MASuperseries @ French Creek - 4/22/06- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

MASuperseries @ French Creek - 4/22/06

I'm entering my first race at French Creek and am looking for some help. I understand the course will not be posted ahead of time (emailed the race director). I'm going to FC on Good Friday to hopefully get a lay of the land (or should I say rocks). Can anyone tell me which trails the race course has been on in previous years? Where would be a good place to start my ride on Good Friday? Anyone else planning on riding there on Good Friday that is familiar with the trails? By the way, I'll be in the Beginner's class. Any input/advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lampeterbiker
    I'm entering my first race at French Creek and am looking for some help. I understand the course will not be posted ahead of time (emailed the race director). I'm going to FC on Good Friday to hopefully get a lay of the land (or should I say rocks). Can anyone tell me which trails the race course has been on in previous years? Where would be a good place to start my ride on Good Friday? Anyone else planning on riding there on Good Friday that is familiar with the trails? By the way, I'll be in the Beginner's class. Any input/advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I will also be there in the same class. I havenít raced in years so I get to run beginner agen. Best thing I can say is just go ride around it almost doesnít matter ware you park or what trails you take French Creek is ROCKY nothing you can do about it. And when its wet its really not fun. Just take your time if you havenít ridden there before. If you donít have a bash guard on your crank then put one on. The water bars there eat big rings.

Respect Your Trails
    The trails that allow biking in FC are fairly limited anymore, so pick up a map if they have them stocked at the main office, or I know I've found them online in pdf form. It will show you what trails you can and cannot ride on. I just started racing beginner last year, mainly just for the fun and to experience it. I never raced FC but I have to assume they wouldn't open up non riding trails just for the race, so you should be able to get a good idea of the course by just riding what is legal.

I'll see you there this year in the same class. And yea, watch your outer ring if you don't have a bash guard, and keep them pedals up!

Mar 2004
    Not true. A good portion of the course will be on illegal trails (opened just for race day). In the last few years they always race on some illegal trails but this year they are adding a whole new section of non-bike trails.

This is why they are trying to keep the exact race course a secret.

Feb 2006
    I would post that question on the MS Super Series yahoo group, you'll probably get some response there:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/massmatters/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dahoos
    I just started racing beginner last year, mainly just for the fun and to experience it. I never raced FC but I have to assume they wouldn't open up non riding trails just for the race, so you should be able to get a good idea of the course by just riding what is legal.

I'll see you there this year in the same class. And yea, watch your outer ring if you don't have a bash guard, and keep them pedals up!
    If you been racing since last year you should not be in beginner.

Aug 2005
    I, too, am going to be entering my first race that weekend so it should be fun, after all that's why I'm going!! I've heard about the rocky condition but hey, give it a shot. I'll be in the beginner, veterans II cat, so a camelback full of Geritol!!

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853
    Well isn't that dependent on how well he has done.

I just moved up from Texas. I've raced a lot of places, and I think it is universally understood that beginner racer is not a beginner rider, and upgrading classes is dictated either by a) rules specifiying a maximum number of placings in the top X spots at qualifying races requiring at least X number of participants b) the whim of the racer who ideally should be sensible about whether or not they are sandbagging.

In the end some people just like to win, and they'll sandbag as much as the rules allow. I got not problem with that. It just means I need to train harder. You don't win races by complaining, and until you are in the Pro class you will always be calling out someone for sandbagging.

Jan 2005
    Oh and BTW I'll be there in the Sport category, and I'm not planning to upgrade to expert until the top 5 results start coming.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by graham
    I would post that question on the MS Super Series yahoo group, you'll probably get some response there:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/massmatters/

Are you saying you don't believe me?

mtbr member
    I just road over thare today. The trails are in good shape if we dont get mutch rain befor the race its going to be good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    When people say rocky, what exactly do you mean? Are we talking major rocks that take lots of technical skill, or little rocks that will give your arms a pump, but your average rider can ride over?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kizmit10
    When people say rocky, what exactly do you mean? Are we talking major rocks that take lots of technical skill, or little rocks that will give your arms a pump, but your average rider can ride over?

Both just have to see what trails they pick and in what direction.

Respect Your Trails
    I see your point....but I'm hardly sandbagging. I only entered one race last year, Sewell NJ. So since FC will only be my 2nd race, I consider that beginner class.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853

That is cool that other trails will be opened just for the race. Look forward to it.

Aug 2004
    I'll be there in beg too. You better be ready suckas! Haha!!!

Anyway past the evil laughs. I rode there two weeks ago and it wasn't nearly as rocky as the stuff out here at RothROCK state park. To tell you the truth i thought it was a very smooth course overall. Much smoother thant he stuff we ride in scranton, back home. Anyway, we aren't getting paid to race, remember that. So just go out and have fun?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dahoos
    I see your point....but I'm hardly sandbagging. I only entered one race last year, Sewell NJ. So since FC will only be my 2nd race, I consider that beginner class.
    Dahoos you are not sandbagging to my point of view. If it is only your second race that you are OK. However the idea others have mentioned that you have to multiple wins or lots of good placings before you upgrade is so wrong. MTB races are not road races where you need to meet rules to go from Cat 5 to 4, 4 to 3 and so on. My concern is where are real beginners supposed to go when you have people racing beginner for three years and so? Often in multi-lap races the winning beginners turn in their 1 lap faster than the lap times of the sports doing two/three and are not far behind the expert/pros doing three/four. That is insane.

