Kid friendly trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Kid friendly trails

I'm in Schuylkill county and was curious if anyone knows of any kid friendly trails. I'm looking for something above rail trails but with not much tech. Doesn't need to be singletrack, but something not as flat as rail trail but also not very rocky/rooty. Maybe doesn't even exist. Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    allegrippis would be a great spot! very unique for it's lack of rocks n roots.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Maybe, and I don't know your situation, age, ability, bike, so more or less of a guess but, Swatara state park in better weather would be great, concentric loops so you wouldn't have to go way out. There is the rail trail also right there. Parking leads to both very easy.

Better choice might be Tucarora or Locust Lake state parks. Some trails and close to the parking lots.

You'll have to explore and suit your taste as to what the little one can ride.

The pump track near Allentown, is kid friendly, if you choose to travel in better weather.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I live very close to Locust Lake and we go there often. I'm not sure what trails you are referring to, however. My son will soon be 10. The problem isn't so much his ability it's getting him to try it in the first place. He loves riding, loves rail trails, I just want to get him to try some trails. I want to try getting him on some smaller trails snaking through the woods but without him having to worry about the tech of some of the trails around here. And truth be told, I wouldn't mind riding such trails myself. I was out of cycling so long that I'm not real comfortable on rocks and roots myself right now.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Swatara! but in drier weather.
    PA*DCNR*-*Swatara State Park

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thank you. Definitely waiting for drier/warmer weather

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Your probably close to nockamixon trails. They do a lot of stuff with kids rides etc.

http://www.ridenox.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sdm74 View Post
    Your probably close to nockamixon trails. They do a lot of stuff with kids rides etc.

Lake Nockamixon Mountain Bike Trails - Home
    Absolutely a family-friendly trail system but the state park management does seasonally close it for the winter due to extremely wet conditions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nox is currently closed, and I wouldn't expect it open any time soon. Last winter they opened it up for a few days over the winter when temps were low and the trails were completely frozen hard. No weather like that on the horizon.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    You know Jim Thorpe has some options, and Jacobsburg state park has trails that are wide and would be fun for a younger person.

Just thinking out loud.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Keep thinking out loud. I'm writing down all these suggestions and will check into them all. I try to ride al winter long cause I need the exercise but my son really only gets out when it's nice outside, so it likely won't be for a little while. Just trying to get a jump on some of the planning. Thanks everyone and keep them coming.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    BAMBA in Berks county does a few kids rides a year. I've taken my kids on BAMBA rides and they absolutely loved it. They are a great group of people and work extremely well with kids.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    nox would be my recommendation for kids, but as previously stated their trails are currently closed due to conditions.

trexler puts on some kids rides during trexfest i believe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    probably unrideable now but if you park at the fire tower lot on the Burma road you have the road to the fire tower and there are tones of trail around there although some trails are very rocky but you can find enough to tool around on with your kid

mtbr member
    I'm going to echo the recommendations for Swatara's singletrack.
    It's a series of loops with connecting trails, so you can tailor the length of the ride to the fitness and ability of your son. (Note that 'D' Loop probably has the most roots.)
    Trails are very well maintained by SAMBA.
    As was mentioned, there is also a rail trail within the park.

Trexler Nature Preserve is another option, though it may be a bit of a drive, depending on your location. It's right off Rte 309 and has some great trails. There are hills, but few roots and rocks. Different from what we are used to up in the mountains.
    Unfortunately, a couple of the trails have been recently shut down, but are being rebuilt in a different location within the park by the VMB.
    As was mentioned, every year there is a kid's day at the trails, sponsored by the VMB. I checked it out last year to show my support. I think your son would really enjoy the activities.

Where in 'the Skook' are you located?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm in Brockton. I'll be checking out all these places. I'm as interested in the myself as I am for him. thanks for all the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkranked View Post
    nox would be my recommendation for kids, but as previously stated their trails are currently closed due to conditions.

trexler puts on some kids rides during trexfest i believe.
    Nox, white clay de, six mile nj would be my choices.
    Next level would be marsh creek(a little more climbing).

edit: core creek park is totally do-able just too boring to get kids interested.