Moosic Mountain Vid- Mtbr.com
    I'm more of a dog person

Moosic Mountain Vid

Props to Hubbard Bike Club for building such a nice trail system. I will be riding this more in the future!

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5948152&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5948152&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/5948152">Moosic Mountain 7-8-09</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1813288">unclekittykiller</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

mtbr member
    May 2005
    that makes me want to ride RIGHT NOW!!! too bad i'm stuck at work! lol nice vid!! thanks man!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Great Video. Did you use the GoPro video camera for it.

Chris
    WVMTBA
    Wyoming Valley Mountain Bike Association
    www.wvmtba.com

mtbr member

Nice!

Thx for sharing the vid.....MMC really is a great place to ride....gotta love the tech challenge. RIde On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by foto71
    Great Video. Did you use the GoPro video camera for it.

Chris
    WVMTBA
    Wyoming Valley Mountain Bike Association
    www.wvmtba.com
    yeah, GoPro. with the chest harness. i think the stabilizer mech is broken though. i'm gonna call gopro and have it checked out.

mtbr member

Heres a ...

different perspective ....during winter....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oDPd-IAjvKc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oDPd-IAjvKc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    What trails are filmed in the vid? I've been there a few times but havent gotten the chance to check everything out yet.

mtbr member
    Cool! Nice vid BTW. If you guys see any problems up there as far as the trails go, let me know. I haven't been up in the last month since I've been over Prompton for a couple weeks and taking a break from the work.

Are trails are in the September issue of Backpacker magazine I was told. Be aware! More hikers will be around now. We're trying to work with The Nature Conservancy. So please obey the signs. There's only 3 small loops that are for hiking only. Let's keep on TNC's good side. More good things will come!

At 1:31 you can cut a sharp right and avoid "The Gap" It's a 2 foot gap between the rocks that people liked clearing. Hence the reference as the trail is still Stonehenge. Jeffs vid shows Brent trying it. How was the Roman Road just after 'The Gap'?

That particular trail is Stonehenge. The big rocks in the beginning reminded Gene Katapski of Stonehenge. We kept referencing to it as we were building the trails, so the name stuck.

The segment after that is Conglomerate.

Around 3:30 there's a split. If you go to the Left it's the continuum of the Conglomerate loop. By going straight it's the intro of Stonehenge which will take you out to The View Loop. PS. JeffSkisMontanna and Dave made that creek crossing at 3:38!

4:18 is High Voltage. This name comes from a section of trail out by a fireplace (5:29 if you look to the Left.) that someone made. You can see the windmills in Waymart to the North, Berwick Nuclear Power plant to the South and you're only 100 yds from the power lines. High Voltage.

7:30 is Gene's trail as you're coming out by the lower gate.

ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Great video! Thanks for sharing.

I'm more of a dog person

Signage Suggestion

just wanted to make a suggestion to the guys at Hubbard. i found myself having a bit of a hard time following the map in some areas. while most of the trail intersections have directional markers, there are no trail names posted (some did but most didn't), just arrows. it would be a big help for first time riders to have trail names posted underneath all the signage on the markers. these trails are really nice and not having to stop and struggle with directions would make the ride that much better. that being said, i'm glad that i found this beautiful trail system as it is only 20min from the family lake house, i'm totally stoked!

ganginwood
    please don't.
    my .02 on this is to eliminate all signs and or paint/markers all together.

i understand the argument that they help with the nav, but there is no bigger buzz kill then being in the woods and seeing paint, signs, or any other man made material. it sucks.

mt top is a good example of this. as far as "commercial trails" go, they are they offer the best network around. no one complains about trail names/direction. everyone knows the names and where they go, yet there are no signs around.

if this was your first time riding up there, maybe take a few laps and expect some delays before requesting trail graffiti. figuring out where you're at is half the fun,
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    please don't.
    my .02 on this is to eliminate all signs and or paint/markers all together.

i understand the argument that they help with the nav, but there is no bigger buzz kill then being in the woods and seeing paint, signs, or any other man made material. it sucks.

mt top is a good example of this. as far as "commercial trails" go, they are they offer the best network around. no one complains about trail names/direction. everyone knows the names and where they go, yet there are no signs around.

