Looking for riding partners in the State College area- Mtbr.com
    3 "fiddy" for short

Looking for riding partners in the State College area

I am looking for some riding partners in the State College area. Any takers??

reebok classics
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka

i live semi close to state college

about 50 miles east

every sunday some old slow ass guys ride in and around hte bald eagle state forest

im pretty much straight up XC and road rider/racer
    i have a hardtail and a single speed

aol= w8iser

peace

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You should look at the dirtragmag.com forums. The SC area is wellrepresented therethere, and there seem to be organized rides. I keep reading about group night rides they do, sounds like lots 'o fun.

mtbr member
    350, talk to frank McGuire at Nittany Wheelworks. He's the central PA IMBA rep and knows a lot of people and i'm sure could find you some ridin' buds. Also check out

www.grizguides.com for cool trail maps

www.nittanywheelworks.com

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailhammerPAstyle
    i live semi close to state college
    Same here, actually, just a few miles away from you in Selinsgrove. Do you go to the Danville group rides? Maybe I know you.

State College has a ton of riders. Also check out the PSU cycling club, they ride pretty often.
    www.clubs.psu.edu/bike/
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    haha, here i am and i must save you poor uninformed souls from some drastic mistakes!

well, i am a bit surprised. mt biking near state college and not one mention of Nittany Mountain Biking Association, www.nittanymba.org shame on you joe!

dirt rag forums will likely consist of the wheelworks boys and get you the same info as contacting the shop, which isn't to say that you won't get good information. they DO know what's up in the area. they don't know much about riding less than light speed or more than 1 gear. ok, so i exaggerate, but there's little about that shop that isn't overly serious to most people. if you're insanely fast or a die hard singlespeeder, i'd send you to them instantly, that's where you'll want to be.

the PSU cycling club is a joke. their mt bike race this past weekend was pathetic and even the event organizers left the event due to poor turnout. one team i know of showed up and after finding out there was no EMT presence headed home. gone are the early 90's and even the more recent days of shippers and broadhead. may they come again.

if you want to ride near state college, go to the NMBA forums and post. guests may post. riders of all abilities are active in the club and we do hold regular group rides. every wednesday at 6PM. those rides meet at the patton twp park due to the shorter days. in summer they are at rothrock state forest, near tussey mt ski resort. other rides are also scheduled throughout the year and non scheduled rides are often posted in the forums.

other regular rides also exist. a group ride is help tuesdays at 5:30 by the bicycle shop and mt nittany wheelworks is starting a winter fixed gear club if singlespeeding isn't loony enough.

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    the PSU cycling club is a joke. their mt bike race this past weekend was pathetic and even the event organizers left the event due to poor turnout. one team i know of showed up and after finding out there was no EMT presence headed home. gone are the early 90's and even the more recent days of shippers and broadhead. may they come again.
    This is very disappointing news. When I was in the club, things were running fairly well, and yes, Jeremy and Jason both did a ton of work as well as many others (Justin comes to mind). Happy memories working the club football concession stand, too. The races were usually well orgranized, too, Blue Knob was always fun. What a shame.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    don, you should lobby for us on capitol hill

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i'd be banned inside an hour and we both know it, but i'm flatterred you ask Joe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Don is prone to exaggeration!

However, checking out www.nittanymba.org is a good start. Wheelworks offers the best variety of ride knowledge in the area, www.mtnittanywheelworks.com. Mountain, road, cyclocross, singlespeed, whatever.

I've been enjoying a singlespeed quite a bit this year, and I'm not fast at all. The current location of the NMBA wednesday night ride is an area that's particularly well suited to singlespeeding.

JG

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ME??? EXAGGERATE???

ah, but you know me too well Jim.

i give credit to Jim, he is correct that there is a diverse rider base supported by wheelworks. but he would surely agree that i would not be able to keep up with anyone actually at the shop. like i said you can get good info there, but i would not suggest agreeing to ride with them unless you're a very strong rider.

and yes the patton twp park is great singlespeeding terrain

and yet another exaggeration:

i remember dwayne riding around campus on that super v of his and never letting both wheels touch the ground. he's like warrick, eating lunch and riding a wheelie at the same time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon

i give credit to Jim, he is correct that there is a diverse rider base supported by wheelworks. but he would surely agree that i would not be able to keep up with anyone actually at the shop. like i said you can get good info there, but i would not suggest agreeing to ride with them unless you're a very strong rider.
    We would certainly agree that you couldn't keep up mostly because:
    1) it would require you to get out of bed before 3pm.
    2) you would have to stop online "wargasm" or whatever it is you play long enough to ride a bike again.

