lehigh valley?- Mtbr.com

Thread: lehigh valley?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

lehigh valley?

anyone in the lehigh valley area? im just getting into riding. any good places to go?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Welcome!

We're a bit north of ya, if ya ever fly up our way, ride with us!

Great screen name! I have an 84 GT

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    what city are you close to? i have a 2011 GT.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Lots of great riding. Lehigh Valley Cycling Information has a well rounded list of all types of riding and resources in the Lehigh Valley area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

bikevmb...

Quote Originally Posted by mustangGT View Post
    You should check out Home | VMB - Lehigh Valley, PA Mountain Bike Club. That is the local club/forum for the area. As for good places to ride - for just starting out, look up Jordan Creek in Allentown, PA and Jacobsburg in Nazareth/Belfast? Hope that helps a little.

-matt

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    nice, i saw the vmb site. looks great.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

I'm near Wilkes Barre, about an hour from ya, give or take!

2011 GT NICE!

mtbr member
    30 min Nw is hawk mtn. Lots of great riding. Usually Tuesday Thursday and weekends. Shoot me a pm if interested in details.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    anyone in the lehigh valley area? im just getting into riding. any good places to go?
    Consider yourself fortunate.

You're lucky to live in an area with several great spots for mountain biking, and most of them are within 20 minutes of each other by car. A major geological feature in the valley is South Mountain and its got 3 advanced level trail systems on it (SMB, SME and Bear Creek). Lehigh mountain is one mile from it and it has Sals. There is also Jordan park near the LV mall and Jacobsburg in the Northeast corner of the Valley for more beginner friendly riding.

If you just wanna do some rail trail type riding there try the Allentown-to-Easton towpath or the Ironton rail trail.

If there was still a proactive bike club in the area there would probably be another whole new trail system by now but the one you got has Peter Principal-ed unfortunately
    Last edited by Guitarswheelies; 04-11-2012 at 02:36 AM.

new but eager :-)
    Dec 2011
    If you are just starting and need to work on skills, don't go to Sals or Bear Creek!

The suggestions for Jacobsburg and Jordan where good ones. I prefer Jordan, has some nice log overs and rollers and it's hard to get lost! What kind of bike do you have and what kind of riding are you looking for? We do have lots of options around here and a active group of riders.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would suggest you give Trexler Nature Preserve a try. It's very easy but fun terrain. The current loop is about five miles, but you can easily do multiple laps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    thanks guys. i saw a lot of these trails via bikevmb.com. But i like to hear peoples opinions. I have not had a bike in 10 plus years. Im going to order a 19 inch trek marlin from bike line. My gf is also getting a marlin. We were looking for easy to start out. figured a marlin is a good starter bike. can upgrade it or just sell it in a few years and buy a new bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    thanks guys. i saw a lot of these trails via bikevmb.com. But i like to hear peoples opinions. I have not had a bike in 10 plus years. Im going to order a 19 inch trek marlin from bike line. My gf is also getting a marlin. We were looking for easy to start out. figured a marlin is a good starter bike. can upgrade it or just sell it in a few years and buy a new bike.
    Getting slightly off topic, have you demoed some bikes, or that bike in particular, prior to ordering one? If no, you really should.

Rent one for a day or a weekend and go out on the trails you intend to ride. If the shop wants to charge you for the day-long demo, get it in writing that they will apply the demo fee to a purchase (up to say nine months out) if you're so inclined.

As you pointed out, you can upgrade it or sell it. The flip side of this is lots of people are doing the same thing, selling bikes and trading up or whatever. So you can find decent used bikes at used prices, it would be another way to start out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You happen to live in an awesome area that has a great amount of varied trails!

If you're a beginner, start out at Jordan, Jacobsburg, and Nockamixon.

But yeah, in addition to that, you have Salisbury, South Mountain Emmaus, Trexler, and others.

And yes, regarding bikes, do cross shop others before ordering the Marlin. Cutters on south side Bethlehem has Specialized and they have demo bikes (and are super cool), and in addition to Bike Line which carries Trek, Genesis in Easton has Trek and also Cannondale so that way you can test a Cannondale similar to a Marlin. Fitness Central up 309 N has Jamis and Scott. And there's Saucon Valley bikes, and SMC too.

Do nooooooooooooot go to Performance bike in Allentown!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I test drove the marlin twice. As far as bike line, they were super nice and helpful. I went to a few shops. Whats your issue with bike line? Lol **** every shop has its issues if u ask the right person lol. I also rode some gts and other treks. Trek fit me great. Wasnt so hard on my back. I only wanted to spend around 500-600. Marlins seems like aevery great entry level bike.
    Last edited by mustangGT; 04-11-2012 at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I test drove the marlin twice. As far as bike line, they were super nice and helpful. I went to a few shops. Whats your issue with bike line? Lol **** every shop has its issues if u ask the right person lol. I also rode some gts and other treks. Trek fit me great. Wasnt so hard on my back. I only wanted to spend around 500-600. Marlins seems like aevery great entry level bike.
    They are a very good entry level bike. I actually have no issue with Bike Line. Which one are you talking about? My point was more to see if you knew all your options- since you don't know about the local trails all that much, I didn't know if you similarly weren't familiar with the local shops.

