Is the Lackawanna Cutoff(NJ-PA) still rideable?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Is the Lackawanna Cutoff(NJ-PA) still rideable?

Two of my co-workers have told me that they rode the Lackawanna Cut-Off rail trail that goes from Port Morris trainyard to Slateford Junction in Slateford, Pennsylvania. But that was years ago and things have changed with NJ Transit's plans to revive part of that route.

If I do the trail I will start probably at Netcong Train Station or Port Morris, since it is closest to where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Herald
    Lackawanna Cutoff project may finally be back on track

The Lackawanna Cutoff Restoration Project began in 2011. Since then, approximately 5.25 miles of new railroad track has been placed by New Jersey Transit between Port Morris and the site of a new high-level platform station set to be built in Andover Township on Roseville Road.

I am wondering if it is still rideable in the portion I plan to start at(by Port Morris rail yard) since NJ Transit is restoring service and laying track to Andover?

Also does anyone know where I can find any gpx routes for this Cutoff to use on my Garmin, incase it is needed? Ridewiththegps had none, mapmyride is giving errors currently, and Google turned up nothing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    They laid some track and most of it has fallen apart already. You don't really need a GPS file. It's a straight shot along a gravel railroad bed forever. It's not nice stuff like rail to trails. It's 2" rock, deep and whoops. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    @avc8130:
    When did you last ride/check out it? I ask because at the start point I think the situation could be rapidly changing due to the track being laid. I know the few times I have taken a train to Netcong Station last year I saw lots of track and railroad ties and equipment to install it assembled at Port Morris trainyard.

Would it be unpleasant to ride on a 29" hardtail Cannondale with 2.2" tires?

My co-workers are hardly fit and they said the route was very pleasant and recommended it to me. But I think they rode it some years back, I didn't think to ask when. From my googling the scenery is gorgeous, there is a tunnel, two viaducts, it seems a very scenic ride. Here is a video I found:
    Youtube: Dirt Biking- Lackawanna Cut-Off Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I rode all of the nearby(to the starting point in Port Morris, NJ) Sussex Branch rail trail and most of the nearby Paulinskill rail trail and it was very pleasant riding on a cyclocross with 38 mm tires. On some shorter sections the Sussex Branch had the types of rocks used on railroad ballast and during those segments I wished I had my hardtail mtb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyFokker View Post
    @avc8130:
    When did you last ride/check out it? I ask because at the start point I think the situation could be rapidly changing due to the track being laid. I know the few times I have taken a train to Netcong Station last year I saw lots of track and railroad ties and equipment to install it assembled at Port Morris trainyard.

Would it be unpleasant to ride on a 29" hardtail Cannondale with 2.2" tires?

My co-workers are hardly fit and they said the route was very pleasant and recommended it to me. But I think they rode it some years back, I didn't think to ask when. From my googling the scenery is gorgeous, there is a tunnel, two viaducts, it seems a very scenic ride. Here is a video I found:
    Youtube: Dirt Biking- Lackawanna Cut-Off Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I rode all of the nearby(to the starting point in Port Morris, NJ) Sussex Branch rail trail and most of the nearby Paulinskill rail trail and it was very pleasant riding on a cyclocross with 38 mm tires. On some shorter sections the Sussex Branch had the types of rocks used on railroad ballast and during those segments I wished I had my hardtail mtb.
    It's been a little while since I've been near it. Usually on a dirt bike. On a dirt bike it's not great riding in my opinion. On a MTB it would only be worse, but then again, I can't really "get into" road or rail trail riding. I'd rather spend the day on singletrack. YMMV