Lift assisted rides in PA- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lift assisted rides in PA

Morning,

Looking for any feedback from anyone who has done Blue Mountain or Seven Springs lift assisted rides (or anywhere else that's a reasonable drive from Philly).

Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I don't have the necessary size cojones but I have friends who ride Blue on the reg, they are super good and generally speak very highly about the place. Here's a video from the other day of a newer section of Blue:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Never been to Seven Springs. Blue is pretty fun. Launch Bike Park is fun if you're looking for something close by. Not as big as the others, but they're constantly working on adding new stuff and changing the trails. Definitely worth a trip one day

mtbr member
    I've only been to Launch so far as I just started riding DH. I had a great time. Chill place and they were all very helpful. Lines were really fun too.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, wheres Launch ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What type of bikes are you guys taking down these. Really wanna ride Blue as its only within 25 minutes from me and never felt like renting a bike.

Guessing Im needing at least an All Mountain but whats the least travel inch bikes some of you are riding there

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've rode it for the first time last week with my stumpjumper 29 - F-140mm/R-130mm.
    It was also my first time to ride in a bike park.
    It's doable and I had fun, did not have too many scary moments except tables at Ewok Village which I had no idea how to land lol.
    I did not do the rock drop-in to OCS, and only rode the smallest progression drop. I think I could have made the middle if I had bigger balls.
    I want to try it with a proper DH bike next time though.

Chilling out
    I've ridden Launch a couple times, Blue a "lot", never been to 7 Springs.

While not in PA if you're considering going as far as 7 Springs then both Mountain Creek in Vernon NJ and Plattekill in Roxbury NY should be considered.

My take...

Launch is a small hill with a lot of heart and continuing evolution and support. The trails are suitable for any mid-travel bike and up, depending upon how good a rider you are. More travel == more error margin, and some areas on some trails I wouldn't touch without a DH bike. You DO want something agile here though, it's not a wide-full-open speed place, but a techie haven. The lift here is a PITA if you ask me, it's not a HUGE deal to carry your bike on your lap but it isn't as convenient as other places. No food/drink services.

Blue is larger than Launch by a fair shake, with a bunch more miles of trail. A good mess of solid "East Coast DH" - natural, rocky, steep, and off camber. Some and growing free-ride type stuff (search for video on the new trail Empire), jump-park type area (Ewok Village), a mess of mid-severity DH trail and a smattering of wide-full-open area. More convenient lift, but not the fastest one in the world. Easy to get a sunburn from the collective time on the lift. Good mid-slope restaurant with decent food and drink. Enough of the trails can be ridden with a small FS bike safely to make it worth the trip but you should IMO really watch your speed as bikes w/o 8" brakes can find themselves pushing heat-fade pretty easily.

Mountain Creek has a big variety of trail, well supported free-ride style (e.g. fewer rocks, more table-tops) lines and a bunch of steep and rocky. Feels larger than Blue but I'm not sure it's from elevation. I would not bother without a DH bike on the natural DH lines but the freeride should be okay. Good food joint at the bottom.

Platty - steep and loose. Bigger and more trail than any of the above. First place I used full-hand on the brake levers since I got disc brakes. Last time I was there (over a year ago) I would say it's overwhelmingly DH oriented ... but there are some massive features on the hill. Road gaps, Landing Deck rock drop-off, etc.

If you want to dabble in DH then I'd advise getting the mtbparks.com pass *next* year and sampling a bunch of places, OR getting a season pass to Blue to get accustomed to things and hit other places now and then.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

What bear said is all pretty spot-on. What kind of experience are you looking for? I've ridden blue on a hard tail, it's doable, but kinda sucks. Some of the trails up there I prefer my 160mm trail bike, some of the more dh oriented trails I definitely prefer being on my dh bike, but you could definitely ride the place on a 140mm bike pretty comfortably. You'd just have to watch your speed on miles of smiles, formula, moto and ocs, as they've all got a pretty hearty helping of big, pointy rocks that the 200mm of travel on a dh sled helps to absorb a bit better than your average trail bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'll likely just rent a bike up there because all I have is hard tails, I've only done lift assisted once in the past up in Michigan and I bit off a bit more than I could chew and broke a rib, but like they say if you fall off a horse,,,,

mtbr member
    I'd be willing to go to Blue if you want someone to go with. I've never gone there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Go to launch first. It's small and cheap. then go to Blue, then go to Mtn Creek. All three are great for different reasons. Be warned that you will likely get hooked and be looking for a DH bike soon. MTBParks.com has a great write up of launch found here: MTBparks Resort Report | Launch Bike Park, PA

