Moon Lake ??? - downloaded the map - wondering- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Moon Lake ??? - downloaded the map - wondering

which trails would be suitable for a beginner? Or, better yet, which trails should a beginner avoid??? Thanks,

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ok first off the newest map there is right now is here http://chriffer.com/MoonLakeMap

The printable version is the only one with a few trails on it. There are two good routes, the easiest trail is Big Blue from the Nature center to the front of the park area. The only problem with this is there is no simple way of making this into a real easy loop other than turn around and backtrack or take the park main road back.

The longer but still relatively easy route would be taking Nature's Way out to where it turns into a service road. There will be a picnic table out here at the Deacon area. You can always turn right here for a bailout route that leads through the park maintenance area back to the front area of the park. If you keep going on the service road straight there are eventually two right turns the first the Skinny trail that can take you down to the Marina and you can circle the lake and get back to the front of the park. Or the "Stone Steps" turn will take you up where you can catch T-Rex 2 which is fairly easy through most of it and a lot of fun. It dumps you out into the campground and you can catch Screamer for a nice downhill bit, but if you go down Screamer you will have to go back up something for sure.

On that map the "Inner Loop" trails are ones that should be beginner friendly. Peek-A-Boo, Burt's, Moto,The Dark, Buddy's, and 5 Tree are certainly a step up from the inner loops trails. The rest to are either technical or include enough climbing to be tough. 5 Tree counter clockwise probably fits into the tougher category too.

If you want a tour guide or a group ride where you can learn the trails from a person, Wednesday nights there are always groups going out with a variety of different riders. Or I could break out the unicycle and show you around on weekend or evening. Oh and have fun out there.

mtbr member
    Chriffer - That is very cool you took the time to layout a map. Next time I am up that way, I have to check this place out. Thanks in advance.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

Chilling out
    Chriffer, thanks for the maps, going to come in real handy now that I "live" at Moon Lake (for a couple weeks anyway).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Thanks Chriffer for the map and detailed explanation (more)

The map will be a great help and helped to make my gf more confident. We will try out the easier trail this weekend. I am assuming that Big Blue runs into Nature's Way via Thorny Hollow but what does the divided green line stand for on the color coded map? I'm assuming that Rock Waterfall and Thorny Hollow are more technical? From the map it looks as if we will drive right past Big Blue on the left if we drive thru the park entrance.
    Thanks, it looks like a lot of fun!

mtbr member
    nepanite,

rock waterfall is literally only about 10-15 feet in length and can be walked if needed with a nice smooth, and twisty section afterward
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nepanite
    The map will be a great help and helped to make my gf more confident. We will try out the easier trail this weekend. I am assuming that Big Blue runs into Nature's Way via Thorny Hollow but what does the divided green line stand for on the color coded map? I'm assuming that Rock Waterfall and Thorny Hollow are more technical? From the map it looks as if we will drive right past Big Blue on the left if we drive thru the park entrance.
    Thanks, it looks like a lot of fun!
    Big Blue is used as a name for the basic loop as well as that trail by the Nature Center. Thorny Hollow and Rock Waterfall are something a beginner would need to avoid completly. They are short with one tricky parts each that can easily be walked in few seconds. The green connector/dashed lines are across grass fields to connect the trails. They are getting pretty well worn from wheels where you can see them now. Driving up the roads leading into the park from 29 the tough trail 5858 will be above you and you might be able to make out some of the big rock structures it winds it's way through. There is one gate on the end of the access road that lines up with the end of Nature's Way that would give you an idea of how long it is as you go past it.

I should have some time to day to get some real work done on the maps. I've been out in the past week GPSing the recent changes including the extension of T-Rex 1 and 2, the Deacon trail/trials area, and the Watkins trail. I'll hopefully get it to a more readable state with a proper legend and some trail distances. I will put up a version with the aerial imagery behind the map again too. It looks like that would be handy for people to get an idea of the landmarks in the park even though that version is very busy and not much use in the field.

Members who have read this thread: 0