Locations for camping- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Locations for camping

Hi...I'm planning a riding trip and looking for some information on possible camping areas. We'll be in the Rothrock area and we're also looking to hit Blue Knob, Bald Eagle and Laurel Mountain. I guess we'd ideally like to find a place to stay that's located pretty near to each ride.

So far, it looks like Greenwood Furnace will be the camp area we will use for the time near Rothrock. (Unless there's somewhere better?)

Is there any decent camping available in (or near) the other areas that people would recommend?

Thanks!

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    Greenwood is you best bet for Rothrock unless you want really primitive camping, then Penn Roosevelt would work for ya. As for Bald Eagle depends on what area you want to ride, but I would suspect the stuff around RB Winter, and I would just camp there, although I have not personally camped there. I would also just camp at Blue Knob, nice campground, right in the middle of the trial network more or less. I would probably just stay at Blue knob and drive to Laurel mtn for the day of riding there, not sure exactly how far it would be, but not too bad and I don't know of any good camping right there.

mtbr member
    Fantastic, thanks!

mtbr member
    you can camp at Laurel Mountain. you can either do some primitive style camping at Laurel or go right down to Linn Runn St Park (Laurel and Linn Runn are basically the same area) and rent a cabin. check the DCNR site for camping rates.

If you ride Laurel Mountain your only a stones throw away from Hidden Valley and 7 Springs. There is a lot to ride in the Laurel Mtn area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    If you ride Laurel Mountain your only a stones throw away from Hidden Valley and 7 Springs. There is a lot to ride in the Laurel Mtn area.
    Seeing as you sound pretty familiar with that area, maybe you'd be a good person to ask about possible route recommendations in those areas?

I've really enjoyed some of the ridgetop rides in Rothrock, and the slabby rock gardens at Blue Knob were great fun too. I had heard that Linn/Laurel/7 Springs had some stuff along those lines...can you confirm?

Any highlight trails you could recommend with intricate technical sections would be very appreciated, or if you could outline a loop (of any size) along with a preferable funnest riding direction that would be great! Anything that is singletrack whether flowy, scenic or fast is great, but the more technically difficult probably the better for us!

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    this has a map and a ride description of the stuff up on top of laurel mtn, the traditional thing to ride. not a ton of elevation change, but great techy riding, even more so than rothrock and blue knob, but not crazy. if you like rothrock and blue knob, you'll love this stuff on Laurel mtn. Im not the one to personally talk to, ive only ridden there a few times on LHORBA group rides, but sounds like InvictaS1 could be. Sounds like you may have things dialed in for Rothrock but if you want any ride ideas, just let me know. You might also consider doing some riding up in Moshanon State Forest around Black Moshanon State Park, theres some good techy riding there as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am local to the area so I will take a stab at helping you with you laurel mountain questions.

1. I don't believe there is any actual campsites in the park, but you still have a couple of options. Rent a cabin, or they have lean-to's (spelling?) for the laurel highlands trail, which you cant ride on, but for the most part there are dirt roads that lead to them which you can ride in on. I would ask a ranger if you can access them via bike as I am not positive about this, but I think it is possible. That and it is only around $5 to stay in the lean-to's. Your third option and you would have to check on this to, but I believe you can tent camp along any trail in the park as long as you are like 50 feet from the trail, and 25 feet from water source.

2. Here are the trails I have experience with: The laurel summit, and spruce run trails for the most part are semi fast xc with technical rock gardens throughout.They are mostly flat, with some minor climbs here and there. If you look at a map, I park at the beam rocks run trail parking area which connects to these two trails. Both of these trails cross the road and there are trails on the other side of the road that loop back or you can take the dirt road. Est. time is around an 1 - 2 hrs. Another good trails is the quarry trails. This had pretty steep climbs and descents and does loop back eventually. I haven't actually done the whole trail so I dont want to tell you to do it one way, when another way may be better. I am a new rider, but i find all the trails listed to be fairly challenging and fun I have been riding there about twice or more a week, and I cant get enough!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmba guy
    Sounds like you may have things dialed in for Rothrock but if you want any ride ideas, just let me know.
    Actually, I could use a couple of suggestions, thanks for the offer! Can you recommend a singletrack trail route to get from Shingletown to Tussy? The most direct route on the map is Longberger...but a couple of weeks ago I saw a bike closure. I don't know if I just didn't notice the sign with leaves on the trees, or if that's recent/temporary, or what. Anyhow, what's another decent riding route in? Or would it be better to start from a different trailhead for a Tussy ride?

I also haven't checked out anything further south, like say in the Greenwood Furnace area. What are some of the classics there? Anything in the must-do list? We're probably limited to about 1/2 or 1 day in that area...so I guess we're looking for some highlights...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan26
    I am local to the area so I will take a stab at helping you with you laurel mountain questions.
    Thanks TF26...will note those ones!

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    lonberger is open, you must have seen an old trail closure from when they were logging a couple years ago. So, if you want to start n finish in shingletown, thats not a problem. We normally start from the Forest Service trailhead parking lot on Bear Meadows road, a half mile or so past the ski area. lots more parking etc. We take laurel run road up to three bridges and start from there, do lonberger, upper lonberger to n meadows road, then Tuxedo to the old ridge trail, to the extention then up thickhead mtn road to john wert trail. at that point you can come back down lonberger or head up north meadows, across gettis and over to wildcat gap, then up laurel run road then down old laurel run road trail. thats a pretty long ride.
    As far as Greenwood goes, two choices, either ride right from the campground and head up rag hollow road then up Sassafrass, thats a total of about 1000 feet of climbing over 2 plus miles, not huge but takes some time and energy. The other option for the most/best riding in my opinion would be to drive into coopers gap and do a loop from in there. download the maps from our site, www.nittanymba.org, it has the most upto date maps, although they are even missing a few trails. If you will be using a GPS I can send you track info. drop me a pm with your email and i can send you more stuff

Feb 2007
    the last time i rode in bald eagle we rode thru this campground that had these dug out shelters in the ground w/dirt roofs . they were right on this mountain stream with fire pits and all ... very cool . i think it was called poe paddy ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Laurel mt

Check out the LHORBA website for a very nice loop to do at Laurel Mountain. It is the ride we typically do and is usually approx 18-20 miles. www.LHORBA.org
    Has everything you need to know. Look under "places to ride" and go from there.

Best trails for technical riding/rocks: Wolfs rocks, Black Bear, Rocky Gap, parts of Silvermine,Outcrop, and Fish Run.

Spruce run, summit are less technical but still awesome.

Quarry and Powdermill are dirt roads-avoid if you like singletrack.

Pick up a trail map at a kiosk. also at http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...lhighlands.pdf

Camping is allowed just about anywhere in stateforest, but there is a little camping spot on the JE Miller road(pull off on right) that puts you right in the middle of the trail system.

The riding is awesome if you like rocks.

John

mtbr member

Success!

Hi everyone, and thanks for all the input. We had a great trip.

My buddy put a post up here with more details:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=514949

Many thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0