Lehigh Valley Velodrome Flea Market- Mtbr.com
    Rob Munro

Lehigh Valley Velodrome Flea Market

A few questions...

has anyone gone in the past? A group of us from Central NJ are making the trip on 10/1 to check out the deals.

since it's about a 2 hour drive, I was hoping to get in some riding while we're out there. I've heard great things about the Lehigh Valley area, especially near the college? I have no idea where the Velodrome is in proximity to good freeride/xc trails in the area. Can anyone make a suggestion?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Munro
    A few questions...

has anyone gone in the past? A group of us from Central NJ are making the trip on 10/1 to check out the deals.
    I've gone for the past several years. You won't be dissappointed. Get there in the morning, don't wait until noon time, all the good stuff will be gone.

What I remember is, when you first walk in, there's always this LBS from ??? selling name-brand inner tubes three for five dollars. I always stock up and get six of them, which lasts me for a year.

Someone else will need to comment on the trails near the college, but Jim Thorpe is about a 30 minute drive north from there.
    Last edited by XCoalMiner; 09-07-2005 at 08:53 PM.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Munro
    A few questions...

since it's about a 2 hour drive, I was hoping to get in some riding while we're out there. I've heard great things about the Lehigh Valley area, especially near the college? I have no idea where the Velodrome is in proximity to good freeride/xc trails in the area. Can anyone make a suggestion?
    Yeah...what XCoalminer wrote. Go early, and if it's super-low prices you're after, go to the velodrome 'infield' first and do a lap to see what's there. The bigger booths or whatever outside of the track area seem to be shops looking to move NOS items. The prices are still great, but there's a bigger selection inside.

As for riding, the trails at Lehigh U are hard to beat but, unfortunately for you, they're also pretty hard to locate and even more difficult to follow if you have no idea where you are going.

Same for South Mountain in Emmaus, more or less. Unless somebody volunteers to show you around, you might as well forget it.

Blue Marsh Lake is ~ 30 minutes away. (Take 222 S from the v-drome, toward Reading. Follow signs for Reading Airport / PA 183. When you hit 183, turn right (i.e. away from the airport). Take 183 N to Palisades Rd and hang a left. Park at the Stilling Basin Lot and follow the trail signs.) It's definitely NOT "freeriding", but it is 30 miles of XC trails.

Check out Bear Creek, maybe, if Blue Marsh isn't your thing...

http://www.skibearcreek.com/index.cfm

Wish I could go. I'd show you around if I could, but I'll be in Vancouver from 9-28 til 10-5. I know, it sucks to be me!
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    For info about the Emmaus trail, take a look at this website, http://www.bikevmb.com. It's by a club of Mountain Bikers in the Lehigh Valley (Allentown), they seem to know a lot about that trail, and even do a lot of volunteer maintenance on it. Look for their trail alerts to see if it's temporarily closed for some reason, I read about some trespassing issues on private land earlier in the spring.

Also, some more advice on the Flea Market. Stick described it right, LBS tents out front, individuals inside the track. When you get inside the track, if you see something you want, go for it, don't hesitate. If you wait and come back it may be gone, snatched up by another bargain hunter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    How long of a ride were you looking to get?

Im going and would be up for riding with you guys afterwards to show you around if you wanted.

Anyway, Im not the most familar with Lehigh however I could prob get some people more knowledgable to come along.

South mountain I know well, but you can ride just about everything there in about and hr and a half or so.

Those would prob be the two closest things with anything approaching "free ride" terrain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Lehigh is not really a mtb destination- it is university property so they prefer university use- I would suggest checking out the neighboring Salisbury trailsystem- its not freeride, but it is great technical riding and there is a map posted on bikevmb.com

mtbr member
    Is there a web site for the flea market?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stosh
    Is there a web site for the flea market?
    Only a page on Lehigh Valley Velodrome's website, (they're the folks who run it) http://lvvelo.org/fleamarkets.php

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    Only a page on Lehigh Valley Velodrome's website, (they're the folks who run it) https://lvvelo.org/fleamarkets.php

On my way to French Creek a few weeks ago we stumbled apon the Velo Drome, my fiancee and I walked up to it with our mouthes wide open. I couldnt' believe it... and it was there for everybody to use....
    There is also a totally kick butt vintage bike dealer just down the street. He had some great old schwinns to look at.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    On my way to French Creek a few weeks ago we stumbled apon the Velo Drome, my fiancee and I walked up to it with our mouthes wide open. I couldnt' believe it... and it was there for everybody to use....
    There is also a totally kick butt vintage bike dealer just down the street. He had some great old schwinns to look at.
    Not only that, but they have FREE classes you can sign up for. Three times a week for three weeks. They even give you a bike. All at NO cost. It is definitely a different kind of rush riding on that track with a fixed gear as close to the guy/gal in front of you as you dare to get! Coming off those tall corners is a different kind of DH.

Like so many things in life, you gotta try it at least once.

