Mainville Game Lands 58- Mtbr.com

Mainville Game Lands 58

Does anyone ride here? I've tried riding here about 1/2 dozen times this spring. There's some fast singletrack, some seriously gnarly singletrack, generally good stuff. But the trails are really hard to find and I can't seem to to connect them into a decent ride.

BIKE!!
    Nov 2005
    I used to ride there a lot. There are two good loops we used to ride. You had to include some road/rail bed/double track but it was still fun! Depends on where you park?

Okay, I park at the 1st parking lot at the bottom of hill.
    - Take the singletrack behind the gate, which drops into a valley and then is a long gradual ascent up to game commission road
    - Take a left at road, ride a few hundred yards, and then left again onto singletrack
    - This singletrack is a great descent, it turns into an old access road, but rides like singletrack, but dead ends into private property. Cut across the private property and you end up way the heck out on Fischer Run Road, and it's asphalt back to your car.
    - There's another spur that I found off the second singletrack that shoots right and is very gnarly ascent with big rock gardens. (It's a downhill only) But again this dead ends into Private Property
    - There's also the old rail bed back by your car. I haven't tried it because it's very well marked with No Trespassing signs.
    - Is there anything on the opposite side of firetower road??

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz187
    Okay, I park at the 1st parking lot at the bottom of hill.
    - Take the singletrack behind the gate, which drops into a valley and then is a long gradual ascent up to game commission road
    - Take a left at road, ride a few hundred yards, and then left again onto singletrack
    - This singletrack is a great descent, it turns into an old access road, but rides like singletrack, but dead ends into private property. Cut across the private property and you end up way the heck out on Fischer Run Road, and it's asphalt back to your car.
    - There's another spur that I found off the second singletrack that shoots right and is very gnarly ascent with big rock gardens. (It's a downhill only) But again this dead ends into Private Property
    - There's also the old rail bed back by your car. I haven't tried it because it's very well marked with No Trespassing signs.
    - Is there anything on the opposite side of firetower road??
    The 2nd singletrack you mention (ends on private property) is a good ride. I have spoken with the owner of the property and he is OK with mt bikes, horses, and hikers going through-watch out for the chains (ropes, whatever) out near the road to keep people from parking on his property. He is a very cool guy and put up the ropes and no trespassing signs because 4-wheelers were using his property to sneak into the game land property.

The 3rd singletrack is pretty burly and would probably need a DH bike in some sections-I have gone as far as the private property, then turned around-I don't think there is much worth riding there.

The first one you mention is called the Deer path by some of the guys who ride there-that is our favorite. I usually ride up the dirt road, then descend on the deer path-lots of fun. Sometimes we get a few guys together and do shuttle runs there with my bud's truck.

As for the railbed... I believe it is posted property ALONGSIDE the railbed, but the railbed itself is open... not sure on this one, but I have heard you can ride out to near hazleton on that line. I never do it because it sounds boring.

There is one other trail that goes off the main dirt road (firetower rd) to the other side of the game lands and connects with civilization a little closer to catawissa. I forget which one it is, but as you go up the road, it is one of those pull-offs on the right-follow it out and it comes down to the railbed/parking area over there. Never rode that one, but I have done a little hunting near that other parking area. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm gonna go park there and ride that trail backwards and forwards just to find out what is going on over there. If you follow mountain rd from mainville (old iron bridge) to catawissa, you should find the parking area somewhere along there.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Awesome, thanks. I'll have to try that trail that drops down to Mountain Rd, I think I've seen that parking area.

So I moved from Wilkes Barre to Danville a year ago. I still work in WB so I tend to ride WB/ Mt Top after work, but looking for other rides around Bloomsburg/Danville for weekends. I ride Geisinger trails alot, and have started to ride Mainville. I need to check out Roaring Creek.... are there any others that I don't know about?

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz187
    Awesome, thanks. I'll have to try that trail that drops down to Mountain Rd, I think I've seen that parking area.
    I take it back....

