Launch bike park to close again...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

No good Launch bike park to close again...

Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Yes it does...

mtbr member
    It really really does.

mtbr member
    Any word if you can still ride there? I would like to go on a 6" bike and just take the service road to the top.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Damn

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'd also be curious to see if they mind if people use the mountain even though it's technically not a bike park anymore. I live a few miles away and can ride the river trail up there. Last year, the trail crew guys had told us that it wasn't really a problem if we rode there during the week when the lifts weren't running. Not sure if they'll be as friendly now since bikes aren't bringing them any money.

mtbr member
    Now this is just something I read on the internet so that into consideration. I read that when ski places do well over the winter they don't open up for bike parks. Some truth?

mtbr member
    I remember doing an XC race there many years ago. Fun place. Blue marsh and Spring mount had a nice downhill finish that some of the others didn't.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

I quit e-MTBR
    Sad. Whole lotta great MTB-volunteer effort gone.

I'm not too surprised. Launch was perfect for the riders doing the work there -- guys with DH skills and DH bikes who lived to huck -- but that's slicing the market mighty thin on the east coast. Hopefully parks like Mountain Creek and Blue -- places that can appeal to a much broader market of riders (skill-wise, gear-wise, and testosterone-wise) than Launch could -- will continue to survive and thrive.

Wish it had worked out. Launch, R.I.P.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Sad!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersedona View Post
    I remember doing an XC race there many years ago. Fun place. Blue marsh and Spring mount had a nice downhill finish that some of the others didn't.
    Word! I remember when it was the season finale of the MASS. I started off not feeling the race that day and dragged until the end. A buddy of mine (older and in sport class) caught up to me on the last climb and asked how much further. I told Jim that at the top of the hill we make the turn and it's downhill to the finish. Jim, who sucks at anything pointing down steeper than a rail-trail, gust inches me out and took the turn first... "Spring Mountain"... Yeah, there's Springs all over that mountain! As Jim headed down to the finish line ahead of me, I stayed about 2 feet behind dragging my brakes and looking for the opportunity to pass. Jim cut left and I thought "A-ha! I can pa... Oh, s+*t!". My front wheel went into a foot deep washed out rut from a spring that had a sharp turn in it. I was thrown OTB and landed on my back. I slid down long enough to come to the realization of what was happening. Then my pack caught a rock or root and I tumbled 3 times I think. All of this within like 3 seconds. I stood up with the finish line about 100 yards away and went to run uphill to get the bike. OMG! The Charlie horse in my quad! I stopped for a second and then limped up to get the bike. I could hear a hissing sound from the front tire, but there was still air to get me to the finish line. I went to throw my leg over it, but it wouldn't move! I squeezed the levers and it seemed ok. I looked down and saw the wheel was bent past the fork! MOTHER! I ran to the finish line with the bike on my shoulder and the loudest cheering I ever heard at the finish line!
    I took the bike to the truck and got changed. As we were waiting for the season awards (2-3hrs) people would be walking by and laughing and say "nice finish!" or pointing and say to their teammates "he's the one I was telling you about! Good job!" Grrrrrr!

It was definitely fun and one of the most memorable experiences in my racing career.

I also remember going through the "toilet bowl" and thinking that it would be awesome to drop in and jump out the other side. The stuff they had in the early 00's was nuts and I didn't get into DH until they closed the first time. I've been wanting to get down there, but I haven't had someone else who dh's to make the trip with.

Hopefully they can reopen somehow and all that work doesn't go to waste. Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

bigger than you.
    The word is, according to Harlan Price & Rob Everitt, is that the trails will remain open and a core group will continue to maintain the trails there, but the lifts will not be running. Perhaps if people continue to ride there, the management might be persuaded to reopen the lifts, but until then, it will be strictly enduro...