HT

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you ever go past there on a friday night it's very cool to see the actual races they hold. That flea market is more or less marks the end of the season for them, until next spring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    If you ever go past there on a friday night it's very cool to see the actual races they hold. That flea market is more or less marks the end of the season for them, until next spring.

I have tenative plans to make the flea market. I have my fingers crossed!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i am thinking of going up from philly and would also love to meet up with a knowledgable local for a nice ride up there somewhere afterwords!

i really like the sounds of anything other than blue marsh...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have tenative plans to make the flea market. I have my fingers crossed!!!!!
    All I can say it it's well worth it. Bring cash, and be ready to buy without hesitation. People come from several hours away, MD, DC, VA, NY to get their paws on some of the goods there. And it's cool people watching, too, seeing and hearing all the different people, the racers, the messengers, and of course the MTBers.

mtbr member

Always a good time at the spring and fall velodrome flea..

Good people, good stuff, good deals.......good time. Agree with the Xcoalminer..bring cash and be ready to make decisions quick! I have always had good luck selling and buying at the swap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    Good people, good stuff, good deals.......good time. Agree with the Xcoalminer..bring cash and be ready to make decisions quick! I have always had good luck selling and buying at the swap.

Ok you guys have sold me, I'm going!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    i am thinking of going up from philly and would also love to meet up with a knowledgable local for a nice ride up there somewhere afterwords!

i really like the sounds of anything other than blue marsh...
    Since there seem to be a bunch of out of towners coming that want to ride afterwards we should all go together.

I think a good idea may be a trip to Bear Creek after, only about 8 miles away and some awesome singletrack riding. Id have no prob leading everyone there and showing them around.

mtbr member
    I would be down for a ride, it depends on how I end up working things out with my Fiancee' however.

mtbr member

good deals

I gotten some kickin deals on clothing, parts and stuff, but last year I got a leftover new 2003 Specialized Enduro, for $950. I didn't bring the car with a rack, so we had both wheels off and up side down in the back of the WRX. LOL

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I made it there, and a few observations:

Noticeable fewer sellers on the infield grass than past years. The area to the far side is typically almost full, this year lots of open spaces. Maybe the high gas prices, or the additional third flea market in the summer kept the # of participants down.

Some bike shops that usually have a tent were not present. One from Paoli comes to mind, the guy from Oregon selling all clothing on the covered- wooden patio, and a few others I can't think of.

The people selling Bontrager inner tubes at 3 for $5 were there right when you come in, they're like a fixture, and an excellent deal at that.

Victory Brewing had a tent on the infield, with free beer samples, Cheers to that.

Note for future reference: You can your ticket (arm bands) at the window well before 9:00, and then get in the long line, which moves very, very quickly once then open it the gate.

P.S: People watching was still a great part of it. The people who have never been there before, hearing them say "Wow, I'm gonna throw out all my catalogs". The bike messengers with the tattoos and facial piercings, and wierd hats, sunglasses and clothes are always cool to look at, they mingle with the straights here like it's normal. Overhearing their conversations is always interesting. I didn't see as many racers as in past years, maybe they already moved to warmer climates for the winter training season? And of course it wouldn't be the same without a few people who bring their faithful dogs along, who (the dogs that is) get sensory overload sniffing around in the crowded masses, but still have a grand time anyway.

Did anybody pick up anything cool?

mtbr member

Great Show.............except....

Most people I have ever seen there. I have gone to spring 2005, fall 2004, and spring 2004. Got there at 9, and parked in lot across the street, way in back. Looked for a used hardtail for my wife but did not find the one. All E got was 6 tubes for $5 , specialized guy on the infield. Great people watching, lots of us bikers out there. One bummer incident, my LBS had a bike stolen by a brazen thug who walked off while doing a test ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I thought it was just me, but yeah, big crowd but fewer vendors. I'm sure the weather boosted the crowd since it was 80 and sunny, I think it's rained and been 50 the last 3 or 4 years. Not much MTB stuff this year either, lots of rusted junk including a guy that had a 15 ft x 15 ft blue tarp covered with old parts.
    I helped a friend get a pretty good deal on a new Kona. All I bought was a pair of White Industries FX hubs that I don't know what I'm going to do with.
    Always a fun way to spend a Saturday morning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy
    ...lots of rusted junk including a guy that had a 15 ft x 15 ft blue tarp covered with old parts.
    Yea, I saw that. With so many parts neatly sorted, it made me wonder if he strips frames and sells them as scrap steel, but saves the components for events like this. That's why this is so much fun, all the strange stuff you see.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I can't comment on years past but this was a very cool event. I could have spent all day poking through the infield privateers, but thank God my sense of "need" vs. "want" took over. Generally the prices from the LBS area were below the best I've seen online. The vendors seemed to lean toward the masses (makes sense I guess), with a lot of road and XC MTB stuff. It was a little lean on DH/FR, but I still found cool stuff I needed. Seeing the velodrome was fun too. When you pop through the open gate and look around the track it really makes you want to hop on a bike and give it a try. Well worth the 1hr drive and $5 ticket.