Locust Lake State Park- Mtbr.com
    30 something dad

Locust Lake State Park

Hey there-
    I'm camping at Locust Lake State Park in Pottsvile in a few weekends and it appears there is not much in the way of mountain biking there, but I gotta believe there must be some trails within a short drive in that area. Help?

Thanks!

30 something dad
    Update: Just saw something about a trail network called Burma? Is it as good as it sounds? Looks close to Locust Lake. Anyone have directions?

mtbr member
    theres GREAT riding right from the campground. follow the power lines south of the campground up to the fire roads to the fire tower - the enduro type trails start from there. i'll be camping there the w/e of 6/27-28 and doing a few early morning rides if your up that weekend. theres a map on bikevmb.com and i can give you more detailed directions or a map from the campground to the fire tower
    without hops the world stops

30 something dad
    Sick! I'll be there with my brother and he's just bought his first bike. Are the trails beginner friendly? With maybe a few good techy sections or singletrack for me?

We'll be there the weekend before so we won't be able to hook up but I appreciate the tip! The website for the state park doesn't mention a thing about mtn biking so I assumed there were no trails there.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    the trails themselves are on adjacent private mining co property but i never had or heard of any issues, thats why theres no mention on the state park/camground web/lit. the fire roads are obviously beginner friendly with some good climbs/decents but the trails are rocky/technical - int to advanced. they are old enduro motorcycle trails - very unique.

30 something dad
    Nice. I checked out the website you posted, but couldn't find the map. What's it listed under? Thanks for the tip...this is huge.

mtbr member
    community->photo gallery-> maps

from the campground take the doubletrack along site 212 up to the power line/right then quick left up the fire road climb. this will put you right on the upper left of this map
    http://bikevmb.com/node/941
    go to the fire tower and take the hub cap trail loop clockwise - fun stuff!
    http://bikevmb.com/node/270
    its not marked but your bound by the park, sr1011, the powere lines and the burma road to the west so you really can't get too lost. theres a bunch more stuff west of the burma road too but i haven't explored much over there... have fun and post up a report afterwards!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Wasn't that part of the motorcycle enduro that ran through the town of Mary D?

Or am I thinking of someing else?
    Damn 2 stroke fumes!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    ther is trails galore off the burma above locust lake also not to far a drive at the delano exit off I81 just redicovered miles endless miles of singletrack made by enduros riding at the burma is pretty tech but lots of fun, yes lee burma is mostly all moto trails but they are fast being ruined by quads willing to show people around

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Wasn't that part of the motorcycle enduro that ran through the town of Mary D?

Or am I thinking of someing else?
    Damn 2 stroke fumes!
    Yes, Accesable from the Mary D side of the road, but most of the enduro stuff is above Brockton all the way to St. Clair. There are trails basically all on that ridge that runs from Tamaqua to Frackville. Pretty exstensive, nothing marked. But Good stuff nonetheless. I'll have to draw a map or something and post it up somehow. I'll look into that tonight at some point.

mtbr member
    hey just a quick FYI, the goeology in that area drains EXCEPTIONALLY well so don't let the recent wet weather dampen you spirits

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbike
    hey just a quick FYI, the goeology in that area drains EXCEPTIONALLY well so don't let the recent wet weather dampen you spirits
    Generally- but beware of puddles that 'look' shallow or you may be in for an unintended bath Also, the 'hubcap' trail tends to become a creek when we've had lots of rain so tread lightly and have fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    wow the burma drains well, i can think of only 2 trails there that drain well
    suppose its were you chose to ride, i was on the other side of the burms last week and man it was wet still rode though and had a great time although my bike is a little mad at me for the mess burma rocks

mtbr member
    so truepatriot did you ever get to check out any of the trails? wecamped at locust lake over the weekend and gave a riding buddy bw a tour of the great flowy rocky singletrack/enduro trails. started with a 4 mile , maybe 700-800 foot (I'll have to check it on a topo edit: i'm off - about 500 ft) fire road climb from the campground lake to the trail head at the fire tower.

funny how the mind remembers what it wants to remember, like the locust lake trails draining well... what does drains exceptionally well and what doesn't...well...doesn't. saturday the hubcap trail was primo with maybe one little puddle but as you descended toward the bottom the atv trails were an impassable muddy mess. i had never been up on the south slope so bw followed me up the loose rocky hike-a-bike up the power line to a decent track on that side to avoid the quagmeier below. after quite a few stream crossings and a wrong turn up a slope that made the infamous dollar hill climb look like 10cents we found our way to the rollercoster section along the reservoir which was also in good shape. this is a really fun flowy section along a mine drainage grown in thick with hemlock and rhodo.

bw making one of the many stream crossing that are usually not much more than a trckle but were flowing fast and deep due to the reent rains

on the climb back out to the fire road the trail had become a flowing stream 2-3 inches deep. bw was either diggin the trail or wondering wtf he had gotten into as our "2 hr or so" loop turned into a 3 hour tour with somes navigational uncertainty at times by the skipper. at one point a dark cloud rolled over and he chirped "you know we've been out here a while, i think its getting dark..." wise ass. great ride tho anyway! total of 16 mi with roughly half fire road, half technical rocky singletrack with some good climbs and descents, and probably another a mile or so of hike-a-bike through the loose steeps and muck.

locust lake is always a great camping trip with the family. the girls had set out for their own cruise

and junior was busy catching dinner

i'd need the protien for day 2, b-dub's tour of bungalow park. bungalow park is an old school mtb race/riding spot that has deteriorated over the years from neglect with the demise of jama bikes and atv abuse. bw is in the thprocess of cleaning up and re-routing some of this and i can see why. another vmb'er had rolled into the campground later saturday and joined us for sunday mornings ride. started off a little rough for me as legs and lungs were retaliating from the riding, paddling and campfire quaffing of the day before but as soon as we hit the good flowy stuff, rollers, and rock launches they felt much better. a few shots from the wall ride, bw showing the high line

kris stylin

and yours truly

about 5 and half mi out and back of really fun stuff - nice work up there by bw reclaiming those trails. flow is great both directions - looking forward to completion of the loop tho and the next one.
    Last edited by mbike; 06-29-2009 at 01:34 PM.

mtbr member

Locust Lake/Tamaqua Bungalow...

An excellent adventure this weekend Locust Lake was sort of an epic experience on Saturday with a ton of different conditions, some awesome , some pretty darn gnarly and alot of miles. Overall, a ride that tested "man and machine" and well worth the trip! Sunday's rip around the Tamaqua Bungalow trails was alot shorter and a not as "intense" compared to Saturday's trek, but still offered a great workout and some cool singletrack . Nice write-up and pics Mike. Thanks for the LL tour on Sunday and thanks to you & kkies for comin' along for a tour of the Bungalow Sunday morning.

BW

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Re: Locust Lake State Park in Pottsville

I read an older post about riding. I've run and ridden some of the trails there. A buddy showed me a hidden waterfall a few miles south of the lake, I could never find it again. It wasn't huge, but might have been 10 feet or so high and was a fabulous cold treat in the middle of a hard bike ride. Anyone care to share a GPS coordinate?

mtbr member
    anyone ridden there lately? headed up this weeekend for some camping and riding

Members who have read this thread: 3