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I am aware this is an old post. Does anybody know if you are allowed to ride the trails here or not? I see recent stuff on strava and mtb project, but don't want to ride it if not supposed to.

mtbr member
    I was talking to someone the other day that said the land is still open to ride but they don't know what shape its in. Not sure how much truth is in that though.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    I rode it a bit last year and it was a bit overgrown. Not sure if you are officially allowed but we passed a guy mowing the lawn and he didn't seem to be bothered.

mtbr member
    As far as I know its fine to ride there, just no lift access obviously.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks. It sound like time to do some exploring.

mtbr member
    https://www.bikereg.com/spring-mountain-trail-pass

Hopefully it's not being used for nefarious purposes.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks for link. I guess I'll give it a try, but what's a ne...far...eee...us?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    https://www.bikereg.com/spring-mountain-trail-pass

Hopefully it's not being used for nefarious purposes.

Do you have to register there to ride Spring Mt?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Some friends and I rode there on Sunday. Saw a couple of other riders and a lot of runners and hikers. The xc trails on the left side of the hill were a bit rough, but not terrible. We got turned around several times on them.
    After we made our way to the right side of the mountain we did several laps of the old park trails and climbed the service road.
    We will be back to ride here again this summer/fall. We will likely skip the xc trails and just lap the right side. Drops, rock berms and jumps galore. So much fun, and within an hour of home. Nice change of pace from most of the trails in the philly area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStang View Post
    Do you have to register there to ride Spring Mt?
    I checked Trailforks and it says:

Spring Mountain Ski resorts consists of a ~4 mile very challenging XC/All-mountain loop and several DH specific trails. A seasonal trail pass is required to ride at Spring Mountain.

A $0 (Free!) pass trail pass is required and can be obtained by registering with this link via Bikereg.com
    2012 S pecialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

2017 SANTA CRUZ Hightower CC X01

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks Hax!

mtbr member
    Just a rumor I heard. I heard that if more than 200 people sign up via Bikereg.com the resort will consider reopening the park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    Just a rumor I heard. I heard that if more than 200 people sign up via Bikereg.com the resort will consider reopening the park.
    Well, in that case, I'll give it a go. It would be awesome if they reopened.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Anyone know who's maintaining the trails these days, I wouldn't mind moving some dirt around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    Up to 68 so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I drive past these trails on the way back from work everyday, but I've never stopped. What's the best way to get up since the lifts aren't running? Is there a trail up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Park in overflow lot. You'll see a couple of runs where the lowest trail feeds into parking lot. To the right of those is a paved road. Take a right where a 8-12 ft wide gap is and connects to another fireroad. Take that fireroad and follow the curve to the right. Goes straight up to the top of the lift that used to run for launch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Awesome info dude. I appreciate it, I'll scope it out after work and hopefully hit them soon. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Bummed I did not see this registration on Bikereg until after it closed as I would have shared it to get people to sign up. I also had a lot of the same questions on the trails here. Spent last summer in Eastern Pennsylvania and Launch was definitely the best place to ride. Was unsure about bringing a shovel up there as I didn't want to get kicked off, but it could be something even more special with a little dirt work and some removal of rotted wooden features. Does anyone know of specified dig days? Would be cool to get in touch with the right group if so and do a dig/ride day. Hate to see this place under-utilized.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    One of the guys on my team is helping head up the trail work that has happened at Spring Mountain. I rode with him around Thanksgiving and he said that the Bikereg sign up was just to gauge interest in the trails. At that point he had met with the Buckman's (owners of the property) a few times and while they said that they didn't currently have any plans to officially re-open the lift access, but that people could still ride the trails. They aren't making any money off mountain biking, so please just be mindful of other events and things they have going on at the mountain. They have haunted hayrides during the fall and obviously ski/snowboarding now that winter is here, plus any other random event that might be going on.

I'm hoping that as long as everyone riding there is respectful and nobody causes any issues, that they will eventually re-open the lift access.

If you want to help out with trailwork days, send me a DM and I'll get you in contact with my buddy who helps organize everything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Have to watch though. There are some features that are flat out not safe any more. steep moss covered skinnies over rocks and broken bridges.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Any info on the trails at Spring this year? Are they open to acces w/out lifts again? Any info on trail work?