Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail- Mtbr.com
    Submit to your ride!
    Jan 2004

Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail

Everyone is prob. aware, but this trail is posted as closed to mtn. biking.

That being said, has anyone here ever rode it? Any big park service issues? Seems like a nice way to link up several riding areas if you are looking for something of epic proportions...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

I would stay off

Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSlave

That being said, has anyone here ever rode it? Any big park service issues? Seems like a nice way to link up several riding areas if you are looking for something of epic proportions...

Thanks!
    I rode a short section near RT 31 last year not realizing that it was the LHHT. It is only about a 1/2 mile from my home and is an extremely beautiful ,well maintained trail but I would stay off with a bike as this is monitored pretty closely by the hikers who use it and DCNR. Too bad as it would make a rediculously awesome epic ride. I hink it goes about 70 miles-all beautiful singletrack.

A bigger concern is that we may be losing Roaring Run as the DCNR told a friend recently that is has been closed and will be posted soon. I ride these trails a few times a week. Anyone have ant ideas?

mtbr member
    You could always ride the LHHT at night when nobody is around.

My brother used to ride the LHHT pretty often and never got in any trouble, but I have heard of some people getting chased and ticketed by park police. If I was gonna ride the hiking trail I'd stick to the areas well off the beaten path.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSlave

Thanks!
    I'd probably avoid riding it at night, too. I have looked into backpacking it, but they don't allow dogs at the shelters, and camping is only permitted at shelter areas, and they say that rangers conduct checks of the shelter areas every night to make sure everyone is behaving themselves and obeying the rules. That'd mean that there are rangers on the trails at night.