Lamb's Gap/Harrisburg Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lamb's Gap/Harrisburg Area

Got in a great ride at Lamb's Gap yesterday with a novice MTB buddy of mine. You'll see a few pics of my new Salsa as well as him and his off brand bike having a blast. There's one of him bonking...LOL! I am not sure we were even on the actual trail but we had a blast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lamb's Gap/Harrisburg Area-photo-dump-2012-001.jpg  

Lamb's Gap/Harrisburg Area-photo-dump-2012-002.jpg  

Lamb's Gap/Harrisburg Area-photo-dump-2012-007.jpg  

Lamb's Gap/Harrisburg Area-photo-dump-2012-008.jpg  

Lamb's Gap/Harrisburg Area-photo-dump-2012-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I remember riding there. I've heard that people are riding up there again but isn't still against the rules?

mtbr member
    The best I could tell, it looks like you just have to pay attention to the signs. The only way to know for sure would be to call the game commission. If we are indeed allowed to ride up there, some trail maintenance might be in order. Now I'm curious, we saw nobody while we were there. Not sure if that is a good sign or a bad one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Biking in state game lands is only allowed on designated trails. I think you will see a green triangle sign with a bike on it. Unless something has changed nothing in Lamb's gap is allowed except for 1/2 mile service road.

mtbr member
    Yeah, we saw the green signs about 1/4 of the way down the fire road on our way back up. I thought I recall seeing something in the Lamb's Gap Trail forum about being able to ride up there again. I think I'm going to check with the Game Commission to get confirmation. It would be a sweet place for me to ride in the evenings after work without going to Michaux.

mtbr member
    According to the game commission website, you are indeed correct. What a bummer! It would be great to change this. With all of the land in the central PA area, more places to ride would be great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah it is a bummer. I know people are riding up there again, but I assume sooner or later it will get more and more used and the Pgc will crack down again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    We rode there MANY times last year with no problems. Just be curtious and respectful of hikers and dont blow out the trail by dragging brakes on descents or corners and I think that we will be left alone. Be swift when loading and offloading bikes so people that are driving by don't call pgc and complain. Or see you and think its legal to ride there, next thing you know, there will be a buttload of d-holes riding there. Then pgc will probobly crack down. Also, stay away during hunting season, I usually ride there on Sundays. Common sense always prevails.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Last edited by scsabol; 01-04-2019 at 12:30 PM.

mtbr member
    or you know...you could respect the land that hunters pay for and NOT ride there. just saying. lots of other places to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I just stressed the fact that the land should be respected. I guess that was over your head though. Plenty of other places to ride? Wrong, unless you like to ride fire roads and pavement, or drive more than an hour away. Hunters are the only ones who pay
    the dues? Wrong again. Oh, almost forgot, I'm a hunter as well......Just saying.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Last edited by scsabol; 01-04-2019 at 12:30 PM.

my church is the woods
    Hunters don't pay for the land. They pay for a fee for the license for the privilege to extract a resource from COMMONWEALTH land. Just like the timber companies, gas and oil lease holders, and other commercial adventures which account for the state game commissions operating revenue, hunters are a managed money stream for this state agency and collect for the deer harvest opportunity. I never heard of fisherman saying they own all the waterways because they have a fishing license, have you?
    About 15 years ago when mountain biking became very popular on state game lands in the southeast PA regions, the PGC held a few dog-and-pony show expo's to show all the damage we were doing to trails, declared mtn biking largely illegal, effective 2003.
    The real reason, as far as I've concluded since then is that the PGC didn't want to manage any unlicensed recreational activities, because they didn't know how, and they weren't required to under their mandate. They aren't like DCNR and have to manage recreation as well as hunting like state forest and parks.
    My opinion and suggestion is that a few critical areas including: Jim Thorpe, Brickerville/Mt. Gretna, and Lambs Gap, be either a pilot program for recreational use allowed by the PGC, or swapped with DCNR and allowed to become a real recreational AND hunting resource for the people of this area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scsabol View Post
    I bet the sale of hunting licenses pays all of the game commissions salaries, operating costs, vehicle upkeep, building maintenance, range maintenance and land maintenance. There is no way the game commission is self-sustaining. In my opinion the gamelands are the tax payers property that hunters are allowed to use. Just as in many other States, gamelands are public property where hunting is permitted. Every tax payer contributes to the land, but are not allowed to use it responsibly?

In most States the hunting lands are shared by everyone. Dirtbikes, snowmobiles, horses... I agree with responsible use of land. Make designated seasons where only hunting is allowed. But to close off the land to every other activity is just ridiculous.

On a positive note the riding at lambs and millers gap is awesome. Ride at your own risk. Trails are smooth and go on forever.

The PGC is completely self sustaining. All state gamelands were/are purchased with hunters dollars and funds from the Pittman-Robertson Act of 1937. Don't get me wrong I would like to see the land used wisely for more recreation, but to say every taxpayer has a stake in that land is completely without merit.
    2016 Transition Patrol
    2018 NukeProof Scout
    2019 Ridley X-Trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macen View Post
    I just stressed the fact that the land should be respected. I guess that was over your head though. Plenty of other places to ride? Wrong, unless you like to ride fire roads and pavement, or drive more than an hour away. Hunters are the only ones who pay
    the dues? Wrong again. Oh, almost forgot, I'm a hunter as well......Just saying.
    State game lands were either donated or paid for by the sale of hunting licenses. If you aren't allowed to ride there, don't. Why take a chance ruining the reputation of mountain biking everywhere?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBurnsie View Post
    The PGC is completely self sustaining. All state gamelands were/are purchased with hunters dollars and funds from the Pittman-Robertson Act of 1937. Don't get me wrong I would like to see the land used wisely for more recreation, but to say every taxpayer has a stake in that land is completely without merit.
    That is what I know as well.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Last edited by scsabol; 01-04-2019 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, no tax dollars? So "state wildlife grants" and "federal wildlife grants" that go to the game commission every year are not tax dollars? If you believe they support themselves you are either crazy or stupid. State and federal money is funneled into the PGC every year.

