Loyalsock State Forest?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Loyalsock State Forest?

Heading up to camp in Loyalsock State Forest beg. of October for a nice 5 day getaway and trying to decide if throwing the bikes in the car is worthwhile. Camping at Masten and it looks like there are abundant trails right out of the camp area. Questions: Are they MB friendly? Hardtails. Any recommended routes?

Thanks,
    Oquipah

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I hiked the Old Logger's Path last year; that's the main route in the area. You wouldn't want to bike it, and I'm pretty sure it's not allowed anyway. However, there are lots and lots of little backwoods roads you could use to cover a lot of ground quickly ... the hiking trail often intersects with them, so you could bike to different sections of trail and then hoof it from there. Definitely check out the falls at Pleasant Run/Yellow Dog Run ... midatlantichikes.com has good info & topos. Really nice area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Btw, there was construction of a bridge going on there real close to Masten, so it might be noisy ... pre-fracking activity, looks like

Mt Biking is definitely not permitted on Old Logger's Path, but it's a great hiking/backpacking trail, and good time of the year to be up there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sweet! Thanks...though not looking forward to frack operations anywhere nearby.

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    There is a good amount of riding there. Ask the same question on the Loyalsock Trailblazers Facebook page.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I did a nice 20 mile loop out of Eagles Mere last year. The trails are pretty wild, not super maintained, but it's pretty scenic with lots of elevation changes. I'm sure the locals know where all the good spots are, etc...

mtbr member
    I've emailed DCNR on this. They said mountain bikes are allowed on all trails in loyalsock forest except Old Loggers path and Loyalsock trail. The maps that I have seen on old threads are basically the Bridle trails and Ski trails. Maps are available at DCNR Website. They did say that no "renegade" trails are allowed and they asked that we yield to horses so not to spook them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    There are a lot of trails in the Loyalsock State Forest to ride but you are not exactly supposed to ride them.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/svvc.imba , there is a map in the photos of a place called Little Bear where we ride a lot, just over the mountain from Masten.