Jim Thorpe- Mtbr.com

Thread: Jim Thorpe

likes bicycles

Jim Thorpe

I'm planning on doing an overnight camp on June 5 and ride in the early morning of Monday, June 6. Judging by the trail reviews, I was leaning towards Switchback Trail 1. It's supposed to be very scenic, and the technical rocky downhill sounds like my kinda riding. Is this a good plan? Also, any recommendations on where to camp? Anyone willing to guide?

Thanks!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by vitale232
    I'm planning on doing an overnight camp on June 5 and ride in the early morning of Monday, June 6. Judging by the trail reviews, I was leaning towards Switchback Trail 1. It's supposed to be very scenic, and the technical rocky downhill sounds like my kinda riding. Is this a good plan? Also, any recommendations on where to camp? Anyone willing to guide?

Thanks!
    The Switchback is pretty straight forward. Where are you planning on starting from?

likes bicycles
    I'm into rocky singletrack, and after a little more research I think the American Standard is more my cup of tea. I'll probably stay at the Jim Thorpe Camping Resort on Rt. 209. Any experience with the campsite/trail?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

I have camped there and always good response.

American Standard Lot's of "ROCKS"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think American Standard is on game-land, it never stopped me but be warned. If you want some really fun technical downhills check out the "Twin Peaks" ride it follows the ridge lines of the mountains flanking Mauch Chunk Lake, both campgrounds are at the bottom of the valley that these two ridges create. The actual switchback and ridge trails are boring but there are a lot of hidden gems dropping down from the tops of the ridges, particularly the switchback railroad side. Don't give up on Thorpe, it's easy, if you don't know your way around, to ride a whole weekend without getting a really good trail. If you stick with it and get to know it, there is some great riding of all types. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    If you want rocks and wanna chance it hit the American Standard, or the Deer Paths'. Again though they are closed because they are on game lands. Psycho Betty's Revenge has some nice rocky sections and Bob's Bailout is a nail biter to get down, it will drop you into Mauch Chunk Lake Area.

Have fun, I miss the riding there, a lot.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    Rocky singletrack? Hit Nesquehoning ridge!

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by vitale232
    I'll probably stay at the Jim Thorpe Camping Resort on Rt. 209.
    I have a permanent site there, you won't find a better campground anywhere. Unfortunately I won't be there that weekend or I'd give you the .50 cent tour.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

The area is big enough I wouldn't even worry about taking any one trail. Just meander about- I had written directions from a bike shop for the Broad Mountain Loop, and I swear I followed the directions to a tee, but apparently I didn't, and I somehow ended up on American Standard lol. I had fun though, but I could tell there was SO MUCH I didn't even get to explore. A GPS would help if you have one. If not at least take a compass to keep your bearing. I got really deep into the woods and didn't know which way I was pointed anymore ha ha

likes bicycles
    thanks for all the good replies everyone. no gps here, so that's not gonna help. anybody know of a good map that can be printed/purchased that has some trails on it? i'm really only passing through at the end of a mtbing road trip and hitting JT as one last ride.

Bummer about the game lands. How big a risk is it to hit the trails regardless? anybody hear stories of buddies gettin tagged with fines or anything of the sort?

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The bike shops right in town have maps for sale, I can't vouch for their accuracy though, lol.

As far as game lands, I wouldn't sweat it- according to this:

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...1003&pp=12&n=1

...the only thing in season are Spring Gobblers and that ends on May 31st, nothing for June.

I've been biking up there three times this past month and haven't seen a hunter, all I've seen are other mountain bikers. Just wear bright colors. I also wouldn't worry about fines. Probably 70% of the good trails are in the state game land area, and the bike shop I stopped at gave me maps that had me on that land, so I don't think it's an issue.

Plus today when I entered onto the state gamelands from Rt 93 all the signs at the gate said nothing about no bicycles allowed.

those are Rollercams...
    Right here.

http://jttrails.wordpress.com/maps/

The site is run by a member here, JimThorpeTrails by the name of Lath Carlson. He's a local/racer who's been published in Dirt Rag.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0