J. Edward Mack Scout Reservation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

J. Edward Mack Scout Reservation

Update:
    E-mail list- I have been having computer issues and have to use an old e-mail list. Please forward this to your friends and ask them to reply to me to help rebuild the list ([email protected]).
    Snakes-In all of my cub scout through trail building years, I have never seen a copperhead in Camp Mack. We now have them, as Gary (The Ranger) was bitten at the tent platforms off of Ridge Camp road. Please be careful and aware and if the worst happens, please seek medical attention immediately.
    Passes- We have an issue that if left unchecked will jeopardize the continued use of the Camp. If you do not have a valid pass don't go into the camp until you have one. If your friends don't have one, urge them to ride elsewhere until they get one at Green Mountain Cyclery (Check made out to the PA Dutch council $25/12 months). We are to a point that I will be organizing a screening station inside the camp on select days. If you would like to help, please contact me.
    Hurricane- The Camp faired pretty well compared to surrounding areas. I have cut out about 5 trees and left some in that mother nature will have to finish off before I touch them.
    Work Day

Light Trail- We have been slowly trying to get the rebuild complete this summer, but we need a good push to get this done.

When: Sunday September 25th at 1:00 pm. Meet at main pavilion and then drive to light trail.

What to bring:
    Boots or sturdy shoes
    Gloves
    What SAMBA will bring:
    Tools
    Water
    If you can make it, please respond so I can plan accordingly.

Matt Myers
    SAMBA-
    Trail Coordinator J. E. Mack Scout Reservation
    Last edited by LititzDude; 09-05-2011 at 06:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Is the Ranger ok? I may be coming out to the trail work day but not sure yet. I would like to help with the light trail even though I have never ridden that one. I will PM you if I can make it!
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Oh BTW, Thanks to all who helped rebuild Light Trail! Finally got out to ride it today and its better than ever
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes, thanks for Light trail! Rode it for the first time this morning and I gotta say you guys must have had a fun time building it. First trail at Mack I've ridden that seems to have a sense of humor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzoblue View Post
    Yes, thanks for Light trail! Rode it for the first time this morning and I gotta say you guys must have had a fun time building it. First trail at Mack I've ridden that seems to have a sense of humor
    Glad you liked it. Not sure I understand the humor part, but I will take it as a compliment

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LititzDude View Post
    Glad you liked it. Not sure I understand the humor part, but I will take it as a compliment
    Definitely a compliment. Humorous parts where like the big hump you had to go over with the easier part next to it semi-blocked by a log, then the part where the trail could go in any direction but heads straight for a fallen try you have to dismount to get under. Stuff that made me smile.

P.S.
    There's a downhill run that I loved, Ridge Camp where it goes singletrack and drops to Hammer Creek. Takes my breath away. It was doable about a month ago, but now has a lot of branches and stuff. What's the rules on taking matters into my own saw blade bearing hands?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I wouldnt recommend trying to work on the trails yourself. SAMBA is the trail work people that do the trail work at Gretna, Camp Mack, and Swatara. They do an amazing job with all the trails!
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad Rider 415 View Post
    I wouldnt recommend trying to work on the trails yourself. SAMBA is the trail work people that do the trail work at Gretna, Camp Mack, and Swatara. They do an amazing job with all the trails!
    Trail work is handled by SAMBA and to use a chainsaw I had to get certified by the BSA. Anything a small folding saw would handle, please help yourself.

The hump is the easier line for bikes going downhill. The log is easier going uphill. The tree fell after the line was established and will be taken out at some point.

Matt

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It is true that trail work is organized by SAMBA at Swatara, Camp Mack and Governor Dick. The great thing I see happening more frequently is the trail volunteers are comprised of many types of trail users, For instance, at GD most volunteers are bikers and hikers and now several equestrians have been helping out too. Therefore, you do not need to be a SAMBA member to show up and participate but it does help our cause and there is strength in numbers.

I agree with Matt about using a hand saw. If you can remove a fallen tree or bush have at it!! Also feel free to remove debris from the trail tread instead of riding over it. Trust me, we need all the help we can get and it is well appreciated. Only a few people at GD have permission to use a chain saw due to liability issues.

Glad to hear folks are enjoying Light Trail. Matt did a great job with the design and over time it will get better once ridden in. Beats riding the road any day!!!

TheDuchess

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Matt, Awesome design on Light. Andy and I and Reed hit it last week. Once it is broken in, it will be excellent. Very nice job!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Was Light trail just rebuilt or redesigned? I only rode the trail once before it was messed up from the logging and only remember the 2 "dips" at the bottom.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad Rider 415 View Post
    Was Light trail just rebuilt or redesigned? I only rode the trail once before it was messed up from the logging and only remember the 2 "dips" at the bottom.
    The only old are the two dips at the end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cleaned up the last 3/4 of Camp Ridge trail today. Check it out if you get the chance! Very fun downhill.
    I didn't cut any, two logs on the trail but they seem more like challenges than hazards so i left them. Cleaned up the leaves to check for surprises and got all the branches and junk out of the way, so even if the leaves come back it's still pretty safe.