Moon Lake Park Wednesday night Mt Bike rides supported by NEPMTBA starts 4/1/09- Mtbr.com
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Moon Lake Park Wednesday night Mt Bike rides supported by NEPMTBA starts 4/1/09

To all:

We welcome all for year two of riding the mOOn beginning 4/1/09!

Come on over to the mOOn with your Mt Bike/Hike and get your tires/hiking shoes dirty every Wednesday night at 6 PM at the Main Gate at Moon Lake park. Ride 20 miles of trails ranging from Total Trials Tech to Dirt Roads and everything in between with elevation gains from little hills to chain breaking climbs including a just for fun dual slalom, pump track, freeride sections, and more trials sections. Everyone invited, and no one left behind. Rides are from 1.5 to 3 hours. Refreshments including water and soda machines as well as bathrooms throughout the park. Our 4 legged friends are welcome to ride/hike along with us. Since we have so many options of trails to ride every ride is different, so no one gets board, and I'm sure there will be some more new trails built this year as well as many great events planned.

See ya at the mOOn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! It's almost here...

...the 2009 riding season of Wednesday night rides at the mOOn!

We will kick off with a good mix of all our fav trails like Salamander, T-Rex, the Dark, Moto, and Burt's! And the newest trail --- the opening section of 5858!

Remember there are new maps of the "20" miles of trails at te park office or from NEPMTBA to help guide you around and many new trail signs are up!

Is everyone ready in tune to ride the mOOn?

See ya at the mOOn
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 03-31-2009 at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've been excited for a while about getting out biweekly for the Slocum and Moon rides, and would you believe I am sick!

Do you ride past dark on these rides?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by glahnb
    I've been excited for a while about getting out biweekly for the Slocum and Moon rides, and would you believe I am sick!

Do you ride past dark on these rides?
    Brian:

Usually we do not ride into the dark. Unless your talking about the trail named "The Dark" then Yes, we ride that...LOL

Rides start at 6PM and usually last 2 hours.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

The First MLPWN ride of the second season is in the books!

Thanks to Chris(Murph) for braving the rain on April Fools day to come out and ride. As the weather wasn't too cold it turned out to be not too bad in the woods.

See ya next Wednesday night at the mOOn!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Does riding in the rain hurt the trails any?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Don't worry the trails we rode on weren't built yet. The one side of the park does hold up very well in the rain anyway. Nature's Way had about 3 feet where the trail was muddy in it's whole distance. It would be interesting to see what a few of the trails that are generally very good in the rain are doing right now. I might have to go out there tomorrow to get a real idea since it just rained again today.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by glahnb
    Does riding in the rain hurt the trails any?
    Brian:

Like Chriffer said, I agree, and I would add it depends on the soil composition and the time of year(temperature) trail design, and land contours. Winter thaw into spring is the worst on trails as the frost comes out of the ground and plays havoc with trails. The Moon is blessed with a bowl shaped area that drains like crazy. Unlike Frances Slocum where the water has no where to go in many places. We are always chasing water at FS and most of the trails need to be redesigned as they weren't properly designed on day one! You have to remember there were no mt bikes in 1969 at Frances Slocum... LOL

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Ride number 2

Ride 2 of the Moon Lake Park Wednesday night Mt Bike ride series supported by NEPMTBA 4/8/09 Prolly ride the DH and Plan B with a loop around our fav T-Rex... meet at Main Gate at 6PM All welcome!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Thanks to all who rode the mOOn tonight. It was my turn to lead and we did all the insane stuff that wasn't level. Loren(dancing bear) Possinger was seen riding way too fast tonight while Chris(Murph) brought out another crazy ride. The Motobecane with fixed 35/17 gear and monstercross skinny 35mm tires as he proceeded to try to destroy his ride, and I recommend he gets shin pads...LOL Chuck & Shoe had their own special loop with Joan & Buddy riding the insane stuff with us, and at one point Joan even gave me a "Go for it" on Edge of the leadge! Jake brought out the Poo brown Redline SS and cranked it up all the tough stuff Nice ridin Jake! Buddy ripped it up and looked for Scooby snacks on the ride! Ride the mOOn...

YES THERE WAS A FULL MOON!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Is it that time aready?

Another Wednesday night ride at the mOOn this time with segment two of 5858 on dirt and a new connector trail to Salamander just finished this week You can challenge the newest of the mOOn' tech intensive trails, and they are wet from the recent weather so the Sultan of "Slippy" has returned.

There is also a beginner ride for anyone interested in a slower fun pace on more relaxed trails

6PM main gate all invited
    See ya at the mOOn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Great mOOn ride everyone, 5858 lived up to its name as the tough one! not followed to far back by Sally... Nice to see such a large turnout! See ya Sunday at the trailcare day.... Ride after

mtbr member

Moon Lake Trail Day...

Lee can you post up the info for this Sundays trail day again. Thx.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

It's time again to ride the mOOn....

