McClure,Lewistown area mountain biking.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

McClure,Lewistown area mountain biking.

I am coming out from Colorado to help my parents move from Philly to McClure pa. I should have 2 days later in the week to get some mountain biking in. I need some places to ride. If you only had 2 days in the area whats the best trails to hit?

mtbr member
    Good news is there is a ton of trails near there. Quite hard to choose....
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

smartass
    Can you drive an hour from there? Allegrippis trails at Raystown Lake and Rothrock State Forest in State College would be my choices.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Central mt trail system...Cowbell Hollow Trail!

my church is the woods
    Coopers Gap is your best bet...some of the best riding in PA, imo..Coopers Gap Epic Mountain Bike Trail, Belleville, PA
    Pick up a Purple Lizard map and have fun. Rothrock Trail Map - Purple Lizard Maps

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt View Post
    Can you drive an hour from there? Allegrippis trails at Raystown Lake and Rothrock State Forest in State College would be my choices.
    I can but I would like to ride stuff a little closer. But if its epic then I might have to. I won't have time to hit any of my old spots around philly. So I need some good trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    Coopers Gap is your best bet...some of the best riding in PA, imo..Coopers Gap Epic Mountain Bike Trail, Belleville, PA
    Pick up a Purple Lizard map and have fun. Rothrock Trail Map - Purple Lizard Maps
    Sweet thanks thats the kind of info I was looking for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Also recommend Cooper's Gap area of Rothrock State Forest. Trails are identified and maintained well. Recommend checking out routes on MTB Project website. A Purple Lizard Map would be the best, but you might be able to get by for a single ride with information from the website. If you want route suggestions PM me. Don't know what you ride out west, but seeing as you rode in Philly, you shouldn't be surprised by rocks. Lots of rocks. Cooper's Gap trails have good flow though. Rocky, techy, but carry momentum and they can be fun. Climb the forest roads, take the single track down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider View Post
    Also recommend Cooper's Gap area of Rothrock State Forest. Trails are identified and maintained well. Recommend checking out routes on MTB Project website. A Purple Lizard Map would be the best, but you might be able to get by for a single ride with information from the website. If you want route suggestions PM me. Don't know what you ride out west, but seeing as you rode in Philly, you shouldn't be surprised by rocks. Lots of rocks. Cooper's Gap trails have good flow though. Rocky, techy, but carry momentum and they can be fun. Climb the forest roads, take the single track down.
    Thanks. I don't know if I will have one day or 2 to ride the area yet. And I learned to mountain bike in the Philly area so I know what east cost trails are like. I'm actually really looking forward to getting back tight fun east cost single track. I am going to see If I can get a map when I get there next week. I will be back quite bit with my parents moving there so I want to try and ride as much as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Thanks. I don't know if I will have one day or 2 to ride the area yet. And I learned to mountain bike in the Philly area so I know what east cost trails are like. I'm actually really looking forward to getting back tight fun east cost single track. I am going to see If I can get a map when I get there next week. I will be back quite bit with my parents moving there so I want to try and ride as much as I can.
    Easiest way to get a PL map is on their website: purplelizard.com - $12. Easier than finding a bike shop with one in stock, and they ship fast, you should have plenty of time.