Merli...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Merli...

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Merli...

...super day, T-shirt rid'in in January at da Mer...

... just too much fun, climbed up, rode down, then up, then down, then up...

...cranked Blade, the new Fern is totally awesome! Even managed to find a loop that connected the old trails up top to it. True single track paradise, didn't want to leave!

Busted derailer hanger way down the bottom of the Mer? Let the "Luck of the Irish" reign as John actually had a spare rear derailer mount and we changed it out in 3 minutes and got back to riding! PRICELESS!

Enough words, pics tell the story much better!

ride da Mer...
    ...I do!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Merli...-merli-1-27-12-002_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-004_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-006_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-010_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-012_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-014_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-016_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-018_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-022_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-024_900x900.jpg  

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 01-28-2012 at 04:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Lee I road mosaic mountain today with Dan just awesome

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Some more from the Super Singletrack Sarnoski...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Merli...-merli-1-27-12-001_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-003_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-005_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-007_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-009_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-011_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-015_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-017_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-019_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-1-27-12-021_900x900.jpg  

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 01-28-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Beardman27 View Post
    Lee I road mosaic mountain today with Dan just awesome
    George:

Very exciting, great trails over there at da MMP! John and I were riding/talking at Merli and we mentioned MMP quite a few times!

Good stuff... thanks for the update!

Ride da everything...
    ...always!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    great photos and great riding!!! riding it a t shirt in January.....in carbondale!!! lol can't beat it!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Goodbye deraullier hanger you seved me well!! lol

Merli...-hanger.jpg

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

GEARS SUCK!

Knock on wood, I didn't f mine up yet!... LMAO

Was there any mud on the ride today John?

Ride da Mer...
    ...John does!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just a little bit of mud today lol.
    Gears only suck when you're climbing and you run out of them!!! Lol

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

I can't get Zipline out of my mind, and after helping Gene and crew build Zipline last year I knew it would be good...

... but it really is "Super" the flow is starting to grow, the way we rode today could be the best way to ride that section, only the 3 steep uphills make it tough(not a bad thing) After that it's all really great true singletrack!

Did you ever have ham?

Merli...

Looks like some really great riding!!! Planning on doing a few roadtrips this summer with Roadpirate for some different scenery...hope we can get together and go riding with you at a few different places!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    looks really awesome. ill have to hit it up this summer. i just have no idea where it is.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus_037 View Post
    looks really awesome. ill have to hit it up this summer. i just have no idea where it is.
    Just go ask google maps. ;^)

mtbr member

Nice.....

...Looks like you guys had a great day! Always like pictures of bikes on or near an ice covered pond or lake...i think it is the ability to see things from a totally different perspective....thanks for posting pics. Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Wizard of the Trail
    Lee, in the last set of photos, what trail is that creek crossing at? I rode merli alot, but I haven't been there in awhile. I usually only ride the left side of the park. I haven't rode the other side since it was logged.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Randy:

It's by the (log pile) road up from the boat launch, Gene did a great thing running the trail through there, very scenic area, the pic doesn't show the area, but up from there is really cool waterfall section of the stream!

Ck it out sometime!

Marcus, Merli-Sarnoski county park, Lackawanna county Pa, near Carbondale Pa... Google it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Is this map fairly accurate?

I'm heading up tomorrow morning with a friend, first time there.

As I understand it, a good way to do it is basically attack as many blue trails as possible, right? Looking to hit up as much technical stuff as possible.

Is there a preference as to if we go clockwise on Red or counter-clockwise? Thanks!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Pretty much 3 segments of trails...

... below the lake
    ... by the upper main parking lot
    ... and behind the boat launch

You'll have a tough time finding the downhill location of the Zipline trail as it is new, and the connection is not finished, unless you ride up it, but more fun coming down, explore around you won't be sorry, as all trails are great!

Enjoy your ride...

Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Is this map fairly accurate?

I'm heading up tomorrow morning with a friend, first time there.

As I understand it, a good way to do it is basically attack as many blue trails as possible, right? Looking to hit up as much technical stuff as possible.

Is there a preference as to if we go clockwise on Red or counter-clockwise? Thanks!
    Your link seems to be broken. Here's mine:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17904535/Merli.pdf

The map is quite out of date, but it's the most up to date map I know of. Most of what is now out of date affects the trail network in the lower left of the map. This area was logged a few years ago.

You definitely want to go clockwise around the lake. When you get to the end of "Start Loop" you're going to get frustrated because there's now a horse barn where the trail used to be. You either have to bushwack to hook up with the trail again or find the new link trail (I'm not totally sure where it is.)

As you said, hit every blue trail. Squeezeplay, My Brothers, and Fox Rocks are all awesome. It's kinda easy to blow right past the turn to My Brother's Trail. Don't make this mistake! Exceptions : Skip "HR 280", and just do "Weinie Shortcut." HR 280 is retarded and turns into a hike-a-bike up a cliff. "Blade" could be questionable, it could be VERY muddy.

