LBS Bike Adjustments- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

LBS Bike Adjustments

Has anyone ever taken a USED bike to a LBS and had an adjustment to get it fitted to them? What can they actually adjust? Is it worth it? I recently bought an older CX bike from my buddy, but I think I'm leaning too far forward and it's causing problems with my sit bones. Is it worth it to take it in and see what they can do? It's $75 for a proper bike fitting. Thanks for any advice!

Chilling out
    If the shop is actually good at real fittings, they should be able to do a fair amount to help you out.

Saddle height, fore-aft, handlebar stem, handlebar, all kinds of adjustments are possible.

Shoot, simply a DIFFERENT saddle could help you out with "sit bone" issues - a wise person once told me that it's important to find the saddle that fits YOUR A** - and it doesn't mean that what someone else likes will work for you. Some cycling shops have saddle "kits" from one or more vendors that have loaner saddles that can be mounted on your bike to try out on a real ride.

It *is* possible that the frame is simply the wrong size for you though, and the LBS should be able to tell. They should still hopefully be able to improve the situation, but 100% solution may or may not be possible if the frame is too off-size.

ps. different cycling shorts/pants, and chamois cream, may or may not also make a difference in your issue.

mtbr member
    A good LBS won't charge you for just telling you the bike is too large/small, the saddle is sitting to far up etc... If you are too far forward try using an offset saddle and try and move the saddle back some, also the stem might be too short. Try tweaking the setup before even taking it to a LBS.

Members who have read this thread: 0