Michaux Trip- 2 Full days? Other options?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Michaux Trip- 2 Full days? Other options?

People- Need some Michaux Help.

We typically do a 2-3 day trip every year to a destination and have been to a few places. Slatyfork WV, State College a bunch of times, Fruita/Moab, Kingdom....and were needing to plan a shorter trip this year. Everyone lives in Philadelphia area and will be driving.

Is Michaux worth a destination stay like this? I know theres a ton of trail up there. I went for a day and loved it but dont know it well by any means.

Lodging options for 7-8? Cabin/house rental, hotel, camping?

If not Michaux- where would your 2-3 day trip be to? Chime in please. were trying to limit drive time to 4-6 hours MAX.

THANKS!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    new to mtb, but live about 10 miles from Michaux. There are some great trails around the area, but you are going to be pretty much car camping if you want to stay in the park.....good news the camp sites are huge and free, you just have to allow enough time for the gate key to be mailed to you. There a bunch of locals with cabins you can probably hit up for a rental for a few days as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Another option would be Raystown Lake. Well marked and enough for 2 days.

Raystown: Fast and flowy, great maps, hard to get lost, longer drive to get there
    Michaux: Easy to get lost, technical and rocky, depends who is in your group but some might not enjoy it. GPS maps would be helpful.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Check out Virginia. When you are driving to WV you pass by some great riding, most of which is not far from 81.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    mikemaster- thanks. we hit raystown on way to state college. we like the latter of what you described. personally- im not a fan of raystown. the crew was split. some liked it others did not. i dont personally see raystown as a destination spot as the variety is lacking and the miles just are not there.

state college with a short trip to raystown is in the running again but were looking for other options a bot more exotic. e.g slatyfork WV was a blast on our last drive drip down south...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    can you make some suggestions for VA? We did slatyfork but are interested to hear more....

What about Davis, WV? I've heard nothing but good things about it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Don't know much about the biking out there, but there is awesome terrain. People do ride Dolly Sods as I have seen chain rash on the trails while hiking, but you are not supposed to. Overall Thomas and Davis is a fantastic area. If you get out there check out Mountain State Brewery, my buddy owns it, and the Purple Fiddle always has good bands, also Hellbenders Burritos and Sirianni's Pizza are two places to grab grub.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I know of a few options:

# 1 Michaux-2.5 hrs from Philly. Get maps off the Michaux Endurance Series and go get lost. Last time I was there, we do have the benefit of a local(I can get you in touch), who showed us a 24 mile long ridge ride that was insane. There's a weeks worth of riding out there too. We always camp at the top of Woodrow rd and camp at that campsite. The trail litterally goes through the campsite with tons of options from there. You just have to register with DCNR but it's free.

#2 Reddish Knob area-there's campsites and easily 3-4 epic rides right there. It's 5 hrs from Philly and just outside Harrisonburg.

#3 Spruce Knob/North Fork/Seneca Rocks WV-5-6 hrs and good camping at Spruce knob. North Fork was one of the most epic rides I've ever done. Just do it!

Now broadcasting from CO
    I think it is. Take durb's option #1.

If durb is the person I think it is, I believe I rode with you guys the last time you were in Michaux. Maybe spring 2010? There's even more new insane stuff since you've been there last.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    if you look up GPS tracks from past michaux endurance races i am sure you can find a couple days worth of riding up there!

i love that place. probably some of my favorite terrain.

if it were me i would load up the GPS with some good routes and go xploring. or see if you can con harlan or tomi into showing you around. ;-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker View Post
    I think it is. Take durb's option #1.

If durb is the person I think it is, I believe I rode with you guys the last time you were in Michaux. Maybe spring 2010? There's even more new insane stuff since you've been there last.
    That may be true. We go up and ride with Brett and Donna at least once a year. We've been in the spring the last several years. Brett took us on a dope 24 mile punishing, yet awesome ridge ride last year. My name is Dustin and we always come up with a crew from Philly. What's your name? Maybe I can remember...

Members who have read this thread: 0