As I said, the other side of the lake (lower left on the map) is quite a bit different now. This is definitely the lesser of the two sides for trail quality. For a shorter ride, I'll sometimes skip this part of the trail network altogether and bail out right where the red trail comes up and kisses the lake. You may have some trouble with navigation, but definitely work your way over to Porcupine Cliffs if you can, it's pretty cool.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Surprisingly last Saturday...

... Blade wasn't muddy, Zipline was because it is new, the rest was as can be expected to the thawing to be slippy or sloggy in places!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks a lot guys!

jonz, that map you posted was the one that I posted with the bad link, so that's good- I appreciate the writeup too.

Chilling out
    I just got in from Merli, overall the trails are in great shape even the new-stuff that I *think* is what Lee is talking about but I don't really *know* - just don't know the trails *that* well.

While the air temp was modestly above freezing the bulk of the trail was still hard and dry, some of the new stuff had damp track but nothing my weenie Slant-6 tires had a problem with.

If you want to go clockwise and get in it's not too hard, just take the Start Loop around, cross the grass past the basketball court and turn left onto the road.

Don't bother going in the loop towards the horse barn, just continue down the road a bit like you were going to the beach.

About 20 yards or so past the road up to the horse barn there's a large rock on the left off the road, there's trail going up there that dumps you out (after winding a bit hither and thither) on to the Mainline. There's a blue connector that I assume will take you onto Squeezeplay. If you skip past that and take the next right you're on Mainline.

cheers

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Hit the Mer again Saturday...

...joined by John and Owain, rode behind the horse barn, great views of rocks and cliffs as Merli has lots to view! Then down to the rock garden challenge, to the reclaim field. Fun on Blade, followed the old race course, and climbed back out, all in all fun to be out with friends!

Say "hey" to Jared and company who we met on the trails, hope you had a great ride also!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Merli...-merli-2-4-12-001_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-2-4-12-003_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-2-4-12-004_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-2-4-12-005_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-2-4-12-002_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-2-4-12-006_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-2-4-12-007_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-2-4-12-008_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-2-4-12-009_900x900.jpg  

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 02-04-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Stuff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Merli...-merli-2-4-12-010_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-2-4-12-011_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-2-4-12-012_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-2-4-12-013_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-2-4-12-014_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-2-4-12-015_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-2-4-12-016_900x900.jpg  

Merli...-merli-2-4-12-017_900x900.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    We did indeed have a great ride, once you point us back in the right direction!

We ended up going 12 miles, we made a few more goofups, like on HR280 we missed a turn, and it got confusing at the intersections for My Brother's Trail/Fox Rocks (but was still awesome!)

But it got real frustrating down near where Twister starts- our plan intially was to ride Red to Porcupine Rim, but after taking Red past the southern part of the lake we decided to call it a day because we were getting real tired.

However, shortly after where red goes past like a small waterfall down below and you see pink trail markers down there (this is key later), we accidentally end up on Twister. Halfway through Twister, my thigh muscles were starting to cramp, and once we figured out where we were on my GPS we were kinda bummed because we realized we were the opposite way from the car haha. So then we make our way back up to Red, and it gets confusing in the area where the logging was- we couldn't figure out where Red went, so we followed Pink, because we saw fresh tire tracks, and it sort of headed back towards the car- but the funny part was that Pink trail was the very Pink trail that we initally saw when we were up on the ledge above it- so we stopped and pondered how we just pushed ourselves through all that extra trail for nothing (we were beyond tired) and then we trudged ahead.

Finally we came to the road that goes around the lake, and the muscles on the front of my thighs fully gave up about 100 yards before the car ...it was frustrating towards the end but once we got back we were glad we made it through, at least that way we saw most of the system and can better plan a ride next time.

The place is real nice - it kind of reminds me of Blue Mountain in NY, with all the big rocks to ride on. Red gets kind of iffy in places, as if it maybe wasn't initally meant to be a MTB trail but was some other sort of trail, but it was still fun, just some super steep straight-up-the-hill climbs here and there.

And I love that it has that many miles of trails. There are some brilliant little features built into a lot of the blue trails, and some neat stuff on Red too. It was definitely worth a 90 minute drive, I'm going to try to make it up there every other month or so.

Here is our ride, you can see where we got lost here and there lol

Merli-Sarnoski - Mountain biking trip | EveryTrail

Chilling out
    I had someone talking offhand to me about Blue Mtn in NY this weekend, it sounds like a very cool place and must be visited in 2012. ;^)

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Holy F88k...

...nothing like being lost, and out of energy! One savior is the big rotten water filled quad road that goes from the lake down to the reclaim field, if ya can get to that it will take you out but ya gotta climb all the way back to the top, hence why I park at the boat launch, it breaks it up a bit.

I wondered why you didn't just ride with us, we rode around then got back and I still, saw your car and I wondered as I left if you were still riding! Just figured you were having a blast!

I forget what it is like to see Merli from a few or first timer perspective cause I have raced and rode there for many years! It never got old and contains some of the best riding around, it will reward you and beat you up at the same time!

Glad it worked out good though!

Members who have read this thread: 0