Moon Lake Park saved by NEPMTBA 5/21/09- Mtbr.com
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Moon Lake Park saved by NEPMTBA 5/21/09

North Eastern Mt Bike Association (NEPMTBA) saves the park!

At one time or another we have all been there. Backed up against the wall with money and other concerns that make us feel there is no way to go forward. As with many places around, Moon Lake park located in Luzerne County Pa has been fighting for it's life. A while back in time NEPMTBA started developing a world class trail system at the park headed by Lee Curry the leader of NEPMTBA, Chuck and Tyler Kovach and many members of NEPMTBA, supported by Nikki Banfield park naturalist, Park Manager Clif Madrack and local bike shops. With the tough times at one point the park had to be totally closed. NEPMTBA never gave up or complained, we just worked harder, and it paid off as the Luzerne county county commissioners, Maryann Petrilla, Greg Skrepenack, and Stephen Urban, Andy Gegaris Luzerne county rec and environmental, Moon lake park manager Clif Madrack, park staff, and local newspapers to work out a solution.

Chuck Kovach worked his tail off assembling a petition drive with over 3603 names of county residents and 125 school children with their stories of how they love the park and everyone wanted to keep the park open. Others who fish, hike, dog walk, the RC flyers, bike shops, out of towner's, RVers and countless other supporters stepped up to led a hand. Owners of Around Town bikes in Wilkes Barre, Tom Jones & Rich Adams and their staff offered support in all aspects including our Mt Bike rides, the MTB weekend and Rich Adams doing a very honorable reading of a speech he personally typed up to the commissioners at the his months meeting. Here's the body of his speech:

"It's always difficult making choices for county funding and your job is not an easy one. Moon lake Park had over 125,000 visitors last year enjoying a wide variety of activities. including swimming, fishing, camping, disc golf, and radio control flying. I have with me a petition signed by 3,603 county voters and an additional 125 letters from local school children to reinstate the full and total services provided by Moon Lake park prior to 2009. I am asking you to please consider the park as a asset which can potentially provide income opportunities for the county, and as an affordable vacation for residents.

For the past 2 years Chuck Kovach and Lee Curry along with all members of NEPMTBA have spent hundreds of hours designing, and building mt bike/hiking trails in Moon Lake park and have organized groups to help maintain them and raise awareness about the unique and beautiful area we have. They have created maps, constructed signage and have used the NEPMTBA website and other internet newsgroups to promote Moon Lake as a destination.

Around Town bikes has clearly benefited from these new trails. With mountain biking restricted in state Pennsylvania gamelands and some state parks, Moon Lake remains one of the few areas to enjoy our sport. For our customers, we are able to recommend a safe, clean, accessible park for new and more experienced riders. As a result we are selling more bicycles with those customers continuing with the sport, often returning to our shop for supplies and repairs, bringing in their friends and family for more bike purchases.

Word has spread about riding at Moon lake and visitors from outside the county and state are regularly making the trip to enjoy the new trail system. Hosting a Mt Bike festival at Moon Lake park would showcase a world class race course and trail system, generate revenue through camping, parking, and entry fees. Most importantly it would highlight our area as a destination bringing people and commerce from the surrounding counties and states. Several of these type of events have been successful at Weiser state forest hosted by Rattling Creek singletrackers and MTB weekend in Jim Thorpe at their counties Mauch Chunk lake park.

Moon lake is an asset. It provides much needed recreation and solitude for us, the residents of Luzerne county. Please re-instate the services to the park and consider a mountain bike festival to attract commerce and provide a new and exciting into our area"

The results are the commissioners worked hard to resource the funds and a plan to reopen the park as to 2009 standards. They also support NEPMTBA's plans for a county Mt Bike festival in the park as well as going forward with Mt Bike races and events.

We can now say --- Win Win Win for all.

I personally would like to thank "EVEREYONE" involved and the countless hours you put into this great park surrounded by the Lackawanna State Forest, now know as a world class destination, and I'm proud to announce the August 1st & 2nd 2009 Moon Lake MTB weekend which includes a the kids weekend as well, with Moon lake being a Keystone Active Zone destination.

More info coming until then take your first visit to the Moon or your 90th visit. It's a great place for all!

mtbr member
    SWEET!!!!! Thanks to everyone who had a hand in this turnaround.

mtbr member
    Thats great news, Thanks! I'm planning on heading up there this weekend.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    gr4eat news and great work a big thanks to all

May 2009
    WOW moonlake a must ride, Future home of some of the best mtb festivals is the state. keep your eyes open and come have a blast. If any one has ideas about posible events at moon lake let us know @(NEPMTBA) We could make it happen.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Props...

Lee and all

Great work for showing that cycling is a key factor in the livability of any area. You have the gathered the support of the political establishment and have championed a cause that benefits a broad cross section of the general public. Congratulations. I wish you well in the mountain bike festival in August and only wish I could be there to help.

John McBurney
    Greenville SC

On May 22, 2009, at 9:09 AM, Stephen Miller wrote:

Just adding my congratulations! It is always nice to get recognized for any trail work, but you went beyond the trail and addressed the multiple functions of the park! I have seen a couple of articles on Moon Lake; you have provided the community with a great resource.Way to go!!
    Steve
    Alexandria,VA

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Props...

Lee and all

Great work for showing that cycling is a key factor in the livability of any area. You have the gathered the support of the political establishment and have championed a cause that benefits a broad cross section of the general public. Congratulations. I wish you well in the mountain bike festival in August and only wish I could be there to help.

John McBurney
    Greenville SC

On May 22, 2009, at 9:09 AM, Stephen Miller wrote:

Just adding my congratulations! It is always nice to get recognized for any trail work, but you went beyond the trail and addressed the multiple functions of the park! I have seen a couple of articles on Moon Lake; you have provided the community with a great resource.Way to go!!

Steve
    Alexandria,VA

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 05-24-2009 at 05:41 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0