J. Edward Mack Scout Reservation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

J. Edward Mack Scout Reservation

This is what I sent out to all the 2005 permit holders over the last two weeks. If you ride there or want to ride there, please read this.

FIRST E-MAIL
    All Camp Mack 2005 permit holders:

The Susquehanna Area Mountain Bike Association (SAMBA) and the Pa Dutch Council of the BSA have been working together to modify the permit system, and introduce trail maintenance and construction for the trail system at Camp Mack. SAMBA is involved at Mount Gretna, Swatara and now Camp Mack. With this new responsibility, we are asking that everyone that purchases a permit for Mack, also becomes a member of SAMBA. We have a great opportunity, to work with the BSA and show them what can be accomplished after the recent tree harvest, and this can only happen with everyone participating.

We are currently updating the application to reflect the changes that the BSA and SAMBA have agreed to.
    These changes will include:
    Reduced permit cost and guest rider opportunities.
    Permits will be purchased through a local bike shop, and will not be available through the BSA in Lancaster.
    3 scheduled trail service days (Camp clean up day, Spring and Fall)
    I hope to have the new permits available in the next two weeks, and will follow with an e-mail on the details. If you have any questions please ask.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SECOND E-MAIL

Starting Jan. 2 the new 2006 Camp Mack permit applications will be available for $25/yr from Mike Farrington at Green Mountain Cyclery in Ephrata (859-2422). The permits will not be available from the scout office in Lancaster. The new applications will have a map of the camp with the summer boundary and a list of dates the Camp will be closed to mountain biking and the dates for trail work at the camp. Prior to the work dates, details will be forwarded as to what will be scheduled and what to bring with you. The Camp application will also have an application to Join SAMBA, and I urge everyone to fill it out and send it in.

Before going to Green Mountain Please.
    Bring your old tag with you. If you do not have a tag, Mike can issue a new plastic one with the 2006 sticker.
    Make your check/money order payable to Pennsylvania Dutch Council BSA
    Any questions about the permit system please call me.

Matt Myers
    [email protected]
    Home 717.626.3193

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by LititzDude; 01-02-2006 at 01:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    never ridden there but heard a few good things...

how much trail do they have over there? i'd be interested if you'd think it was worth the trip from philly to check out sometime.

mtbr member

Trail Milage???

I don't have a trail milage number, but the reservation is about 850 acres.

calculated risk taker
    Glad to see someone has come to their senses. $50 for a permit was just way too much. Are all users required to get a permit or just biker's? I've ridden the trails in this area and it seems to me that only a small fraction of the trail network is actually on camp Mack property. The otherside of 322 has trails in gamelands and another camp area. Too bad this couldn't be a collabrative effort to manage the entire trail network.

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by scubabike420
    The otherside of 322 has trails in gamelands and another camp area. Too bad this couldn't be a collabrative effort to manage the entire trail network.

Well, this is a great step in that direction! Hopefully this will get the riders of this area better organized and solidify SAMBA. The planned trail work days at Camp Mack, along with the successful effort well underway at Swatara State Park, will hopefully go a long way in showing the PGC that more trails could and should be "designated" in this area. There is a great network of trails across the road, but unfortunatly the only "designated" trail over there right now is the HST, and the fire road.

The advocacy effort is finally getting some feet and hands around here. After the PGC closed the SGL trails, there were so many frustrated riders, but no organized effort to fight for our access. Thanks to some individuals who have taken the time and effort (thank you!), the pendulum is swinging back. Baby steps right now though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    Well, this is a great step in that direction! Hopefully this will get the riders of this area better organized and solidify SAMBA. The planned trail work days at Camp Mack, along with the successful effort well underway at Swatara State Park, will hopefully go a long way in showing the PGC that more trails could and should be "designated" in this area. There is a great network of trails across the road, but unfortunatly the only "designated" trail over there right now is the HST, and the fire road.

The advocacy effort is finally getting some feet and hands around here. After the PGC closed the SGL trails, there were so many frustrated riders, but no organized effort to fight for our access. Thanks to some individuals who have taken the time and effort (thank you!), the pendulum is swinging back. Baby steps right now though.
    Well, I'm sure Transue will chime in here, but I think the SGL is a tough situation. First, most of the trails there don't actually exist in their eyes, "like unauthorized" Second, they don't want us. The hunters are so well organized (lots of years), that they have a lot of pull. Bikers are mostly solitary, people, and don't even send in their $30 IMBA fee, so we can say HEY WE HAVE 15,000 RIDERS IN PA AND LISTEN TO US. That's what will change it. Face it most of us have at least $1000 in a bicycle, and can't even join IMBA...As I step off my soap box.......Matt

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by LititzDude
    Well, I'm sure Transue will chime in here, but I think the SGL is a tough situation. First, most of the trails there don't actually exist in their eyes, "like unauthorized" Second, they don't want us. The hunters are so well organized (lots of years), that they have a lot of pull. Bikers are mostly solitary, people, and don't even send in their $30 IMBA fee, so we can say HEY WE HAVE 15,000 RIDERS IN PA AND LISTEN TO US. That's what will change it. Face it most of us have at least $1000 in a bicycle, and can't even join IMBA...As I step off my soap box.......Matt
    True...Hunting has been around many generations and has organized groups to keep access to, and aquire lands. Mountain biking is an infant by comparison. There are many people who ride a while then move on to something else....they usually never get in to the advocacy side of it.
    It's more so up to the people who have a long term passion for the sport to get involved with making sure that future generations will have trails to ride. You make a good point however, that bikers are mostly solitary people....even getting together friends for a group ride is like herding cats.
    I have hope that things will change at the PGC, Vernon Ross is leaving, and the rest of them, well, they can't all be bad can they??. But I didn't intend to make this in to another thread about the game commission, best to let sleeping dogs lie and lying dogs sleep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    True...Hunting has been around many generations and has organized groups to keep access to, and aquire lands. Mountain biking is an infant by comparison. There are many people who ride a while then move on to something else....they usually never get in to the advocacy side of it.
    It's more so up to the people who have a long term passion for the sport to get involved with making sure that future generations will have trails to ride. You make a good point however, that bikers are mostly solitary people....even getting together friends for a group ride is like herding cats.
    I have hope that things will change at the PGC, Vernon Ross is leaving, and the rest of them, well, they can't all be bad can they??. But I didn't intend to make this in to another thread about the game commission, best to let sleeping dogs lie and lying dogs sleep.
    I agree, dogs and all that, but the cat part is really funny, but true. We are doing good things at Mack, and will continue to be a good asset for the Camp.

Members who have read this thread: 0