Moon Lake still county owned!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Moon Lake still county owned!

I'm sure most have noticed the sign installed at the trailhead outside the main gate defining all the DCNR rules and policies. Did anyone happen to see yesterday's paper? If you did then you also saw the article which clearly states Luzerne County still owns Moon Lake and that the closing on the handover to DCNR won't be until sometime in October. So there is plenty of time to let your riding partner off his/her leash and get them out to enjoy Da Moon.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    rules are made to be broken..... especially when nobody around to enforce them.
    that said, i'm sure we'll see more lightbars in the future, lame...

mtbr member
    i am the ultimate thread killer... ph33r m3!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    As I posted in the other Moon Lake thread, it might not be legal for the county to transfer ownership of the park. The PA supreme court has ruled that local government agencies don't "technically" own the parks, the people do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm curious how much things will change if/when the state takes over.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HyDef View Post
    As I posted in the other Moon Lake thread, it might not be legal for the county to transfer ownership of the park. The PA supreme court has ruled that local government agencies don't "technically" own the parks, the people do.
    This was my concern all along, why did the county officials get to give away county land when the taxpayers had no say? At least we should of had a chance to vote on it...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    This was my concern all along, why did the county officials get to give away county land when the taxpayers had no say? At least we should of had a chance to vote on it...
    It is something you guys in Luzerne county can to look into as a last resort. Depending on how the land was originally bought by, or donated to, the county you should have standing to sue the county.

You would sue stating a violation of the Donated and Dedicated Property Act of 1959 or the Public Trust Doctrine of 1915 (Trustees of the Philadelphia Museums v. Trustees of the Univ. of Pennsylvania). Again, depends on the deed, and how the county acquired the property.

Chilling out
    IMO, I think the land would be MUCH BETTER OFF if it were actually managed by DCNR.

Sure, the completely-absent-landlord factor would go away and trail maintenance may become marginally constrained, but that seems like a fair trade for a park that is actually maintained and looked after instead of just continuing to slide into more ruin and disrepair.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    DCNR? cough cough... their example stands at Frances Slocum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DCNR had better improve their image in our area!

So, who do I blame as a trail user and taxpayer in the state of PA? Trees fall down at FS and it is months before they get removed. We are told we a cannot remove them, and you yourself have told me we can't go around them. Basically the trail is closed!

I can remove trees in minutes and have been for years at many places. I don't get paid a huge state salary either. In fact I work as a volunteer for free and have an application at that park on record. Yet I have been told I can't work on improving the trails!

I'm sick of the cookie cutter image DCNR provides. Moon Lake had a hometown feel not a big government run park! Moon Lake has a huge draw as far as mt biking and fishing goes and it has character, Moon Lake was thrown in as a bargaining chip to allow the state to have other lands in that deal.

My door is always open to anyone who truly wants to work and improve all we have in our area, but like Clif Madrack told me..."If your BSing me don't come back"

So what we need is open and improved conversation with DCNR and the people in place that will get the job done and not run around saying the mt bikers don't matter because the park manager has to monitor the bumper boats!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Very well said. IMO DCNR usually has some sort of political agenda, and most times it doesn't favor the people or group that fight so hard for what is right and deserving.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    IMO DCNR usually has some sort of political agenda, and most times it doesn't favor the people or group that fight so hard for what is right and deserving.
    ^How is this any different than the Luzerne County Council?

Chilling out
    I would not categorize DCNR's activities by Slocum alone, after all DCNR also supports such sites as Swatara State Park, RB Winter State Park (and the surrounding forest), Pine Grove Furnace State Park (and surrounding Michaux State Forest), Greenwood Furnace State Park (and surrounding Rothrock State Forest), all of which have excellent facilities and significant trail systems used by various communities.

I'm just as sure that there are other locations that are even less well served than our Slocum park has been over time.

In my limited (almost 6) years of observation of the state of things here in NE PA the fact of the state of the various lands is more attributable to how the local communities have and have-not worked well with the related staff (DCNR or not), and how well or poorly the management staff for those sites have work with and against the communities.

Not all of the user communities were badly served, but it's for certain that not all user communities were served to the depth and support that they desired.

The way things are going for Moon I'd expect the state of the facilities to continue to decline as weather, and more vandalism, occur, until such a time as it's an unsafe eye-sore.

Of course, for some user communities that is just fine, they're only interested in what happens behind the treeline, and to them they would prefer that there be no actively engaged management of the land.

Personally, I would much prefer there be something actively happening to maintain Moon. I have a very warm place in my heart for the park ... after all I lived there - literally - for most of July in '09 after me and the mrs moved here to PA - anyone remember our little camper?

Lee, you've been such a constructive part of the development of the trail facilities, and social activities, at Moon I'd hope that you continue in that participation regardless of who the landowner is, and how they approach the facilities. That way the spirit and heart of the Moon trail system would not be lost. Your strongly voiced opinion against one very valid future land manager gives me concern that should DCNR actually end up managing the land - or honestly almost any other orgnization, and doing so actively, that we would lose your participation.

That would be a huge loss.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    bear,

I'm not negative in any way... I'm in it with you and always work for a solution which I think as a bigger group we can formulate.

I use FS as a example of what has happened there. It will take the future for us to view how things will be... the devil I know, and devil I don't know!