Celebrate Earth Day tonight at the mOOn... Looks like a great night...

See ya at the mOOn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

So guess what fellow riders?

Yes, it's time to ride the mOOn again!

More fun

More trails

More dirt

More rocks

More riding

More friends

Wednesday night

5/20/09

6PM

Main Gate
    All invited
    All the above

See ya at the mOOn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Thanks to all who rode the mOOn last night!

I think we had over 20 people, with more first timers joining our already "largest in the area" and growing even more each week. It's great to see lot's getting out and riding mt bikes. It's getting more and more popular.

3 separate rides developed of different skill levels. Big Daddy Todd led the rookies for a spin by Nature Center onto Big Blue, Joan, with Buddy in tow led another group for a mid paced ride around the classic mOOn lake loop. And Chuck(the Main Bike Shop maniac) took the rest on a killer... down 5858, flume up, the flip turn hill challenge that put me on my back in the dirt... LOL waaa waaa No damage to the helmet cam...LOL I gave it my all. No one has made that clean yet! On to the second half of NFS to Plan B then stone steps, T-Rex2, Screamer, Buddies, Big Blue, Thorny and finished at the main gate.

Another highlight was a stop at the new Deacon trials area to ride the new north shore mini sections! Many positive comments and lot's of fun!

Next Wednesday we will have 2 rides on the same night. A true dark night ride requiring lights and the usual 6 PM ride from the main gate first. More info as this develops by next Wednesday. Maybe we will ride all night and have a breakfast cookout.

No one took pis cause everyone was having so much fun riding once again maybe next time we get pics, but I doubt it!

Old school Mike and I had a mini trail builders meeting on trail while riding up NFS about one section that will be redesigned to lend more flow both ways.

So come ride with us at the Moon!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Listen!

Yep...

The Moons a happening place, and it's Wednesday again! For our fellow roadies who do the Grotto ride, if the roads too wet, swap your road for mountain bike, come to the Moon and get dirty with us!

Here's some updates from this past week at the mOOn:

Deacon's really shap'in up with new icon entrance gateway...LOL, Deacon signs are up, the duck says duck(you gotta ride it to understand), 6 hours of trail work yielding a new Frankenskinny and a better beginner line, and the beginning of the Freeride rollercoaster!

4 hours of work on 5858 yielded "Mister STINKY Rock" flowed out by alignment of his rock friends and a fresh coating of " Locker" If you would like to know what Locker is attend our next workday and we will show ya! Also 5858 hand picked clean of debris without the use of a leaf blower, gotta keep 5858 natural and epic!

Many more additions to come including even more trails, the pump track, freeride sections...

A shout on our shoutbox from Nick:

"Hey all! Just wanna give accolades to the site and all it's contributors. I've been off the bike for a few years and am dyin to get back on. Happened to take the dog for a walk at the Moon the other day and stumbled on your trail system. WOW! Fantastic when you say it's world class I have to agree. Hopefully I'll get out and be able to join yuz for a group ride soon, and the trail work days as well, all my old ridin partners ummm bonked on me! Anyhow thanks again for the hard work and your efforts. Oh and I signed one of those Moon Lake petitions!

================================================== =

To our NEPMTBA "gang" members: Will Loren P. show up at the mOOn Wednesday with a blank check? Can anyone successfully ride the Frankenskinny? Will Chuck K ever ride his bike again? Will Joan have snacks for Buddy? Will Buddy successfully ride the Frankenskinny?...LOL Will CC need stiches? Will Bill bonsai the NFS downhill? Will Ty wheelie everything in site? Will Big Daddy Todd crush anyone with his bare hands? Will Jake drop everyone on the uphills with his singlespeed? Will Chris Murph ride non fixed gear? Will Mike continue his ride everyday of the week plan? Will Shoe show up a on a Race Horse? Will I stop typing this s88t?... LOL

All can be answered today at the mOOn...

and every Wednesday, 6PM, Main Gate, parking on "pavement" for lot's of cars, soda/water machines, bathrooms, Trials areas, skills area, 20 miles of epic trails, mt biking Nature Center, trail maps, ride it...

...MOOns rock'in......Literally

Attached Images Attached Images

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Thanks to all who rode tonight in the rain...Chris Murph and I kept our streak alive by once again riding all the really difficult trails, hope you like the crazy off camber stuff, NFS in the rain is "NUTS" ... but it was fun in a sick kinda way!

Here's to ya!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

It's mOOnday again...

...and I hear there was some work going on last night at the mOOn... surprises are great!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

It's mOOnday again...

Time to ride the trails...

Surprises? Hum? Another NEW TRAIL?

Could be...

Gotta show, to know

Ride the mOOn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

To all:

Another new trail at the mOOn is on the Dirt!

"Deacon" and all got a first time ride tonight on the weekly Wednesday night ride at the mOOn.

Check it out... once again NEPMTBA brings ya more trails in NEPA!

Members who have read this thread: 0