if this was your first time riding up there, maybe take a few laps and expect some delays before requesting trail graffiti. figuring out where you're at is half the fun,
    trail graffiti?? that's just a really bad arguement, plain and simple. there is already neon yellow trail marking posts at most of the intersections, so placing a small sticker with trail names under the arrows isn't going make a bit of difference. talking about buzz kills, your gripe is just plain whiney. there is nothing worse than getting lost in the woods when your are on a schedule and can't afford to be gone all day. not all of us are in our teens/early twenties with no type of responsibilty to attend to. and not everyone who rides the trails are locals either, so we don't all get to ride these places enough to know them by heart. you're being selfish. being in the woods and escaping reality for a while is fun and all, but safety always trumps fun, or at least it should.
    btw i seem to remember seeing huge powerlines overhead of the access roads that connect some of the trails. they are man made, do you suggest ripping them down so you don't have to look at them? please, this is the 21st century, man made stuff is everywhere. you can't escape it, so deal with it.

ganginwood
    Quote Originally Posted by unclekittykiller
    not all of us are in our teens/early twenties with no type of responsibilty to attend to.

and not everyone who rides the trails are locals either,
    btw i seem to remember seeing huge powerlines overhead of the access roads that connect some of the trails. do you suggest ripping them down so you don't have to look at them?

please, this is the 21st century, man made stuff is everywhere. you can't escape it, so deal with it.
    you hit my profile right on the nose. but yes....there are plenty of places around that you won't find manmade "stuff". you just have to look harder than mtbr. you;ll need a guide not an arrow.

fwiw, i'm not a fan of the yellow/neon blazes either. i'd prefer to see cairns. but i didn't make the trails. i did however like the video that you made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    i did however like the video that you made.
    well, thanks for that. like i said earlier, the stabilizer mechanism broke when the camera came loose and fell off my handlebars. thats why it looks a little shakey. hopefully i'll have it fixed before i head back up that way so i can make Part 2.

mtbr member

AceMan...too funny.....

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    Cool! Nice vid BTW. If you guys see any problems up there as far as the trails go, let me know. I haven't been up in the last month since I've been over Prompton for a couple weeks and taking a break from the work.

Are trails are in the September issue of Backpacker magazine I was told. Be aware! More hikers will be around now. We're trying to work with The Nature Conservancy. So please obey the signs. There's only 3 small loops that are for hiking only. Let's keep on TNC's good side. More good things will come!

At 1:31 you can cut a sharp right and avoid "The Gap" It's a 2 foot gap between the rocks that people liked clearing. Hence the reference as the trail is still Stonehenge. Jeffs vid shows Brent trying it. How was the Roman Road just after 'The Gap'?

That particular trail is Stonehenge. The big rocks in the beginning reminded Gene Katapski of Stonehenge. We kept referencing to it as we were building the trails, so the name stuck.

The segment after that is Conglomerate.

Around 3:30 there's a split. If you go to the Left it's the continuum of the Conglomerate loop. By going straight it's the intro of Stonehenge which will take you out to The View Loop. PS. JeffSkisMontanna and Dave made that creek crossing at 3:38!

4:18 is High Voltage. This name comes from a section of trail out by a fireplace (5:29 if you look to the Left.) that someone made. You can see the windmills in Waymart to the North, Berwick Nuclear Power plant to the South and you're only 100 yds from the power lines. High Voltage.

7:30 is Gene's trail as you're coming out by the lower gate.

ttyl, Fahn
    You remember every detail.....here is a few shots of the trail work....for the record.....Brian and Mike were the brains behind that creek crossing.....the rest of us just provided some muscle..
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I rode MMC yesterday and someone must have read this post because there are trail names on the yellow markers. It is written small but it's there if you look.

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by tanner44
    I rode MMC yesterday and someone must have read this post because there are trail names on the yellow markers. It is written small but it's there if you look.
    Nice! hopefully they're written in permanent marker

mtbr member
    They're written on the arrows for several months, but pretty small due to the size of the arrows. Yes, they're in permanent marker too. We've talked about other signage, but money for a NPO such as TNC is hard to come by due to the economy. Stuff like that is what the donations are used for. You just need to look closely. As far as liking the signs or not. Just ride. It's what TNC used in the past. As far as 4x4's- It's nearly solid rock we're working with up there. Try digging the slot it takes to put the yellow trail markers in and you'll see what I mean.

Tired and going to bed. ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Members who have read this thread: 0