There has been a significant amount of logging and what was once a pretty rugged double-track is now a hard-packed gravel logging road. I rode as far as I cared, thinking that maybe the old trail would drop off on the side eventually, but I ran out of patience before I ran out of road...

I went the rest of the way out mt road looking for another parking area, but no luck.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

smell my finger
    Wow, memories, That's where I learned to ride while going to Bloomsburg Univ. , 1991-1996. Used to ride from campus over the bridge at the airport, turn right up the mountain, fly down the other side, cross the bridge at the general store, turn left onto the dirt road that is the old rail bed and then hit that single track at the old tressel foundations. Then I'd ride trail until I came out at Catawissa and then take roads back to campus (RT 11) = 20 + miles. Sorry I can't remember the trails in detail I do recall most of the riding was on the right side of the fire tower road. I've ridden up the fire tower road and I remember some double track off to the right that went down to a stream and up the other side and conected to that single track of the afore mentioned trail.. I remember a trail that ended on that dirt road that goes along the bottom of the mountain where the the general store is on ( there was a mass grave of raod kill at the bottom. Thanks for the memories, when I make a visit again I will ride the trails that taught me how to ride! I've also ridden at the SKI lodge along the river, but those trails basically led down to the RR tracks at the river.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by joemamad
    I've also ridden at the SKI lodge along the river, but those trails basically led down to the RR tracks at the river.
    Yeah, that has all been logged, too. Quite a mess-you wouldn't even recognize it. And two years ago, there was a lot more than just some trails leading down to the RR tracks-some renegade builders (who will remain anonymous) had laid in quite an interesting network of singletrack.

Apr 2009
    We always used to ride it as downhill. Park a car at the lower parking area. Take a truck with all the bikes up to the very top turnaround/parking area. Ride past the gate and out there... somewhere... is a singletrack that cuts to the left. You can follow it all the way down to the lower parking area... it comes out at the gate there. Then send two guys up in the car to get the truck you left at the top

Also, if you ride out the RR grade towards Hazleton, there's an old RR tunnel that's pretty neat. Just past the tunnel, there's a huge gravel wash (pretty fine stuff) that makes for a few good downhill speed runs. Rumor has it, if you keep riding past that a ways there's an old RR trestle, but I've never been out there. Chances are it's been torn down by now.

If you do go out the RR grade, keep an eye out for broken glass. Kids like to party out there, especially around the tunnel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    USP -- I hope you're not claiming credit for the once-wonderful network of singletrack behind the Ski Lodge in Wonderview. If you started riding in 2004, then you missed those trails at their best. Either way, it's a shame about the logging. I think in 10-15 years or so the new logging roads, cut over the old overgrown logging roads I remember as sweet singletrack, should make for some of the best riding in the area. Time will tell.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by rmagda58
    USP -- I hope you're not claiming credit for the once-wonderful network of singletrack behind the Ski Lodge in Wonderview. If you started riding in 2004, then you missed those trails at their best. Either way, it's a shame about the logging. I think in 10-15 years or so the new logging roads, cut over the old overgrown logging roads I remember as sweet singletrack, should make for some of the best riding in the area. Time will tell.
    If you are calling overgrown logging roads and overgrown ski slopes "singletrack", then no, I had nothing to do with that. And I won't claim credit for anything else out there, either... but I can tell you that through the summers of 2005, 2006, and 2007, there was some of the best singletrack I have ever ridden out there-and was never ridden or seen by more than about a dozen people-and most of them could never find their way back. When I say renegade singletrack, I am talking 50% freeride, 50% deerpaths. The logging roads were basically just used for "shuttling" around. It was really incredible... nobody was allowed to skid, there were these ridiculous roller-coaster trails that were basically packed dirt with NO erosion, no braking bumps, almost no rocks... many spots were no wider than your handlebars. It was meticulously maintained. And nearly unknown.

It is all gone now... a logging-area-wasteland... maybe my kids will ride there someday...

Members who have read this thread: 0