Alan at Bethlehem is great, very fair on pricing, the only issue with him is as far as repairs and QBP orders he tends to be rather forgetful. One example, a friend wanted him to order up stuff to convert his Rumblefish to tubeless, and a week went by, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, and then when he lost patience and called, Alan completely forgot to even order the stuff. We had a few instances like that. As long as you keep on him about getting stuff done he's great.

The Allentown Bike Line I've never been to, but this same friend with the Rumblefish goes there regularly and has nothing but good thing to say. The manager there is more MTB oriented too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I went to a bunch of bike shops. I talked to bob on tighman bike line, he told me he rides trails and has been riding for awhile. I had my heart set on a gt at first. He suguested i rode a trek, way more comfortable. Im glad i listened. He just seemed to take a lot of time with me and also helped my gf.

Bob told me about this forum and thethe vmb forum. Its so cool to get so much information. Everyone seems really nice on here. Unlike most car forums lol

Dec 2011
    For your gf - we have a group of beginner women who have been doing skills rides if she would like to join us. Very upbeat and no pressure to keep up with the guys lol. I am hike-run-bike on VMB too. Or PM me and I will send her my Facebook link.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hike-run-bike View Post
    For your gf - we have a group of beginner women who have been doing skills rides if she would like to join us. Very upbeat and no pressure to keep up with the guys lol. I am hike-run-bike on VMB too. Or PM me and I will send her my Facebook link.

thank you.

Dec 2011
    Not in Lehigh County, but just outside of Quakertown.

http://www.bikevmb.com/event/beginne...ide-nockamixon

Ride on!

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    ^ broken link.

Thanks for the info guys, it's incredibly helpful for a beginner like myself to get some good tips on where to go to ride terrain appropriate for my skill level. I just bought a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er last week and I've already ridden the Perkiomen Trail from Green Lane (right near my house) to Schwenksville a few times to get into shape. I have a long way to go but it's already helping.

I'd like to get off the rail trails soon and start doing some decent beginner friendly terrain and eventually work my way up, so I've been researching to find the best spots. Again, great info here, thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
    ^ broken link.
    Looks like specific events in the past will not appear, try this link:
    Rides & Events | VMB - Lehigh Valley, PA Mountain Bike Club

Also, below is a list of all the Mountain Biking groups on meetup in the SE PA area. There are seven different groups to choose from, some are big and active, some are smaller, all encourage new people to join in. If you add one fixed gear group (you don't want this as a beginner) and two women's-only groups you get ten. PMBA (monthly skills clinics) and VMB (regularly scheduled rides) give you two more, and there's also a Road and MTB Meetup group in the Lehigh Valley for a total of 13.

Philadelphia Mountain Biking Meetup (Philadelphia, PA) - Meetup
    South Jersey Singletrack (Somerdale, NJ) - Meetup
    Pennsylvania Mountainbiking (PAM) (Philadelphia, PA) - Meetup
    Ride Bikes! A MTB Group (Levittown, PA) - Meetup
    Bucks County Bicycle Company Mountain Bike Ride Meetup (Levittown, PA) - Meetup
    JORBA CHAPTER - JERSEY ACTION RIDERS (Cherry Hill, NJ) - Meetup
    Central NJ Mountain Biking (Trenton, NJ) - Meetup
    Philadelphia Fixed Gear MTB Group (Philadelphia, PA) - Meetup
    Bucks County Bicycle Company Womens Ride Meetup (Levittown, PA) - Meetup
    Sturdy Girl Cycling Club (Philadelphia, PA) - Meetup

[PMBA] Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association
    Home | VMB - Lehigh Valley, PA Mountain Bike Club

Lehigh Valley Road and Mountain Biking Group (Easton, PA) - Meetup

The group with the most beginner friendly rides is listed first, (Philadelphia Mountain Biking Meetup), and PMBA and JORBA-JAR both have monthly skills clinics and accompanying beginner rides. I'd suggest you try out a few different group rides, find one or two you're comfortable with -- the pace and terrain, the people and the location -- and go from there.

mtbr member
    Since this seems to be the best thread to ask a question about this immediate area...

Are helmets required by any sort of rules/regulations at any of these places?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
    Since this seems to be the best thread to ask a question about this immediate area...

Are helmets required by any sort of rules/regulations at any of these places?
    I'm not answering about any specific location, but on almost all organized group ride they will say helmet required, and will enforce it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Why wouldnt you wear a helmet? I wear mine if im just tearing around in my yard. You're crazy if you choose not to wear one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Figure it this way- if you crack your head open and trails are closed because the lawyers freak out over liability, you're a ******bag and are ruining it for everyone else. Don't be a ******bag.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner View Post
    I'm not answering about any specific location, but on almost all organized group ride they will say helmet required, and will enforce it.
    thanks for the legitimate straight answer.