Actually, you really are showing just how out of the loop you are because while Eric has gotten a lot faster, the rest of us have gotten slower. Harry has been rocking 5" travel bikes most of the summer and Jimbo and I are scheming for a couch for next year.

We should have ride maps up on our website soon for Rothrock, but seriously, If you post to NittanyMBA.org forums, there will be probably several offers from very nice folks who would be more than happy to show you around. Several of them might even be known to frequent Wheelworks.
    Its Freezethaw that has the fixed rides, not us. Good folks down there too, you just have to up at 7am to ride with them. Just about when your putting on your jammies, eh Don?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    hey frank, quit loggin in as other people. i had to read tha tpost 3 times, cause i just got up and haven't really figured out anything other than my puppy dog slippers.

anyway, you can say you've gotten slower, and i agree you have, i do hear the rumors and i've seen you more than a few times since the little one came aorund. but you're still all faster than me, and by a large margin.

my bad on the fixed gear thing, jimbo brought it into the shop, so i assumed it was yoiu guys. i'd offer an apology, but it is taking me long enough to post this becaseu i have to stop and wipe away the eye boogers.

as for wargasm, i don't play any online games, i'm too broke. i'm still on doom3 and i've been playing it for 10 months now. almost 11. and i still haven't gotten it finished. but i don't think i've played in a few weeks. i was riding quite a bit, but then something is wrong with my position on the yeti, and every time i ride now i've got to take a week off for my knees to stop hurting. so uintill i get that figured out, it's my new excuse. but don't you worry, it's about to drop below 50 degrees and that will be my standard excuse again.

and do you guys have seperate accounts for all bergman's "friends" or do they all use his?

honestly though the thread has gone a bit off track. i am not trying to knock you guys or anything, so i hope you didn't get that impression. more to send people in suitable directions. i think we can all agree that there's good riding here and good people willing to share it.

besides, i don't like getting ganged up on!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I ride 3-5 times a week in rothrock. If you want to tag along just shoot me a message sometime. Aim: opiesrevenge999. Being the upstanding student i am, i am always willing to skip class to go on a ride. So anytime day or night (well not night, i don't have a light) would be good for me. I'm really hooked on the tussy ridge trail right now.

I just can't find John Wert (sp) path back to my car. So unfortunately i have to ride the one road back to my car. I look everytime i ride, and i just can't seem to find it. I really don't even know if it exsists to tell you the truth.

As for all the shops around state college, yea they are all knowledgeable. Wheelworks....pita because you have to ride there. As opposed to freethaw which is a block away from my apartment. That said, if i can't get it as freezethaw (Chris king stuff mainly) they will just shoot you over to wheelworks.

The nittany mtn biking assoc. I've ridden with them. Slow paced rides. Very casual. Riding times just never meshed for me with them though.

And my last word on state college area biking. The cycling club. Horribly run this year. Almost a joke. I go to the meetings and it is more of a laugh-about than a meeting. No one knows whats going on. Riding? I don't think any of these guys actually ride. They were supposed to have set group rides but they only mentioned them at the first meeting. And from what i understand no one really goes on them. Am i in the club? Of course, stellar deals on stuff. But they really need to work on re-organization. I wanted to do a race or two this year. I asked about it, wanting more information. And i was basically told that they would explain it later. Well it is later, and the season is nearly over. They didn't explain how they are set up, what to do to race, or anything. Its a very closed circuit type of club too. If you don't know whos who, then you are just another name on the list of memebers. And the upper eschelon doesn't really like newcomers from the warm welcome i've recieved. Well enough ragging on them, maybe all the "in" people will graduate and some new people will take over that are a little more in tune with running a club and know whats going on.

Oh back to the point of the post again... i'd love to ride w/ ya. I'm always looking for new people to go with. Since it is hard to find just one person to go with all the time...most people get sick or riding so much

Mediocrity at its best
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    MNBA has Wednesday night club rides if you have a light. As stated earlier, check out their web site and post on their forums. This is probably the best way to hook up with riders with excellent knowledge of the local trails. You don't have to be a member as far as I know and they seem very friendly.

I'm old, slow, and lack any discernable skills. Well, I'm kind of kidding, but if you're more comfortable with a newer rider... I ride mostly in Scotia, but I also occaissionally ride in Rothrock. I like Scotia because it is very convenient to my house and I don't have to drive to ride. If this is more your pace, then reply here or send me a PM. I'd be more than happy to ride.

A few of the posts have focused on the local shops. Personally, I have not had a bad experience at any of the local shops. With that said, my best experiences have been with Wheelworks. So, I recommend them. They shoot straight and do excellent work.
    Imagination is more important than intelligence. - Albert Einstein

3 "fiddy" for short
    Thanks for all the info guys! It will be helpful.

Members who have read this thread: 0