Moon Lake Park given to state...- Mtbr.com
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Moon Lake Park given to state...

Moon lake park Seven Tubs and the missing link were handed over to the state last night by Luzerne county council

mtbr member
    They going to honor the existing mountain bike use and your relationship to those parks?
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've seen a lot more trees with ribbons on and some "cut" signs. I fear it will be a barren wasteland.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    All remaining activities will remain under the new owners

mtbr member
    Hope it remains that way....

mtbr member
    It's a great day for mountain biking in Luzerne County! Of all the possible outcomes, this one definitely works for us. We've got our park. I know some of you feel cautious, and that's definitely good, but it could have been so much worse.

Now there's work to be done.

I'd like to:

1. Establish a relationship with DCNR. Let them know we're here; what we're about, talk about the history of mountain biking here, the volunteer trail maintenance. No one's better for that job than Lee.

2. Tie up loose ends: (These were mentioned in the 2012 Moon Lake Master Plan. An excellent read, by the way. It should be a good read for how much they paid for the report haha).
    -Mark trail access points
    -Identify ADA accessible trails
    -Standardize trail signage (this one is already pretty good)
    -Identify primary trail uses (such as mountain biking and hiking).

3. Trails are almost all mapped in Google Maps (with the exception of Dual, ET, and a connection or two). Also OSM.

4. We're up on Wikipedia! Moon Lake Park

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Z,

All of a sudden it's a park to mt bike in? Where have you been? The past 7 years we worked very hard and have done all that it took to get Moon lake into a mt biking area. I agree we will go forward from here and we already have all you spoke of...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Z,
    All of a sudden it's a park to mt bike in? Where have you been? The past 7 years we worked very hard and have done all that it took to get Moon lake into a mt biking area. I agree we will go forward from here and we already have all you spoke of...
    Haha, when I first started riding there, I definitely did question "where I've been" to miss most of the history of riding at this amazing place.

I meant "We could have lost our park to mountain bike in. But we've got it! Woo!" Of course there's reason to be cautious, but it could have been so much worse. Like "Moon Lake ATV Park." ← Sayonara sustainable trails.

And no, trails definitely aren't marked for trail usage (think hiker or biker icon). Trails definitely aren't indicated for ADA accessibility. I'd say they aren't completely signed. I know this because I personally spent quite a bit of time mapping it. These are small things. But definitely something to address to help solidify our presence.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    We were never in jeopardy of loosing the park.The trails are multi use and the locals have atvs but the respect the singletrack. We have a great relationship with the local land owners. We have never had any problems there. And riding and getting to know the place is half the fun!

mtbr member
    There were proposals for turning Moon Lake Park into a "high octane adventure park for ATVs." (The Times Leader Op-Ed page argued for that). Definitely would have affected mountain biking. There were definitely other proposals that were incompatible with mountain biking. At the end, DCNR went for it. So the other proposals may not have been seriously considered, but they were certainly out there in visible places. And really, you never really know what could have happened.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Wow. Dcnr went for it? How could they pass it up? It was basically given to them for a few thousand$. Most people that have gone there know it is basically a place to hike/bike, walk dogs, and fish and bird watch. As for ADA accesible, no there really isn't much. Not even sure where to go with that. Kinda rocky terrain. I first went there over 5 years ago and enjoyed just finding my way. I asked riders about trails and there were glad to help me out. Sure there could be more trail signage. Not a hard task. As for the mapping thank you. Great job. As for the trails lee deserves the credit. Maintenance : everyone deserves credit. As for the other usage ideas not enough land for atvs. I know. I ride. In the end we are fortunate to still be able to ride Da Moon. Our presence is known.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Z,

Your just filled with rad ideas! ...LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    Wow. Dcnr went for it? How could they pass it up? It was basically given to them for a few thousand$.
    DCNR didn't want Moon Lake. Fact. Lee said so on these forums. He can speak for himself.

Most people that have gone there know it is basically a place to hike/bike, walk dogs, and fish and bird watch.
    Irrelevant. Marking trail use for hiking or biking is standard practice. I have no problem working with DCNR to get it done. I care about navigation issues; you don't have to. It's okay.

As for ADA accesible, no there really isn't much. Not even sure where to go with that. Kinda rocky terrain.
    Of course. The point was only to identify which trails or trail segments are ADA-accessible. For example, SR 2 and County Rd. 4 may be. I don't personally know; I'd have to look at the specific requirements in the Americans with Disabilities Act/ regs. I'm not saying build ADA-accessible trails. Identifying is not a difficult or remotely controversial thing. It's standard practice.

I first went there over 5 years ago and enjoyed just finding my way. I asked riders about trails and there were glad to help me out. Sure there could be more trail signage. Not a hard task.
    Exactly. Not a hard task. Again, this is standard practice.

As for the other usage ideas not enough land for atvs. I know. I ride.
    I don't want ATVs at Moon Lake Park. Dear God, no. That was a Times Leader Editorial idea; not mine. At any rate, even if 650-acres (minus the lake and wetlands) is too small for ATVs, I wouldn't have counted on Luzerne County to make good decisions. "Build a too-small ATV park?" Yep, wouldn't have put it past them.

fish
    Oct 2012

Smile

Happy New Year!! Z.. Today was a perfect day to ride da moon. Judging from your input on the state buying Monlake park, you should have joined in on the New Years Day ride and got to meet some of the moonlake riding family. Put your voice into action. Introduce yourself and come ride the trails that Lee designed and everyone helps maintain. ..It was a great ride for everyone that joined in. The simple potluck aftr was nice aftr the ride as well..THANKS!!!
    Don't Limit your Challenges...Challenge your Limits!!!!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bikergirl6923 View Post
    Happy New Year!! Z.. Today was a perfect day to ride da moon. Judging from your input on the state buying Monlake park, you should have joined in on the New Years Day ride and got to meet some of the moonlake riding family. Put your voice into action. Introduce yourself and come ride the trails that Lee designed and everyone helps maintain. ..It was a great ride for everyone that joined in. The simple potluck aftr was nice aftr the ride as well..THANKS!!!
    Yes I agree,

Z,

Black text on a white page just don't give justice to the fun that is had at mOOn. Over the past 7 years we have had too many to list... rides with "many" friends. So why not add you face to the mix and see what the talk is about at da mOOn!

mtbr member

Will do! Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    We'd all be interested in meeting you to discuss future plans for our park.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Z,m

I have to ask are you working for the state?

mtbr member

Nah. They hiring? Cause I'm looking haha.

As it turns out, I think a certain young rider from White Haven who KOMs everything he rides--one of his relatives (dad?) is actually the regional contact for DCNR. Small world! I was reading this report about trail building this morning, and, boom, Lorne Possinger's name came up. And he's a mountain biker too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    There it is!... LOL

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    For future reference, if the park is ever threatened, look to the PA Supreme Court case 'Trustees of the Phila Museums v. Trustees of the Univ. of Pa.' Also know as The Public Trust Doctrine of 1915.

The PA Supreme Court stated that public parks belong to the people because the people paid for the land, paid for renovations and paid for perpetual care management. The government entity is merely a trustee constitutionally charged with the care of the park on behalf of the people.

Here is a link to a story about that case. It also references another case, Bernstein v. Pittsburgh.

Court to City: "Parks Too Precious to Privatize"