As for the no helmet comments - It's absolutely ridiculous to wear a helmet while pedaling around the woods at 5-10 mph. Even more ridiculous is the idea that a lid style helmet will offer any substantial protection from a fall off of a two wheeled vehicle with forward momentum. A person does not fall off the bike and instantly turn upside-down into headstand position and skid across the ground in that exact same vertical position. If that were the case, a helmet of that style would be useful. The only thing worth wearing is a full face helmet, since the extra protection offered by those helmets is in areas that are actually affected by falls from a bike. However, I'm not charging down mountains at 30mph and I'm not hitting jumps and flipping upside down, I'm pedaling through the woods at a fairly relaxed pace, making a full face helmet also ridiculous. I'm talking about hanging out in the woods and killing time on a Saturday, not participating in the f-ing X Games.

I choose not to wear a helmet (unless it's required by a rule or regulation that is set by a certain governing body or facility) because I choose not to. That's all that anyone needs to know. By the way - in case of an accident that was my own fault, the only d**chebag thing to do would be to file a lawsuit in the first place, so since that's not going to happen I think I've got that covered.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm in the why would anyone not wear a helmet school of thought, but that is a personal opinion.

I've been riding mtbs off and on since the late 90s, and two things always come to mind when the topic of helmets comes up:

- I heard someone -- associated with the bike industry -- once describe helmets like this: they're as much a pre-paid insurance policy as they are protection for your head and skull.

- strictly my own case: almost all of the spills and falls I've ever had were at slow speed, near the start or very end of a ride, like in the parking lot, at the trailhead, in front of buddies house just idling around killing time. The completely unscientific point on this is serious falls and impacts happen when I least expect them to, I always get cut up or bruised up and the bike comes out of it with a minor scratch. So I always wear a helmet and elbow pads. If it's technical riding I also do knee and shin protection. I can't imagine what some of the cuts, scrapes and injuries would be like if I didn't have this stuff on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Argue all you want about not wearing one- at 5-10mph in the woods when you fall (and you will) and bang your head on a tree or rock (and you will) or if you go OTB (and you will) and the bike lands on your head (which it will) I just hope I don't have to pay for your disability because you didn't think you had anything in your head worth protecting. And if it causes trail closures because it becomes newsworthy, the entire cycling community will be less than pleased with you as well. After 20+ years of riding, I have personally seen helmets save lives, and have had my helmet save my life on several occasions.

mtbr member

Quakertown Area MTB?

Hey guys, just south of the lehigh valley and north of philly. Any good places around here. Did Lake Nocamixon- hiking trails only, and paved path. Also Green Lane Park, good trails, some horse and snowmobile but fun technical stuff. Any other ideas in the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tatt22d View Post
    Hey guys, just south of the lehigh valley and north of philly. Any good places around here. Did Lake Nocamixon- hiking trails only, and paved path. Also Green Lane Park, good trails, some horse and snowmobile but fun technical stuff. Any other ideas in the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    High Rocks?

Wait, did you actually do the mtb trails at Nox?

mtbr member
    At lake nox, bikes are only "permitted" on the paved trails, but i did some of the hiking trails

mtbr member
    oh boy :P
    without hops the world stops

mtbr member
    NOX has dedicated MTB trails now... Way better then those paved paths you've been riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Look into the group rides here:

mtbr member
    Actually just found the map for those MTB trails today. Has anyone every ridden Nox MTB trails, if so which ones are your favorites and where is the best access point?

Dec 2011
    Actually just found the map for those MTB trails today. Has anyone every ridden Nox MTB trails, if so which ones are your favorites and where is the best access point?
    Access is from the new Tower Rd parking lot. You can also access by parking at the Haycock boat launch and biking up 563 over the little bridge. I'm a newb so I stick to cold spot trail, but I heard the others are good. I'll be at the beginners ride Monday night.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Curious if there are any good places to rent real mtn bikes in the area? I am not having any luck finding and rental/demo bikes, that arent townie type bikes. I am going to be in this area for couple weeks for work (can stay anywhere over the weekend) and looking to get some rides in over the weekend.

Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by mfoga View Post
    Curious if there are any good places to rent real mtn bikes in the area? I am not having any luck finding and rental/demo bikes, that arent townie type bikes. I am going to be in this area for couple weeks for work (can stay anywhere over the weekend) and looking to get some rides in over the weekend.
    FC Bike Shop is hosting a Scott Bikes Demo tomorrow at Trexler Nature Preserve if you are local.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by J Ro View Post
    FC Bike Shop is hosting a Scott Bikes Demo tomorrow at Trexler Nature Preserve if you are local.
    Not local at all. Will out there end of June but just trying to figure things out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mfoga View Post
    Saucon Valley Bikes in Hellertown also rents. I think thy are Giant Trance's and they have one EWR as well.

Members who have read this thread: 2