Laurel Highlands- Mtbr.com

Nov 2005

Laurel Highlands

Looking for good intermediate to advanced trails to ride in the Laurel Highlands?
    Even if there are any suggestions on a good loop.
    Taking a four day trip to there. What are the trail conditions like the May?
    What are the distances on some of these trails?

mtbr member
    You'll want to ride Laurel Mountain State Park. Best biking in the SW PA area. You can easily ride all day long and not get bored. Trails range from easy to difficult. I usually start by doing Lippos Loop, then Spruce Run trail, and onto Black Bear then back. You'll definately want to ride Black Bear. Just be prepared to ride on lots and lots of rocks.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...lmountain.aspx
    download the park map it shows all the trails.

Maybe give the guys at Speedgoat a call for more info and current conditions. They will probably be able to give you some good advice.
    http://speedgoat.com/

Nice no rass
    Laurel Mtn is GREAT riding. I like to start at the Laurel Ski Resort lot and ride similar loops to Invicta. Don't come in the park from the Linn Run side.

7 Springs ski resort www.7springs.com also has some good rides the green loop is ~3 miles, the blue loop ~5 and the red loop ~12 miles. Trails are well marked (not as well as Laurel Mtn, but good enough) and you can mix/match the loops. Park at the Tahoe Lodge on top and pick up the trail behind Lake Tahoe to start. Maps are available at the bike rental and if it's been raining, it will be muddy...Laurel Mtn is the best bet for dry terrain even immediately following rains. Very rocky and drains quickly with the exception of areas of Lippos Loop.

Mileage at Laurel:
    Starting at the upper parking (across from the ski area entrance) down mainline to loop trail to lippos loop (do both directions) to towhee across the road and back up summit trail is around 6.5 miles. Continuing down silvermine from the bottom of towhee is another 1.75 where you can come back up black bear which is another 3/4 mile trail. Spruce flats trail is .5 mile and picnic area trail is 3/4 mile to give you some scale for the map. Summit trail's length is 1.7 miles. Spruce run trail (my favorite) is a bit over 2 miles.
    Last edited by Too Rass Goat; 03-19-2006 at 06:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Where are you going to be staying?? There is great singletrack from 7 springs the whole way to laurel mt. Roaring Run has some awesome trails as well.

Nov 2005

Place to stay

Quote Originally Posted by drnich
    Where are you going to be staying?? There is great singletrack from 7 springs the whole way to laurel mt. Roaring Run has some awesome trails as well.
    We are looking for a good clean campground or motel/Inn type thing near Laurel Mountain Area. How far is Seven springs from Laurel Mountain?
    Last edited by Tiess; 03-23-2006 at 09:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Linn Run

Linn Run state park has cabins available for rent. You could bike to the trails. Seven springs about a 30 min or so drive. And that is the back way on dirt roads. Hidden Valley closer, more central with loads of singletrack nearby. Pioneer park is a very nice campground(just off rt 31).

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Linn Run is great way to start ride at LM

Was there a reason you mentioned not to come through Linn Run? We like to park up on Linn Run Road and ride up to top via Fish Run. That way you get a killer downhill on the way back to the car at the end of the day

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Sorry. Didnt mean to confuse. I beleive the Fish run trail is open to bikes.

mtbr member
    If you are gonna be staying in a motel/hotel you should probably get something either Latrobe or Donegal. both Latrobe and Donegal are have plenty of hotel/motels, restaurants, gas stations, ect. You'll still be very close (20min away) to the trails. There are several state parks in the area that offer cabins/camping including Laurel Hill, Linn Run, and Kooser parks.

If you get bored from riding there are plenty of other things to do in the Laurel Highlands. Idlewild Park (amusement park) just outside of Ligonier, minutes from Laurel Mtn. Maybe check out Frank Lloyd Wright's "Fallingwater", its supposed to be pretty cool.

http://www.pioneerparkcampground.com/
    http://www.laurelhighlands.org/

Sep 2005
    You can ride at lin run. Could you tell me some trails? im heading up to ligonere this weekend and ill be staying at rolling rock cc (hate those places but i gotta go with my parents) and i want to ride. Also DONT ride hidden valley, it used to be great but i rode or tried to ride that with my uncle last summer and the trails were closed. They had cut down huge trees all over the place and completely destroyed the biking there. But i would highly suggest riding koosier state park.

Nice no rass
    I was under the assumption that most of Linn Run's trails were closed to mtb'ing (according to the maps) I guess not.

Habit I guess, I come in through the LM side and park at the top by the Nordic Ski Patrol cabin or drive in and park by the picnic grounds on Rector Edie.

Someone posted logging problems at Hidden Valley. From some posts on my ski forum, the Kettler's have raped that property with logging, so the riding may be ruined there. Home owners are pissed to say the least.

Sep 2005
    i posted the thing about the trees in hidden valley. It was the worst hike-a-bike experience i have ever had. Those trails used to be great. I heard that hidden valley was using the land to build more homes up there as they have scrapped there whole mtb program no shops or anything anymore.

Members who have read this thread: 0