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    Go to launch first. It's small and cheap. then go to Blue, then go to Mtn Creek. All three are great for different reasons. Be warned that you will likely get hooked and be looking for a DH bike soon. MTBParks.com has a great write up of launch found here: MTBparks Resort Report | Launch Bike Park, PA
    I'd have to disagree. While launch is fun, there's nothing there that I'd really consider to be easy, or a good intro to dh. Also, the whole operation is just easier at blue. They've got trails that someone comfortable on intermediate to advanced xc trails could easily ride on a dh bike, and they've got a pretty good deal for the whole package of bike, armor, and a lift ticket. That might also come with a run or two with one of their guides, not sure about that though. The scene at launch is awesome, and I like riding there, I just think someone relatively new to dh would have a better experience at blue due to a variety of factors.

Also, launch's chairlift situation sucks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by justo8484 View Post
    I'd have to disagree. While launch is fun, there's nothing there that I'd really consider to be easy, or a good intro to dh. Also, the whole operation is just easier at blue. They've got trails that someone comfortable on intermediate to advanced xc trails could easily ride on a dh bike, and they've got a pretty good deal for the whole package of bike, armor, and a lift ticket. That might also come with a run or two with one of their guides, not sure about that though. The scene at launch is awesome, and I like riding there, I just think someone relatively new to dh would have a better experience at blue due to a variety of factors.

Pretty sure it was 99 last time I looked for the bike and lift ticket, unsure on anything else. Would love to ride a dual crown DH bike but want to save for an AM so I can just take my own bike.

Not sure how that deal stacks up to other surrounding mountains in and outside of the area.

mtbr member
    I'll PM you, might be around 3rd weekend in September before I'm open,

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by justo8484 View Post

I never said anywhere that Launch was easy, just that its cheap, and obviously it's the closest. If you are used to east coast rocks, then riding at launch is not necessarily difficult since there are ride-arounds for all the big features. Also you can easily find guides there. I'm not saying Blue is inferior, I like it better. Just if you're coming from Philly, then Launch is an easy half-day trip.

mtbr member
    Launch really made me into a better rider. Local trail became much easier after I rode Launch.

mtbr member
    Launch is techy, twisty, rocky. I find that a more flickable, smaller bike is better there cause it's pretty tight. it's def challenging and unforgiving. that said, I've seen chubby adolescents on hardtails riding and having a great time. the lift is fast, kinda shakey and a little scary until you get used to it. of the 3, it's the smallest, has the most features per trail, and is def the friendliest. in the fall there's usually a lot cool ghosts, monsters, etc scattered throughout for their Halloween haunted trail thing. it's kinda surreal to clear a section and run into a zombie. the parking lot & lift line are a lot of fun. it's got an awesome vibe and you can tell that everyone working there loves the trails, are constantly trying to make them better.

of the 3, blue has the longest and highest # of trails. I only rode there once and my face actually hurt from smiling so hard for so long. nice lifts. some of the trails needed TLC, but it was still a blast. flows better, but way less tech than Launch. rockier, not as fast as Springs.

7 Springs has nice lifts. it's flowier & faster than the other 2. lots of berms and table tops. there's a buncha free ride features & some great gaps/drops. the mid tier rock gardens at Launch are tougher than the hardest ones at Launch. park at the top of the mtn.
    “Life is hard; it’s harder if you’re stupid.”-John Wayne

mtbr member
    Here's some video I shot at Seven Springs - should give you a general idea of the type of terrain there.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cMcbw7CI2vQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Check out my You Tube Channel