Just bought my first bike!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Just bought my first bike!

Just bought my first mountain bike, and was looking at all the amazing places to ride in the Pittsburgh area. I've only lived up here for a short time, but The trials I've seen pictures/video of look amazing. Looking to do downhill type stuff, but after buying my bike, I was told on a forum that I got the wrong thing for doing downhill. (Giant Anthem X 29er 4)

Just bought my first bike!-usiqs1p.jpg
    Last edited by mclaughlin006; 10-01-2014 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a picture!

mtbr member
    Your bike will be fine for everything in the Pittsburgh area. If you want to do downhill then you gotta go to 7 Springs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've been watching videos on 7 springs and North Park. Both look like a lot of fun, but this being my first bike, I have some learning to do

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Your bike is currently far better and more skilled than you are, and can even take light bike park (downhill) duty. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Congrats, now go out and get some protective gear!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just got in some protective gear. My girl kinda strong-armed me into getting a lot of it, but here's the list:

Giro Cipher Helmet
    Oakley Crowbar Goggles
    Fox Titan Sport Jacket
    Fox Head Bomber Gloves
    G-Form Pro-X Knee/Shin combo

Even though that Fox Titan is pretty comfortable and extremely light, I'm wondering if I should have gotten the Leatt 3DF AirFit Body Protector. I saw it, only after I'd placed my order for the other stuff.

I like the fact that the Fox jacket has kidney protection, where the 3DF doesn't. I like how the Leatt has removable padding, and is already set up for the Leatt neck braces, should I ever decide to wear one.

Any of you guys used both? Advice?

Thanks,

Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    For 7 Springs DH riding, that will be out of its place. A good all-mountain or dedicated DH rig w/ atleast 140mm of travel in front & rear is important to ride there, BUT you can always rent their $3000 DH rigs for ~$65 a day (it's a lot of fun).

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've been told that, in another forum, as well. Pretty bummed out about it, to be honest. All I've done is taken one lap around the neighborhood on it, nothing but pavement. Wonder if it's possible to return it

mtbr member
    The protective gear and the bike you posted are at opposite ends of the spectrum. The anthem is an XC bike and that gear is full on DH. I think you'd be better off with a bit more travel and more aggressive geometry based on what you *think* you want to ride. I think a Trance would be a good bike for you. Keep in mind even with a trance you'll likely want to rent at 7springs. You can make a 140mm bike work there if you're smooth or avoid the big stuff.

Also keep in mind that a lot people think they're going to shred DH when they get into biking. The reality is usually it's not feasible to DH every day or every weekend depending on where you live so you may end up riding a lot more XC/all mountain than what you think.

mtbr member
    "Measure twice, cut once"... more research before you buy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    Also keep in mind that a lot people think they're going to shred DH when they get into biking. The reality is usually it's not feasible to DH every day or every weekend depending on where you live so you may end up riding a lot more XC/all mountain than what you think.
    That's a pretty awesome bike compared to what I've got. Just ride it. You'll have lots of fun, and you'll learn big rock and jump limitations on DH. All your other rides will be good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well, I decided to go back by ProBikes and let them know I bought the wrong bike. Figured they'd tell me since I'd had it for 4 days, they couldn't take it back, but figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

Talked to Chuck, who sold me the Anthem X 29er, and he instantly said I could bring the Anthem back! He said that they just want to make sure I've got the right bike for me, and want their customers to be happy. I hadn't taken it off the pavement, but I did have it at home for several days, they didn't have to take it back.

Anyway, here's the new ride:

Just bought my first bike!-20141002_183923.jpg

mtbr member
    Hell yeah, that's more my style! That is an awesome ride. Stealth dropper, i23 rims, thru axle fork. Is that a stektor up front?

Congrats and glad they took care of you. Now go rip that thing!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Dietz,

It is a Sektor Gold RL, up front. Good eye!

I've just been goofing around in the neighborhood and the yard, but the amount of control I feel I have over this thing is incredible. Can't wait to get it out on the trails.

Can't go tomorrow, there's just way too many great college football games on tomorrow. Maybe Sunday? Was thinking North Park, but not sure where I should really go on my first ride. When I say first ride, i really mean FIRST ride. Haven't had a bike in 10 - 12 years, and this is my first nice one.

Suggestions on where to go where there are noob friendly folks and some great trails to learn on?

Like a BOSS
    Quote Originally Posted by mclaughlin006 View Post
    Well, I decided to go back by ProBikes and let them know I bought the wrong bike...

...Anyway, here's the new ride:
    Quote Originally Posted by mclaughlin006 View Post
    Was thinking North Park, but not sure where I should really go on my first ride. When I say first ride, i really mean FIRST ride. Haven't had a bike in 10 - 12 years...
    Awesome! Glad it all worked out for you. Enjoy your first ride!
    Adam Christopher
    Strava
    Instagram
    YouTube

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm fairly new to mountain biking as well. Bought my first FS bike this summer.....Santa Cruz 5010. White Park in Morgantown is a great place to ride and it's impossible to get lost as the trails are marked really well. Also has a few log jumps built by some of the locals. Let me know if you want to head a little south. I live in Uniontown.