be PA noob... what are the things you have ziptied to your fork and seat stays?

Very cool looking trails.
    Welcome soon to be Pa noob, and never a stupid question!

Just one of my inventions that fuel my own confusion... LOL
    "Mud Scrapers"

...less hideous than fenders, and work great, but in a different way than fenders! The rear does nothing to stop flying mud on your back, the front stops it from going out and flying back in your face. Fenders work better for that, but even fenders have short comings. I don't mind being muddy, after all it is mt biking... LOL

An addition is they were "free"(cut out of an old Moto front number plate) with a few zip strips! Being this is a rigid bike made it a bit easier, but I have other mud protectors on my full suspension bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moosic Mt 4/22/12-redline-mud-scrapers-001_900x900.jpg  

Moosic Mt 4/22/12-redline-mud-scrapers-002_900x900.jpg  

Moosic Mt 4/22/12-redline-mud-scrapers-003_900x900.jpg  

Moosic Mt 4/22/12-redline-mud-scrapers-004_900x900.jpg  

Moosic Mt 4/22/12-redline-mud-scrapers-005_900x900.jpg  

Wizard of the Trail
    Now THAT is innovation baby!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    Now THAT is innovation baby!!!

I just finished the new updated version with a much cleaner look by using 3M two sided sticky tape(sans zip strips)

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    I just finished the new updated version with a much cleaner look by using 3M two sided sticky tape(sans zip strips)
    Mud free sweetness!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Moosic is one of the most unique places I've ridden, it has some unique spots that would be tough to find short of "out west". Some crazy rocks in that place. Looks like some nice work they did on blueberry, I used to hate ripping down blueberry and running into the two or three wet spots, that fixes the main one!
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

Wizard of the Trail
    When I first rode moosic, I was intimidated by all the conglomerate rocks. The more I ride it, the more I am liking it. Conglomerate trail being the most challenging trail for me is becoming easy for me. It's amazing to see how you adapt and get better and better. I can clean 90 percent of the trail right now. Each time I get closer and closer to 100 percent. Sometimes, I ride and re-ride sections that I could not clear. I do ride conglomerate better riding towards the parking area, but I am getting better in the opposite direction. The other day my friend and I rode it and it got dark on us. We both had lights and kept riding on conglomerate. Want a rush? Ride conglomerate at night. Crazy! We both did well. Funniest part of the ride was me warning my friend to watch for a drop on the trail. I knew it was coming fast. Everything looks different at night and didn't want him to get hurt. Anyway, he is up ahead and yells, "I found it!". That was classic. One of my favorite trails is blueberry when I am descending and so is the sun. You have such a great view up there and makes for a great place to watch the sun set. The trails make for great times and memories. Anyway, I want to just say thanks to Rob G and all the others for all the work they do up there. The place is great!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Total success, and today I saw a fellow rider while I was out running errands, the topic of Moosic Mt came up with his mentioning he rode there the other day and what a great time he and his friend had, we spoke for a bit and in our conversation topics came up that led me to remember back to the beginning of the process of building Earl's preserve at Moosic mountain.

Lots of hard work with many problems overcome, great people who stepped up, gathered together worked side by side, never looked back or listened to the naysayers!

Just think, back then there were actually a few who wanted nothing to do with it, and caused trouble in an attempt for it to fail... now they ride there as well as other places they wanted "nothing" to do with!

Well "we" won, and more important is we won for all the people who enjoy a great place to ride as well as other venues.

This is just a small segment of black & white text on a forum seen by a few, yet it speaks volumes to those who enjoy a great place!

So, I have to ask you who lost: "How does it feel?"
    LMAO

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Total success, and today I saw a fellow rider while I was out running errands, the topic of Moosic Mt came up with his mentioning he rode there the other day and what a great time he and his friend had, we spoke for a bit and in our conversation topics came up that led me to remember back to the beginning of the process of building Earl's preserve at Moosic mountain.

Lots of hard work with many problems overcome, great people who stepped up, gathered together worked side by side, never looked back or listened to the naysayers!

Just think, back then there were actually a few who wanted nothing to do with it, and caused trouble in an attempt for it to fail... now they ride there as well as other places they wanted "nothing" to do with!

Well "we" won, and more important is we won for all the people who enjoy a great place to ride as well as other venues.

This is just a small segment of black & white text on a forum seen by a few, yet it speaks volumes to those who enjoy a great place!

So, I have to ask you who lost: "How does it feel?"
    LMAO
    I'm not sure who you are referring to and you don't need to say. I do, however, meet some people on occasion that know everything and you can feel the animosity pouring off them. I can usually pick it up and stay clear of them.

Members who have read this thread: 0