Figure it out on your own and do your own research. Look up all of the tax dollars that the PGC does get for one reason or another. I am also a fellow hunter. So this is not a dig on the PGC, but rather the dictatorship of the land use.

And think about all of the law making and politics behind this. Elected officials, senators, law makers, they all spend time on PGC issues.

Believe what you want, complain about what you want. I will ride where I want, when I want
    I'm not talking about the entire pgc, just the state game lands. But it seems you know a lot about this topic and must be right. Happy riding wherever you want whenever you want.

mtbr member
    Yeah, no tax dollars? So "state wildlife grants" and "federal wildlife grants" that go to the game commission every year are not tax dollars? If you believe they support themselves you are either crazy or stupid. State and federal money is funneled into the PGC every year.

Figure it out on your own and do your own research. Look up all of the tax dollars that the PGC does get for one reason or another. I am also a fellow hunter. So this is not a dig on the PGC, but rather the dictatorship of the land use.

And think about all of the law making and politics behind this. Elected officials, senators, law makers, they all spend time on PGC issues.

Believe what you want, complain about what you want. I will ride where I want, when I want

Federal money is funneled to the game commission through the, I'll say it again, the Pittman-Robertson act, which by the way is an excise tax on hunting goods. So it's monies not pulled from a general fund. There are no state tax dollars used by the PGC. I'll be stupid until proven otherwise. Please be careful throwing crazy and stupid around, it may come back and kick you in the ass some day.
    Like I said, I would like to see other uses of the land. The money given by Pittman-Robertson may limit what can be done with the land, and I can respect that.
    2016 Transition Patrol
    2018 NukeProof Scout
    2019 Ridley X-Trail

mtbr member
    This topic sparked a lot of good debate! Thanks for all the great information. I'm not too keep into breaking laws on my MTB. If I ride somewhere and there are no signs...that's one thing. When there are clearly signs saying to stay off certain trails...I'll stay off those one's...

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Last edited by scsabol; 01-04-2019 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    I live at the bottom of the BM off of Lambs Gap Rd and I am always up there to check things out and do some hiking - I see people biking up there quite a bit. I've been tempted to head up, but the orange triangles indicating "No Biking" are pretty obvious. I dont wanna piss off anyone and hurt bikers' chances to get more riding areas in the future.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I know what you mean. That's where I've left it up there. There are a few trails that are not marked and you can at least claim ignorance, but when they are clearly marked its hard to have an argument.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I haven't seen the markings. Are these new? I haven't been up there since last summer.

mtbr member
    Nope - I've lived here for 3 years and they've been on the trails at least that long. They are orange triangles with a biker in it and one of those circles with a line thru it. They are usually on a tree at the beginning of the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hmmm, I guess I enter the trail at a point where there are no signs. I will have to keep an eye out though.

mtbr member
    If you found one up there with no sign - thats awesome. Make a note of where it is, snap a picture and post it so I can ride it!

There is one trail on the right about 1/2 way down the back side (Perry County side) of the mountain that doesnt have a sign. This is a decent trail to ride - rocky and a steady climb at the beginning.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think if you don't park at the top.... you may have better luck staying under the radar...
    I think I'll park off Idle Gap road down by the curve....

mtbr member
    These are the signs I was talking about - these are on trees right by the trails. I DID notice, though, that these were only on the trails down to the left end of the landing and the fire road on the right of the landing. The middle trail didnt seem to have anything market..... hmmm.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lamb's Gap/Harrisburg Area-no-biking.jpg  

Lamb's Gap/Harrisburg Area-no-biking2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Problem is that only designated routes are allow. Unless it has a green sign, it is not allowed. I am not telling anyone what they should do. Just putting it out there. It is a joke that the PGC advertise 1000 miles of designated routes in PA., this may be true but it is about 1000 short little trails or roads. Lamb's gap route is a whole 1/2 mile access road.

"DESIGNATED ROUTES for Horses and Bicycles
    For each region, there is a list of designated routes. These route designations, which total more than 1,000 miles, are in compliance with State Game Lands use regulations that went into effect on February 1, 2003. Under the new regulations, anyone who rides a non-motorized vehicle, conveyance or animal on State Game Lands must do so only on designated routes. Such riding activities will not be permitted, except on Sundays or on roads open to public travel, from the last Saturday in September to the third Saturday in January, and after 1 p.m. from the second Saturday in April to the last Saturday in May. This does not apply to anyone lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping or fishing on State Game Lands."
    State Game Lands

mtbr member
    Did I read that right? You CAN ride on Sundays?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    That's what I read...ewoakman, did you post those pics of the epicness that was?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathangeiman View Post
    Did I read that right? You CAN ride on Sundays?

No, it's saying that the designated trails that CAN be ridden, are allowed on Sundays during hunting season, along with public roads.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
    These are the signs I was talking about - these are on trees right by the trails. I DID notice, though, that these were only on the trails down to the left end of the landing and the fire road on the right of the landing. The middle trail didnt seem to have anything market..... hmmm.......
    I think that means you can't jump horses on a mountain bike... ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borborpa View Post
    No, it's saying that the designated trails that CAN be ridden, are allowed on Sundays during hunting season, along with public roads.

Thanks for the clarification. That does make better sense. :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borborpa View Post
    I think that means you can't jump horses on a mountain bike... ;-)

Sweet. I am good then, because there is NO WAY I am bunny hoping my bike over a horse

Members who have read this thread: 0