I raced Mid Alantic Super Series Sport for two years and was always mid pack. Well finally I got tired of that and moved to expert and and am often faster than mid pack there. Why? There are less dumb riders the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

So, Who wants to ride on Good Friday?

All this talking about the race is making me excited. Anyone up for riding at FC on Good Friday? I've never been there, so it sure would be nice to have someone there familiar with the trails. I was hoping to get there late morning / early afternoon. Can anyone suggest a meeting point? time?

Let's ride and have some fun

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by kizmit10
    French Creek Video: http://tinyurl.com/ldruy

It's older footage from my early days, so take it for what it's worth.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That did give me an idea....thanks

Apr 2006
    I thought the french creek race was yesterday, (saturday) so i went camping up near there so i could ride the trails after the race to have some fun up there. Then i find out the race is next weekend. Boy was i mad, atleast i got to ride the trails.

P.S. I talked to a guy who is friends with the course designer and he said the race is going to be much tougher than prevfious years.
    Last edited by YBB5153; 04-16-2006 at 04:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Where is French Creek? I live in Pittsburgh, and was just wondering how far away it is.

Hoopy Frood

Depending on how fast you drive

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva
    Where is French Creek? I live in Pittsburgh, and was just wondering how far away it is.
    About six hours. It's here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e....37071,0.86792
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

Aug 2005

Weather for Saturday??

Any thoughts from any one racing about weather concerns? I'm on the fence about committing to a wet, cold miserable ride. Also, how much damage will be done to the trails?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i think i will love the misery but i am right there with you on the trail damage. i definitely noramlly wouldn't ride there with the weather predicted this weekend.

but if it helps think of it this way: wether 400 people ride the trails and wreck them or only 399 (with you at home) it probably won't make much overall difference.

hopefully some of the revenues from the race will go to making the trails good again (french creek gets pretty trashed on a regular basis and seems to recover nicely).

but i know EXACTLY how you feel, it's one of the things i used to hate about racing but am now trying to deal with, as i find myself slowly getting more and more into racing

Jan 2005
    I've only done a few races in the mud back in Texas, and judging from the conditions I saw at French Creek, I would actually expect those trails to hold up reasonably well. I'm sure that there will be spots that are totally decimated, but that is a conflict of Mother Nature and 400 riders ready to kick the season off. On the upside, enough diligent trail maintenance can see any trail back to tip top shape. It is just dirt, rocks, and wood after all. Trails up here are a lot rockier then the ones I am used to, so I would presume less mud bog riding versus just a little slick and sloppy.

I actually love riding in the mud. Presuming that you are a responsible trail rider, racing when it rains is one of the few times that you can really tear it up in the mud. Sliding can be a lot of fun, and everyone is in the same boat. Just bring a spare set of clothes with you. Hopefully they have hoses at the end.

Aug 2005
    Yeah, I guess in perspective in regards to sheer numbers, you're right. Now to convince myself to suffer throught the wet and cold. Gotta stop being such a fair weather rider!!

Mar 2004
    The forecast looks bad as far as rain is concerned...

I personally don't enjoy racing in the mud/rain and I can't imagine this being very good for the trails.

95% chance...the mud is going to be bad.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recre...r=4&begDay=112

I hope I'm wrong.

Hoopy Frood
    If you go out there and race on the trails this weekend, do us all a favor and do some trail maintenance to pay it back.

Here's some info and a schedule. Next work day at French Creek is in June.

http://www.patrailhands.org/
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

May 2004
    is there anything i can do to help legalize all those trails? What are some of the concerns?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    is there anything i can do to help legalize all those trails? What are some of the concerns?
    mostly just bunch o stinky mountain bikers going out and tearing them up in the rain/mud....

i dunno, that place has lots of good legal singletrack already open to bikes. would i like to see the orange trail opened, sure... but then i bet it wouldn't be as nice as it is now with all the increased traffic.

they could maybe use some new trials!!! it seems to me there are tons of places in the park where there is zero trial right now hiking or biking that would make for nice areas to expand the riding into..

oh and i am racing sunday, sport singlespeed (hopefully all you fast guys stay home)...

if you wanna say hi, look for the big ugly guy aboard the rigid 29er waltworks singlespeed. i'll probably be huddled under a tarp somewhere with the rest of the clownz from trophy bikes trying to keep warm. judging by how i was riding last night, i'll be fighting someone for DFL!

Aug 2005
    Weather's gonna make it a no-go for me tomorrow! Can't see paying to race in weather I wouldn't ride in. I'll go dodge the rain at the Velodrome flea market and try to find some good deals! Good luck to everyone, race safe and stay as dry as you can!

Members who have read this thread: 0